Urology Community
Flank pain ,Blood in urine and UTI's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Flank pain ,Blood in urine and UTI's

hello , im 33 y/o female , ive been having alot of UTI's in the last 10 yrs  the first one was really bad i was urinating pure blood . after that i have been getting uti's  with blood in urine but not visable to the eye . for the last cpl of yrs now i have been having pain in my left flank area ,side , and front up under the ribs . most of the time it feels like a pressure feeling but what i did notice is when i get uti's it gets worse ! i am now trying to get over another  UTI  , i had blood in urine , and bad flank pain . doc sent  me to get a cat scan , im just waiting on the results . my question is could this be a sign of a kidney problem ? i have taken NSAIDS ( naproxen 500 mg  ) in the past  but not consistantly  but freqintly  , doc thought i had inflammation of the ribs . but apparently that isnt the case . Anyways im just wondering if this could possilby be a kidney problem of some sort ? Thank you all for responding and for your input !
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Blood in urine and left flank pain can be due to kidney causes. You have a history of recurrent UTI’s so blood in the urine can also be due to dislodgement of the kidney stone in the bladder or urethra.

Kidney stones and recurrent UTI’s can lead to Pyelonephritis, Cystitis, Urethritis Glomerulonephritis and Urethral ulceration. When the blood in the urine is at the beginning of urination, it most likely comes from the urethra, (the tube from the bladder to the outside). Blood throughout urination is most likely from the bladder or kidneys or ureters (the tubes connecting the kidneys and the bladder).

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include Urinalysis, Urine culture, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy, IVP, Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen.

The treatment will depend on the cause of the blood in the urine. A urologist will be the best person to get these investigations done from.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted. Warm regards.

thank you for responding back , i have another question  how long does it normally take to get a CT scan back to my doctors office ? i got it done last thursday and when they called me monday afternoon to make an apt for me on feb 3rd . i asked if the test results came back yet she said no not yet but by the time you come back they should be here . i was also wondering if there was something wrong wether its a stone or kindey cyst  or whatever the case was that he would call me in sooner ? all i know is the pain is still there .
if i lay on my left side and turn slightly i can feel pressure in my back and side . when i sit in an upright position it feels like ive got something being squashed and pressure feeling up under the lower rib , side and flank area. i sometimes  get sharp stabbing pains , and most of the time its a dull nagging pain with pressure !
Anyways im just wondering on how long does a CT scan really take ?

thank you , 2young