Urology Community
Does an infant treated for pyelonephritis once need VCUG test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

My 7 month old son had an UTI and doctors, seeing SED rate of above 80, called it pylenophritis and treated him with antibiotics for a week. Now after 6 weeks, they want to do VCUG test to see if he has any reflux issues.

My question is does he really need to get the test done, because he didn't have any recurrent UTI. I hate to see the baby go through the procedure.

Thanks in advance
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I think you should get the test done as the reflux is one of the commonest causes of an upper UTI in children and this needs to be ruled out. I do understand of your concern for the small child to undergo a procedure is easier said. Still for the sake of the child, I’ll suggest you to get the test done. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Thanks Doctor

I guess we just have to get prepared then.