Urology Community
Elidel for dermatitis on penis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Elidel for dermatitis on penis?

I have dermatitis on the tip of my penis right on the skin at my penis opening. I have had it for almost a year now, and a few months back I finally went to a dermatologist. I was prescribed Elidel, however at first I was concerned with the black box warning and asked my doctor for a prescription skin barrier cream instead called EpiCeram to try first. Anyways, I have used the EpiCeram for a couple months along with a penis vitamin cream call Man 1 Man Oil and Emu Oil also. It seems as though my condition has improved somewhat, but not completely and I am wondering whether or not I should try the Elidel now since I want to get this resolved faster! So I want to know if Elidel is really safe for the penis skin, since on the instructions it says not to get in eyes,vagina, mouth or rectum. Okay, so what happens if some gets down into my urethra since the area I am treating is right on my meatus (skin at pee-hole opening)? Also, why does it say on the instructions to only use if all other topical treatments have failed, if it is suppose to be safer than steroid creams? My doctor thinks that the black box warning is "bogus" and that it is safe since I am not taking it orally or for an extended period of time, so now I am not so much concerned about the black box warning, but I don't want to use anything that will cause additional problems! I understand that Elidel does not carry the side effects associated with steroid creams such as skin thinning, but does Elidel have any serious side effects to the skin that I should be aware of? Also, if I do give it a try, how long should I expect to see results (a week, 2, a month) and how long is it safe to use it for? Or should I use something else instead? Keep in mind I have already tried about all the basic treatments!
.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Elidel or pimecrolimus is an immunosuppressant that is  used to treat severe atopic dermatitis when other medications have not worked well. It is recommended that you use Elidel only on the skin, exactly as it was prescribed for you. The length of time before effect is seen as well as observable side effects varies from one person to another.  Side effects include severe burning of treated skin; new symptoms of viral skin infection; worsened skin symptoms; swollen glands, sore throat; or fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms. This medicine is not for long-term use and it is best that you talk to your attending physician or dermatologist  prior to starting it for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.