Urology Community
Flank pain only during sleep/upon waking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Viewing 201-231 comments:
I am 56 year old male. Have had morning flank pain (increasingly severe) for over 1 year. Rarely get more than 3 hours sleep.  If I sleep sitting up I am fine - just laying flat causes the pain.  Dr. ordered a full CT - all was normal. After reading through the previous posts I researched ways to stretch the psoas muscle.  After 3 days of doing a couple of stretches the pain has decreased and now - after a week I can sleep through the night.  It is still a bit painful in the morning, but is getting better.  I recommend trying it if you haven't done so yet.  
I am suffering too, Dr. Explained is a reflux issue where bladder is either you full or restricted so back up into kidney, which .is very painful. Avoiding slit of caffeine, and not drinking before bed has helped. This is similar to an acid reflux issue where can't be cured, isn't life threatening. Can only be treated and tolerated. Also it is best that you empty bladder regularly, don't hold it til it feels too full, will help strengthen bladder .
Wow, sorry for the bad grammar/ spelling mistakes, am on my phone... Hope this helps as I too have suffered for years, not one thing the same has really helped all patients with this so my Dr. Says ... I'm 32 with 2 kids .... I can wake up in pain, empty my bladder, walk around the house hot 10 minutes, empty my bladder again and have no pain all day... http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/vesicoureteralreflux/
Did you get any reply on this? as i have recently felt theses symptom and i exactly do not know why it happens.
Did you ever get a proper diagnosis.
I have exactly the same pain and shift to the other side
but it wakes me on the other side as well.
1. Age/sex male,41

2. How long have you experienced the pains? 1 year on/off

3. What kind of pain (duration, intensity, location, Rate on a scale from 1-10, 1 being no pain at all 10 being the worst pain imaginable. 1 to 6

4. Is there something you do commonly the day before you have pain. (work out, drink alcohol, be lazy, drink little fluids, it can be anything) No, I play tennis, drink alcohol regularly in a social way, drink a lot of water, I am 5 10' and weigh 172 lbs, healthy.

5. What is your sleeping position? (side, back, curled, head pillow, pillow between legs) Side .

6. Do you have back problems? mild scoliosis

7. How is your posture during waking hours? always aware of it, got better in the last years

8. How much do you urinate the mornings you wake with pain? (none, little, moderate, a lot) normal

I first experienced the pain described by all exactly a year ago. I totally thought it came from an organ, didn't seem muscular at all. I did the kidney test, etc. and the results were all good, all the organs in the region were just fine. I cannot remember how long after the pain started to vanish...to start again a few weeks ago.

My wife is a licensed PT and back then she didn't know what it could be, but this time she suggested that the pain was originated because of a muscle(s) in the back....and she was RIGHT!

THAT IS WHAT IT IS IN MOST OF THE CASES.

For most of you guys that are experiencing that pain I strongly recommend to get THERAPEUTIC MASSAGES , specially in the area located between the ribs and the hips. I waited a while before posting this comment, to be sure that the massage proved to be effective and IT WAS. After 3 massages I cannot experience the pain anymore, yay!

Why it appears? many reasons, in my case I can remember starting sit ups (specially the type where you just flex your legs with your back flat onto the ground) both times before the pain appeared but also, there is a very common condition where we get 'unaligned'  (on leg gets longer / shorter than the other) and that very simple and common thing can gives us all kinds of pain in the back, butt and / or legs.

I hope this one can help some of you out there. I believe that the mind can heal and sicken us, too....in this case it seems to be just a simple muscle pain. cheers!
Can anybody help me please?
Over the last 5 weeks I have experienced the following symptoms which do not occur every day:
* Excruciating pain below lower right ribcage to lower back only upon waking - sometimes wakes me from 5 am. Cannot do anything to relieve the discomfort. Pain subsides within up to 3 hours.
* Unbearable pain in this area during the few hours after waking when breathing in, especially deeply.
* Wake up shivering, sometimes cannot get warm all day.
* Intermittent breathlessness.
* General feeling of being under weather and tired.

Originally had blood in urine when first episode occurred and was treated then for a UTI.
Recently CAT scan of kidney region came back normal, last urine test was nil for blood/protein etc.

