Urology Community
Cystoscopy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Cystoscopy

Anyone had a Cystoscopy? I have to get one on January 18th and worried - is there pain afterwards? Bleeding? My ultrasound scan showed my bladder didn't quite empty completely so cystoscopy is next step. I've had low abdominal pain for months when I wake up in the morning - as soon as I stand up the pain goes. Anybody out there got any answers?
I had one about 3 weeks ago. I was put under during mine which I totally recommend...you wake up and you're done...was much less stressful in my opinion. Anyway, that night urination was painful but was not extreme. By day three peeing was normal and painfree. Overall the procedure was much less of a nightmare then what I anticipated. Trust me...you'll be fine. Do not sweat it.
After having a bladder tumor removed four years ago, I've had regular cystoscopies every three months to check for recurrence. I can add the same sentiment: it is not that bad. As JohmMG said, you will have a little pain urinating for a couple of days, but then you'll be fine. BTW, I don't get put under, but that's a personal choice. Good luck.
Thanks guys - I feel better after reading your comments. I have to have a colonoscopy on the Tuesday and then a cystoscopy on the Friday. Reckon I'll just be recovering from the trauma of Picolax laxative and colonoscopy itself before having the cystoscopy so I've been worried about it. I am being put under for the procedure thankfully - don't think I'd manage without that! Do painkillers help to relieve the pain when urinating?
Actually, anyone will tell you the colonoscopy itself is a breeze since you'll be under.    The night before is not fun; just grab some reading material and prepare to spend a lot of time in the bathroom.

I've taken Vicodin in the past after the cysto and it did not help much. It is not an agonizing pain, anyway. For me, it is just a strong stinging sensation. Again, don't sweat it too much; you'll probably find the conoscopy prep to be tougher.
Thanks keyzersoce - I know I'm going a bit off topic here but I have to go into hospital to be given the Picolax before my colonoscopy as I have a heart problem and my meds for that will be 'flushed out' with the Picolax. Worried that I will be given a bed in a 6 bed ward with one toilet. Can you imagine taking Picolax and having to wait in line for a toilet! I've decided if they don't give me a room with my own toilet I'm coming home.
If a Cystoscopy is when the urologist puts a camera into your bladder for a look around then this was my experience. By the way, I posted for the first time this am-12/30/07; any help would be appreciated

I was in and out of my urologist office in 30 minutes, that included the Cystoscopy.  I was offered no suggestion to be put out and nothing was said at all about what to expect afterwards. The more I think about this the madder I get.

It was very easy, some minor discomfort a couple of time but that was it. Please don't worry about it if what I'm explaining is the usual Cystoscopy.  The urologist was able to tell me that my bladder looked fine. He didn't tell me that afterwards I might have some pain & discomfort and I did.  If I had it to do all over again and I am going to go for more answers, I would take a list of questions.  By the way the discomfort afterwards was not bad just wish I had known about it.

I hope that helps a little.

Happy New Year and good health
Sorry to hear about your bad experience; sounds like a rushed and/or uncaring doctor's office. It shouldn't be that rushed for you and they should have given you more info. You are right to have a list of questions and not leave till you are satisfied you have answers. Good luck.
I to have to have a cystoscopy.  After reading these postings I called around to check with the urologists to see about being put under or an epidural which I would prefer.  The first several said all they do is the numbing gel end of story.  I did find one that said to options are on a case by case bases.  I guess I will go to this one to see what they say.  They also said they could give something orally, I guess this is some sort of sedation.  Has anyone had any of this?
That is what they gave me, they just swabbed the area with a numbing get and that seemed to be enough to make the procedure fairly easy.  I wish I'd been warned about the discomfort after the cystoscopy; as I said, the nurse was leaving the room afterwards saying you can get dressed now: she didn't hand me a cloth or point to a box of cloths so I could get cleaned up.  I can't believe how rushed and uncaring that nurse and doctor were to me.  I seems it is just a job and we are only pawns to be routinely dealt with. I believe in being pro-active and they certainly heard about my experience "toot-sweet"!  

Good luck with your results, the test is nothing to worry about; but we do anyway, don't we :)