Urology Community
Cytoscopy necessary at age 38 ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Cytoscopy necessary at age 38 ?

My urologist is telling me that since I am 38 years old, its time to do a Cytoscopy.  I know that with things like PSA tests, you are supposed to have them once a year starting at age 40 or 50.  Is there some rule with Cytoscopies that they need to be done by the time you're 38 ?  I really ... really ... really do not want to go through the procedure when I have zero symptoms of anything going wrong.  I dont understand why he's even ordering it.  I had issues with 1 day of being unable to urinate about 5 years ago.  There was microscopic blood in my urine (not visible).  I've been 100% fine ever since.  But because of that, and because of:: "How old are you again?"   .... "38" ..... "Ah!  Yes its time" .... he wants to do one.  Thoughts?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you?  What other diagnostic tests were done? Indications of cystoscopy include frequent urinary tract infections, hematuria, loss of bladder control , overactive bladder, unusual cells found in urine sample, need for a bladder catheter, painful urination, urinary blockage such as prostate enlargement or stricture, stone in the urinary tract or unusual growth.  Any of these conditions that are present in your medial history warrant cytoscopy. If you are not comfortable with this procedure, it is best that you talk to your doctor about this. Discuss the initial diagnosis being considered and if there are any other non-invasive tests that may be done. Take care and do keep us posted.
"Any of these conditions that are present in your medial history warrant cytoscopy."

Even if it was 4 years ago, lasted only 1 day, and I have been 100% fine ever since???  Wouldn't those types of symptoms tend to recur over and over until something is done about them?  

I was only unable to urinate one day.  Went to urgent care.  They found blood in my urine (microscopically) gave me antibiotic and it went away never to return.

This was my original question above.  If it was 4 years ago and no current symptoms since, is the Cytoscopy warranted just because i happen to be 38?
A Cytoscopy may be a good idea if you had any problems.  I had mine at age 72 and was surprised that it was not painful.  You do feel a pinch when the anesthesia is administrated.  It is apparently injected up the urethane by a pen like device.  Ask the doctor to let you see the monitor--it is interesting.