Urology Community
False negative for UTI?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

False negative for UTI?

I am pretty sure I have a UTI since I had bad pain in my abdomen, side, and back. It hurts to urinate and even though I am drinking a lot of water I only urinate very small amount. Since its the weekend I went to the store and got over the counter medicine call AZO for pain relief just to wait it out until Monday comes and I can see my PCP. But before I did that I was in a lot of pain and my mom gave some of her macrobid. I was desperate so I took it. My question is will having taken it for two days cause a false negative when I go to the doctor and get tested for a UTI on monday?
A short answer...Yes.  If you are taking antibiotics, the urinalysis or C & S results will not be accurate.  Be sure to let your doctor or nurse know before you leave a specimen.

Good luck.