Urology Community
FEMALE URETHROPLASTY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

FEMALE URETHROPLASTY

I have been advised to have this surgery to correct a stricture. I had two opinions, and one doctor said that if I learn to self cath, i could do that for the rest of my life, and the other doctor said to go for the surgery. I am wondering if there are any other females out there who have had this surgery, and how it turned out for you. Thanks.
Hi there!

Urethroplasty is a fairy common surgery, for repair/ reconstruction of the urethra. The expected prognosis may vary slightly on the primary cause, type of urethroplasty, presence/ absence of comorbid conditions etc.; though is generally good. While the surgery can be avoided if a self-cath is feasible and an acceptable option, the choice between the two should be based on the pros and cons of each. I would suggest discussing the situation and the expected prognosis in detail with your treating urologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for your response...Being that female urethral strictures are quite rare, I am searching for an experienced surgeon . Do you know of any that specialize in female urethroplasty? Thank you for your time.
My daughter has a complete urethral disruption since birth, most likely break is almost center (spincter) - currently managed with Supra pubic tube (she is 3 now), can you refer me to someone in the country that has the expertise to repair her? Bladder seems okay.

Thank you!