Urology Expert Forum
Erectile Dysfunction

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Erectile Dysfunction

I am a healthy 34 year old male and life has suddenly changed
for me. I seek your help and guidance to life me from this dark state.

* My life has undergone a drastic change for the worse over the past few weeks. For the first time in my life, I failed to have an erection that night and could not make love. I had a burning sensation in my penis.

* From that point onward, I have not been able to have strong, persistent erection and hence have not been able
to perform sexual intercourse with my wife. Infact, I have never been able to achieve an erection in my wife's presence
3-4 times now. This is having a huge strain in my life.

* I have been able to get an erection when I massage my penis but it is taking me longer. Also the whole effort creates a burning sensation in my penis. Also the erection is not strong and I have pain at the base of my penis.I have masturbated successfully - the semen flow seems to be fine. However, am not able to have an erection without touching my penis - I used to do it before.

* I showed this problem to a Family Practice Doctor and he prescribed 14 days of Antibiotics that I am taking. However in  my urine sample tests did not show any bacteria. I also am not showing much improvement.

* I am an otherwise healthy 34 year old male. My cholestrol level is 190 odd with a low HDL (around 29 - this is not good) and high triglyceride count (around 300) I had my health checkup performed early this year and did not have diabetes.

Here is my current state:
I have an erectile dysfunction problem - I am not able to sustain an erection and my love life with my wife is in shambles. Infact both of us are suffering, this is the worst phase in our life.
I am confused - I do not know the cause, and day by day
WE are losing confidence that I will ever be able to return back to normalcy.
The initial diagnosis was prostatitis but now the Doctor is not sure also.
Please help.

SG
I would consider a referral to a urologist.  Certainly increased stress and other psychogenic causes can lead to erectile dysfunction.  Diseases like vascular problems, diabetes and low testosterone can also lead to these symptoms.  An ultrasound, physical exam looking at the pulses, as well as testosterone levels can all be considered.

Regarding prostatitis - sending off a sample of prostatic secretions (obtained via prostatic massage) can be considered for further evaluation.

You may want to discuss these options with your personal physician as well as considering a urology referral.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0