Urology Expert Forum
Epididymal cysts
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Epididymal cysts

I first had a problem about 3 months ago when I started feeling sharp pains in what I now know is my epididymis.  I was misdiagnosed with epididymitis and then prostatitis by a few different doctors, including a urologist.  Eventually I went to get a second opinion at another urologist and he found a cyst in my left epididymis.  They ordered an ultrasound and verified that there was a cyst in my left epididymis and a smaller one in my right.  I've been having sharp and aching pains in my epididymis, on and off, this entire time.  Sometimes there is no pain at all, sometimes there is so much pain I can't stand it.  The pain is on both sides and when it really hurts it seems to spread/shoot out to the rest of the epididymis and even into my abdomen when it really hurts.  The other day, I had to run a long distance through the rain and shortly after I would have such great pain when walking that it spread throughout my entire left pelvic area, though it definitely hurt a LOT in the epididymis.  I've been worried that this may be a bacterial infection, but I was on Doxycycline for 1 &1/2 weeks, then Bactrim for 2 weeks, then Cipro for 2 weeks, when I was dealing with the first group of doctors.  Also, my new urologist says I definitely don't have prostatitis and he checked my prostate and said there was no swelling and it felt perfectly normal.  My previous urologist didn't do ANY tests other than a urine sample, but still diagnosed me with prostatitis.  I also started worrying that this could be chronic epididymitis, but I think the doctors would have been able to see that within the physical exam and certainly within the ultrasound, right?

I guess my main question is, can epididymal cysts create this much pain?  Can it come and go like this?  How long can I expect to have this pain?  Sometimes it just aches a little bit, sometimes it hurts like heck and really gets in the way of day to day life.  I don't want to remove it, also, because I haven't had children yet and I'm worried about sterility problems.  The cyst isn't incredibly large, either.  It is on/in the head of the epididymis and it makes the epididymis feel hard and it can hurt to touch it sometimes.  Taking warm baths can help with the pain, but tylenol or ibuprofen really doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

Thank you in advance for your help!