Urology Expert Forum
Cystitus /Elmiron/Pre-lief. Pain correlation to severity?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cystitus /Elmiron/Pre-lief. Pain correlation to severity?

I have been diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis after recieving two cystoscopies and a biopsy.  During the two cystoscopies I was able to see the peocedure on a computer monitor.  There was a roundish red blotch on the otherwise white interior of my bladder.  The biopsy confirmed the diagnosis as cystitis.  I subsequently started treatment with Elmiron.  I noticed no improvement after a few months. Then I also started taking Pre-lief which takes the acid out of food.  To my amazement the pain was reduced dramatically.  I asked my urologist if I still needed to take the Elmiron, and he said yes, it would help to rebuild the bladder wall.  My question is this:

Does the reduction in pain correlate to a healthier, healing bladder wall or just to less irritation?

Does cystitis continue to progress even if the irritant (acid) is removed from contact with the bladder wall?

Does Elmiron work?  I have read many articles that state simply "sprinkling" the Elmiron (pentosan polysulfate sodium)over the area of cystitis does no good even if the mucus lining of the bladder is composed of (how much I don't know)pentosan polysulfate sodium.

Thank you.