Urology Expert Forum
Flank pain/negative on stones

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Flank pain/negative on stones

I'm a 29 year old woman, dealing with flank pain for 6 mos already.  I have had this problem before 4 years ago and was admitted into the hospital for this problem, cause the pain was soo bad and had blood in the urine, that they assumed it was kidney stones, i had a ultrasound and IVP done, but nothing and i also never passed anything.  Now recently for the past 6 mos i started getting the blood in the urine again and flank pain and they did a ultrasound, called and told me that i had stones on both sides, a week later, with still the pain present and blood present they did a X-ray before getting inside the doctor office and nothing was present, they did a bladder scope? where they check inside of bladder and check the urthera?(might of misspelled that) and nothing and then the symptoms disappeared for about a month, and then again for the past 3 weeks, i got the bleeding again and bad discomfort on my left side and right side and i went into the urgent care again and they found blood in my urine but no infection and was told it probably is stones again, she ordered a Spinal CT scan, and got the results yesterday and show nothing, but abnormality in my left kidney, looks too low , but is not serious.  I will be seeing my urologist in about a week to discuss this but i don't know what i could ask?, or what other things can be causing this? is it still a possibilty of stones, but just not showing up? I still have the discomfort and blood in urine periodically.  History: Lupus (unactive for 10 years), brain aneurysm, high blood pressure (controlled with medication).

Please help me with suggestions if you can, it seems like they've done every known test to check for problems with my kidneys.

Thank you,
mandy :)
You have had a pretty comprehensive evaluation.  The spiral CT scan is pretty sensitive for kidney stones, and makes it an unlikely possibility if negative.  The cystoscopy and IVP would have a pretty thorough evaluation of the lower urinary tract, and things like bladder cancer is unlikely if negative.  The only other test to evaluate for the blood in the urine would be a urine cytology test to ensure that cancer isn't an issue.  

As for the flank pain, you may want to look outside the urinary tract system.  GI causes, such as irritable bowel disease, diverticulitis (on the right side), and inflammatory bowel disease can all lead to flank pain.  An abdominal/pelvic CT scan and/or colonoscopy can be considered to evaluate this.  GYN causes, such as an ovarian cyst, can also lead to flank pain.  The most reasonable initial test would be a transvaginal ultrasound.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b