Any advice welcome as I'm quite worried now.

hey dbo9!,

the magnesium worked for me!  thank you so much.

for a couple years now, i wake up with what feels like kidney pain in my lower back.  but because it goes away soon after waking, i forget to get it checked out.  

well late in 2013 it was getting worse in the morning, so searched the net and found this thread.

taking the magnesium completely cures me of the flank pain.  i have no idea why, but if i forget to take my magnesium for a few days, the pain returns...
Add me up !!! I too have the same problem of left flank pain during 4 to 5 AM each day in the morning after I had severe vomit and stomach ache 5 days back . had ultrasound , urine & blood test but everything came normal . It wakes me up everyday at the same time !!

THE CURE I FOUND FOR MY PAIN IS , TO HAVE ALMOST A LITRE OF WATER AFTER IT WAKES ME , THEN IT BECOMES NORMAL .

pls try it out and reply.....
lol... okay, so I'm reading all these replies because I too have just started suffering with mid-lower back/side pain upon waking up each morning (and within five minutes of waking up and walking around the pain is gone 100%). For me it's only been five days... so using the logic I have learned from past experiences the answer given by jesselyon rings a bell with me.

A few years ago I suffered with an issue with an odd neck pain, which I sought medical advice for after putting up with it for three months with no change. Bottom line was I was stressed out and the pain was indeed a psychosomatic one, which is pain or feeling that is in your head (imaginary), but you feel it physically, and it often really hurts! I thought my doctor was being rude and crazy when he suggested I was 'stressed' somehow... but being a man of science and having a background in chemistry/biology I started reading up on my symptoms and related issues, and eventually ended up studying a little psychology for about three months in my own time. I honestly would not have said/thought I was stressed out, but I learned that stress comes in many forms and most of the time we do literally turn a blind eye to it and just carry on. That's when the problem starts, and the longer we leave it the worse it gets (5+ years in some peoples cases after reading here!!!), or in my case, now, the pain shifts from different areas around the body (often leaving me confused and with paranoid feelings of 'what's wrong with me now' lol)... I do have a stressful lifestyle, nothing bad, thankfully, but I really do have a lot on my plate if I really think about it...  whilst studying psychology my symptoms vanished completely within a matter of days once I started reading about coping strategies for psychosomatic symptoms. I changed a few lifestyle factors and added some extra curricular activities to my days and when ever I felt the neck pain I applied the rules I had set myself (coping strategies) and it genuinely eased the pain and then one day I thought to myself 'I have gone a whole day with no pain in my neck at all', and realised I had genuinely 'forgotten about the pain', which is often a stress form itself, constantly worrying about something in the back of you mind can eventually cause a psychosomatic response, which then often takes over without you having any control over it. By reprogramming your brain to forget or manage a particular stress factor you can often eliminate the pain process. (its a bit more technical than this but that is the gist of it, read up on CBT or cognitive behavior training).  After all pain is merely ones own perception of what to expect when we injure ourselves, which is why we all have different pain thresholds. Have you ever cut/bruised yourself and not seen it until later, and then you have felt pain?  

...as for this waking pain I can see it being a bit more of a challenge, as its something happening whilst I/we sleep, but the fact the issue dissolves withing a matter of minutes after standing up would indeed suggest it's not as serious as we may think. I would assume the theory of adding/removing factors from my lifestyle may be the solution.... but with stress, as I said, it may be something that is overlooked and can take time to figure out.

