Urology Expert Forum
Epididymis cyst
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Epididymis cyst

Posted by Andrew on April 19, 1999 at 17:29:49
I  have had  a dull pain on my left testicle for a year now. I went to the doctor and had an ultrasound done and he told me that i have a cyst. He told me that i could deal with the pain or get it removed.  He said he would have to remove the epididymis and that it might  affect my chance of having children. My question is how much could it affect my chances of having children, why do cysts so often appear on the left testicle, do these cysts ever go away and what can i do about the pain???  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by HFHS M.D.-BE on April 22, 1999 at 12:10:54

=============================================
Dear Andrew,
I am happy to hear that you consulted a physician about this problem.  Anytime a man notices some change with his testicles, he needs to report it to his physician, preferably his urologist, quickly so that a proper evaluation can be done.  An epididymal cyst  could occur anywhere in the epididymis, but is most common in the region of the head of the epididymis.  (The epididymis is an area of the testicle, and is an elongated, coiled tube, which provides storage, transit, and maturation of spermatozoa.)  Epididymal cysts are very common, benign, increase in frequency with age, and are often painless.  Intervention is usually indicated when a cyst is associated with unremitting pain, or if it has become uncomfortably large.  Surgical removal of an  epididymal cyst does not necessarily require removal of the epididymus itself.  Provided that the unaffected testicle is functional, with normal sperm production, fertility should not be affected to any significant degree.  These cysts may appear on either side, and often persist.  With  regard to the discomfort associated with the cyst, over the counter pain medicine may help.  
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-BE
*keyword: epididymal cyst