Discomfort on Penis Tip - enlarged prostate
I'm 49 years old and in good health. About 10 months ago I saw a urologist for some pain in my epididus and discomfort "inside" my penis. Took some antibiotic and was then OK. 6 weeks ago the shaft of my penis was extremely itchy, then the tip of my penis was very sore and red. I had a burning feeling at the tip immediately after urniation (not during). The tip became worse. I saw a urologist and have been on Levaquin for 4 weeks. During the exam, he said I had an enlarged prostate - likley an infection and a urethral infection. After about a 5 days on Levaquin I felt better. After two weeks my symptoms essentially disappeared. But - 5 days ago they returned - not as much as before - but uncomfortable. It is always better in the morning and worse at night and much better if I take a bath. I do not have blisters, sores, dischrge, or oozing. The area around the urehtral opening  is red and sore at times, a bullseye around the target sort to speak. The urologist said symptoms can return and this is fairly normal. Can you offer any advice - when might these symptoms subside? And does the diagnosis and course of treatment sound correct? Anything I can do to mitigate the symptoms? Thanks.
The extended course of antibiotics is a reasonable initial treatment to treat for prostatitis.  You can also consider a transrectal ultrasound to image the prostate.  

If infection has been completely ruled out you can look at causes such as a urethral stricture or polyp as well as causes of dermatitis.  

A cystoscopy can be done as well as an evaluation by a dermatologist.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
0
0
0
0
A related discussion, PAIN AT TIP OF PENIS was started.