Urology Community
Early signs of a possible kidney problem??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Hello doctor, I'm a 27 year old male, recently in the last few weeks I have been going in large amounts, maybe 20 seconds per void during micturition, but then 30 minutes later I would void again in the same amount after I only had a 16oz bottle of water during that time frame and this has never happen to me before, Ive always had a strong bladder. I have no dysuria but my urinary stream is weaker than normal. I also tend to have pelvic pain after urination. I was diagnosed with Chronic Prostatitis/CPPS which could explain the weak urinary stream and pelvic pain after micturition. But recently I have been voiding frequently in large amounts. I got some blood work done for diabetes and those came back normal. Could it possibly be something not functioning propertly with my kidney's. I do have intermittent left back pain where the kidney is at that radiates to my left quadrant abdominal area and tenderness. I also have poor posture which maybe could explain the back pain being just a simple strained muscle. Do you think I should ask my PCM if that could be a early sign of a possible kidney infection? Also, if I drink lots of iced tea which I love and no water during the day, it burns when I urinate and my urine is really yellow like the iced tea is dehyrating my system everytime I have something with caffeine instead of water, water never does that to me.
Any information would be greatly appreiciated
Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Polyuria is excessive volume of urination. This would be at least 2.5 liters of urine per day for an adult. It is good that your blood work is normal, ruling out diabetes. Common causes of polyuria include: too much fluid intake, particularly fluids containing caffeine or alcohol; drug use, especially diuretics; renal failure; or sickle cell anemia. Iced tea is a diuretic and contains caffeine which could be the reason for your polyuria and concentrated urine. However, with your chronic prostatitis, it would be best to discuss this with your doctor for further evaluation. Urinalysis would also eliminate causes of infection. Take care and keep us posted.