Urology Community
Difficulty to urinate after foley catheter removal
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Difficulty to urinate after foley catheter removal

I travelled to US recently to visit friends. The day after I arrived (after a long flight - 17 hours), I found it difficult to pass urine, and had to be taken to ER. I was cathetirized, and foley catheter was inserted. The doctor diagnosed my condition as BPH, and put me on 2 drugs (Folex and Avodart). After a week, the FC was removed. However, I still could not pass urine in the normal way (amount, flow etc.), and hence had to be recatheterized. I was on the re-inserted FC for a further 3 weeks, and it was removed yesterday. It took around 5-6 hours for a small amount of urine to flow, but I am experiencing an improvement in flow over the past 12 hours, where the flow and volume has started to increase gradually. Is it normal to have this sort of development after removal of a foley catheter? Do I need to do some excercises to regain normal bladder control and urine flow? Your response and advice would be much appreciated.