Urology Expert Forum
Elevated Creatinine and BUN
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Elevated Creatinine and BUN

Recently my doctor discovered that the creatinine level in my blood is 5.7 mg/l and BUN is 57.4 mg/l. The doctor has ordered more tests including 24 hr. urine total protien and Ultra Sound of kidneys. I have also been diagonized with high blood pressure in the range of 160/120 - 140/100. The doctor put me on medication (Toprol XL) for high blood pressure. Does the elevated creatinine and BUN always indicate a problem with the kidneys or are there other reasons for this?
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

An elevated creatinine is indicative of kidney disease.  There are plenty of reasons that can cause kindey disease - I will list some of them here.  A creatinine level that high needs to be evaluated, and a 24-hr urine protein and ultrasound are reasonable next steps.

The causes of renal failure is vast.  Some examples include medications (i.e NSAIDs, or cyclosporine), heart failure, cirrhosis, hypertension, glomerular disease (i.e. diseases of the kidneys), kidney toxins, infections, automimmune diseases, or renal vascular disease.

I strongly suggest continued followup with your personal physician.

I stress that this answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0 Comments
Blank
A related discussion, excessive urination was started.
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker