Urology Expert Forum
Flaccid vs Erect penis size
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Flaccid vs Erect penis size

I'm looking for the anatomical and/or physiological explanation for the fact the men with the same erect penis size have widely varying average flaccid penis sizes.  This is not a question about a single individual's flaccid size variation from time to time due to temperature, mental state or degree of excitation.  We know that larger flaccid penises have smaller percentage size increase with erection, since there's less variation in erect sizes.  But the question is why?  Why is there such a varation in flaccid size?  That is, why are some men are "grow-ers" and some men are "show-ers".  

I have been looking for the answer to this for awhile, and have found three common explanations: (1) blood flow, i.e., since the penis gets larger with erection, men with larger flaccid size must have more of a constant partial erection than others; (2) temperature, i.e., since the penis shrinks in cold, some men must have a higher average internal temperature; and (3) much of the penis is internal, so men with smaller flaccid penises ("grow-ers") must have smaller percentage of their penis external to the body; when they get erections, the part inside pushes out and makes the external erect penis larger.  Are any of these on the mark, and supported by any scientific evidence?

Has anyone done a study or published on this?  If so, can you give a reference?

Thanks.