Urology Expert Forum
Dead Testicle

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Dead Testicle

I suffered a testicle trauma 4 months ago.  I had a lot of pain in/around my left testicle for some time after.  The scrotum swelled up in the following days and varicose veins on the left side became very pronounced.  The swelling has now gone but I seem to be getting pains around my left testicle when in the sitting position for long periods, i.e. long drives etc.  After getting up and walking the pain goes away.  The testicle seems slightly numb relative to right.  This may be due to a hydracele that developed after the incident.

Can an infarcted (dead) testicle maintain a normal size?

Can it cause pain several months after its death?

Is there any way to determine whether a tesicle has died?

My worries are that the testicle was starved of blood, died and then blood supply returned.  Would this offset atrophy?

Tags: testicle, Pain
It may be possible for an infarcted testicle to maintain a normal size.  The pain would vary from patient to patient.  

At this time, I would suggest a testicular ultrasound.  This would determine if there is appropriate blood flow to the testicle, or if there is another scrotal disease present that needs to be considered.

This can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a urology referral.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, is dead tesicle worm or cold. was started.