Urology Community
Dark purple spot on head of penis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Dark purple spot on head of penis

Last night I noticed a dark purple spot on the right side of the head of my penis. I was very worried and went to the ER.  The doctor in the ER said it was a bruised contusion hematoma (I think he said it's like a blood blister or something like that I think).  He gave me this ointment - called mupirocin ointment (2%). I don't remember how often he told me to use it and how long I would need to use it before this hematoma went away. I have not started taking it yet. I'd like to learn more about it incase of some crazy side effects

ER Doc said it was not an STD or anything too serious, but just being the fact I've never had an issue like this on my penis, is still making a bit nervous.

Has anyone ever had this problem before as well and can let me know how long before it goes away or can let me know if this ointment really works, how often I should use it or if I really even need the ointment at all and just let the hematoma thing go away on it's own? Also should I not have any intercourse or anything of such while I have it?

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Mupirocin is a topical antibiotic. If a hematoma is being considered here and no discharge is noted on the surface, no bumps or blisters are noted on the penile shaft, then this may not be something that requires  antibiotics at this point. Just observe the affected area. Watch out for any increase in size of the purplish spots. Also watch out for any pain, swelling, and spread of the spots to other parts of the body. If this is hematoma, this should revert to normal skin spontaneously.

i have the same problem me and my sex partner have been active for a month now and we recentlly slept together but it was really rough, the next day i woke up and showered and noticed a dark purple almost bruise llooking single spot on the head of my penis, should i be worried? or is it hematoma as you have?
i have a dark purple spot on the head of my penis aswell. ive never thought enything of it and had it for about 3 years ive had no symptoms. but i wish it would go away.
I have the same thing, I'm not to worried about it because I've had it for years and its the same size ever since and it doesnt go away, I haven't had symptoms and hope to god its nothing bad. Let us hope its nothing bad, and hope for the best for everyone who has this problem.
Just dont think negative think positive!

Goodluck to all aswell as me and just live life!
May God protect us all.
I have a wired symptom the head of my penis is very sore and inside my penis it has dark purple every time I look at it it makes me want to throw up and I don't know what this is from can u tell me what it is I don't know if it's serious or not
Every where
I have somewhat of the same thing. I had it for two years now it's purple and red on my left sode of my penis it's the size of a dime. It's purple on the bottom and red on top. Does anyone know what this could be
i've had one for over 10 yrs.. freaked me out for a while expecially as i'd prob just turned 20, so i thought girlfiend would notice.
hasn't changed or been uncomfortable at all.. Girlfriends have never even mentioned it, so mayb it's quite common.. or mayb they even like a little 'raised nipple'  ; )