Urology Community
Deliberate holding back of urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Deliberate holding back of urine

I am a 23 year old female. I have a strange problem. When I was in 9th grade I had to hold back urine once  physically after which I started doing it frequently for a while and soon it became a habit since there was hardly any time after I get the urge to pee. Although the situation becomes normal if I consciously try to avoid holding back, the problem resurfaces if I hold back for long time deliberately. For the past 9 years I have been doing it. Sometimes I do it deliberately when I am depressed without realizing the consequences. Now although I don't have any problems as yet I am afraid of having done this for the past so many years and I am afraid if it might have caused permanent damage or even cancer. This thought has been eating me for a long time and since I am afraid and embarrassed to discuss it with anyone I am posting it in the forum. Of late I have stopped doing it and I dont have any problems. I am 23 and the past and the consequences it may have is preventing me from being optimistic about the future. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. I am really worried. Thank you very much.
Tags: urine, holding