Urology Expert Forum
Excessive Night Urination and dry back of mouth
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Excessive Night Urination and dry back of mouth

I'm a male, 41yrs old and for the first time since being a teenager I have stopped drinking alcohol. My consumption would typically be 2 glasses (sometimes 3) of wine every evening, with beer, wine and spirit mixers socially at weekends and maybe once a week. I have been known as a 'party guy' drinker known for excessive alcohol consumption at parties and events - but not heavily drinking outside social occasions. Since giving up alcohol completely 4 weeks ago and drinking more water and uncaffeinated tea, I have noticed that I am having to get up once or maybe twice a night to urinate. This last week has seen me wake during the night then wake again around alarm time desperate to urinate with an erection. I've never had such a desperation to urinate on waking. In addition to this I am having a constantly dry back throat/mouth. Its not so much desperate thirst, though it means I'm drinking a lot of water - drinking water doesn't seem to help. The dry sensation seems to be coming from inside my mouth at the position of my jaws. I've been to my local doctor and had diabetes check, with liver and kidney functions tests. All were fine. I also had a PSA test which came back at a level of 1 point something which I was told was well within limits. Can these be symptoms of alcohol detox after 23yrs? Could it be diabetes insipidus? For a few years I took recreational drugs. I'm worried with giving up alcohol this might have had an effect on hormone levels (ADH?)