Urology Community
Double Ureter
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Double Ureter

Hello,
My daughter is a year and a half old. She was diagnosed with a Double ureter system on the left kidney , during the ultrasounds that my wife had during her pregnancy. For the first 2 month of her life she was on antibiotics, and we stopped it when she seemed to suffer from stomach pains.
She also has  a Hiphronephrosis on the upper ureter. All this time we had quite a few US tests and VCUG tests (simulations) and MAG-3 tests. The tests show that the Kidneys seem to function 100% (45% with the double ureter, and 55% the other kidney) There is no reflux.
During the past year she had only one infection and we took her to the O.R to get antibiotics for a week.
We went to 2 Urologists and a Nefrologist and they all seem to be in agreement that in order to avoid problems in the future, the upper part of the kidney (which according to the tests is non functional) should be taken out surgically.
My questions are:
1) Do we really have to have such an operation ?
2) Nobody seems to be able to tell us where the Ureter ends. Is there a medical test that we can do to give us a better understanding of the double system ? Is MRI recommended ? What will it show us ?
3) What is more risky the procedure of taking the non functional part of the kidney and the Ureter out, or leaving it all in ?
4)  If indeed we need to have this procedure done, how risky is it ? Is it a complicated procedure ?