Urology Expert Forum
Dull Penis Pain

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Dull Penis Pain

Two days ago I had a clear discharge from my penis that lasted for about 12 hours off and on.  Today, I have noticed a dull pain on the tip of my penis.  I have been looking at it regularly for the last few days, and going to the bathroom a lot to check it out and going (I usually have drips as well after I am done).  My doctor gave me some ZMAX yesterday, but that was before the dull pain.  also, about six months ago, I had unprotected sex and ended up getting flu like symptoms right after.  I went to the doctor and had the usual tests for herpes/hiv which both came back negative, but now I am worried i have those.  Also, there is dry skin around the head and foreskin of my penis, mostly on one side.  My penis was irritated after a non-intercourse sexual experience 6 days ago.  I guess my questions are just, what can it be and should i be worried about herpes?  Also, how long does it take for ZMAX to work, as it is a "one day/one dose" drug?
ZMax was probably given to treat chlamydia.  However, if that was the case, that is not the right forumlation to treat this.  The standard 4 pill dose of Zithromax is normally needed to treat chalmydia.

You should be tested with either a urine sample or urethral swab to look for STDs.  

Prostatitis should also be considered, and can be evaluated with a digital rectal exam as well as urine testing.

If infection has been ruled out, you can consider a cystoscopy to look for anatomical causes of the pain (i.e. either a urethral stricture or urethral polyp).

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
0