anyway this is a little more food for thought for anyone that may feel lost in looking for an answer... also, don't just carry on hoping that it might stop, you may genuinely have something serious underlying that may need real treatment... only consider what I have said after you seek professional advice!
What type of beds do you all have? I too have these symptoms and was wondering if it is related to my tempurpedic
Wow,so amazed to find this forum.I am a 45 year old male and I have been suffering with the very symptoms mentioned above for over a year now. After 4-6 hours sleep I wake with severe pain in my lower left flank,this pain does not allow me to sit up .I roll out of bed and go and empty my bladder and the pain subsides,just standing eases the pain. After getting back into bed the pain tweaks every now and then and then dissipates.
I will read through the above scenarios and heed advice from those that know the discomfort and understand the frustration.
I am a 35 year old male.  I am experiencing similar problems and I am surprise to see so many people with this issue and some who have had it for many years!  I have had it for about a month and a half now and I can't take it anymore.  Mine is in my left kidney area and it is worse upon waking or after a few hours of sleep.  Sometimes it is so bad it wakes me up in the middle of the night.  As the day progress, the pain goes away.  But it leaves me with an uneasy feeling throughout the day because I don't know what is wrong with me and sometimes I get anxiety and panic attacks when I start to worry too much. Prior to this almost a year ago, I woke up one morning and I felt like I was going to faint and die.  I went to the doctor and did some tests including blood tests and everything turned out normal.  But I was still feeling sick - fatigue, weakness, indigestion, anxiety/panic attacks.  A friend recommended a nutritionist.  I went to see a nutritionist and she told me to cut out the gluten, gmo, sugar and go organic.  I did that for the most part and got better.  I do cheat once in a while.  It seemed every time I introduced gluten into my diet, I would get worse and every time I cut it out, I would get better.  Without any clinical testing I came to the conclusion that I was gluten intolerant.  I am now completely gluten free.  All was fine until a month and a half ago, this pain in my kidney appeared.  What is going on??  Other symptoms I have - difficulty breathing sometimes (especially if I am having an anxiety or panic attack), sometimes the pain is very sharp but it would come and go within a second, I always feel thirsty, frequent urination, my stool don't look normal most of the time (according to Bristol Stool Chart).  
Hello friends, I hope this helps.  I was on a mercury poisoning support group forum and there was a person that said he had that flank pain, he said it all went away when he had his dental amalgam/silver fillings removed and refilled with composite.  He had a test done to see if he had mercury or any other heavy metal poisoning.  Turned out he had high levels of mercury.  He also did chelation therapy after the fillings were removed which helped a lot with loads of other mercury poisoning symptoms.  So I'm not sure if this was the sole cause of his flank pain but it wouldn't hurt to get tested for heavy metal poisoning.  It's a very common problem due to amalgam fillings, the environment and eating tainted fish/meats.  
I too have this issue and am having all of my fillings removed in 2 months time, I will keep you posted on how my pain is after the fillings have been removed.
Wow, this topic is 7 years old, but I'm afraid that I now have to join the ranks.  It started 3 or 4 months ago and has been extremely frustrating.  I'm usually one who falls asleep very quickly, sleeps right through the night and wakes up about 7 hours later, having had a good night's sleep.  Now I'm afraid to go to bed and I'm not getting enough sleep.  That is really getting to me.

I have to steel myself for getting up in the morning.  I know it's going to hurt.  It leaves me almost in tears at the thought of having to move.  I just want to stay up all the time, because it doesn't bother me during the day-time.

I've had one doctor visit, where they did a urine and blood test.  I haven't had the results yet.  I've had kidney stones in the past, so I know that it feels like it's in that area.  But the pain feels like it's more at the surface.  By that, I mean that it seems to be above the ribs where the muscles and fibrous tissues are, rather than being deeper inside the abdomen.

I kept changing around my bed, which is only about a year old.  I added a latex pad, then a memory foam pad, and then a gel memory foam pad.  Then I started taking pads away, and then switching them around.  I realized that it's not the bed, so I might as well just use the configuration which is most comfortable for me.

I hate that I don't want to go to bed anymore, because sleep used to be so comforting.  It's not anymore.  My Dad has had surgeries for spinal stenosis and they have left him almost unable to walk, so I hope that never gets suggested for me.

I just don't get it.  It's only on my right side, but man, getting up in the mornings is an awful experience.  By the way, I'm 55 and I'm very overweight, but I've never had back troubles before.  But after reading these replies, it seems to happen to people of all weights and ages.  Why is it only on one side and why is it only when I'm sleeping?  It doesn't bother me once I've been up for a while, although if the doctor pokes in that area, it's really tender.

This is so frustrating.
After having read dbo9's suggestion/advise (Dec 16, 2011) to try magnesium, I did, and I've not experienced this terrible problem since.  Just to clarify, my pain was much like most here have described - with perhaps the most disturbing symptom being experiencing stabbing pain when simply taking a deep breath.

The 'flank pain' didn't occur every night, but since taking 315 mg. of magnesium citrate every day (be cautious with the citrate form of magnesium - too much can cause diarrhea), I've not had a single episode of the pain!

Some good info about magnesium supplements can be found at http://www.livescience.com/42972-magnesium-supplements-facts.html

OMG, I am sooo glad that I'm not just losing my mind. I have been experiencing this exact same pain for about a year now. I am a (almost) 37 year old female. I have been to gynecologist,  chiropractor,  neurologist,  AND urologist and had numerous test ran and always comes back normal. I have honestly thought I was alone in this. I have always thought it was kidney related because I have had multiple uti's in the past year also. However all my urology test show my kidneys are fine. But the pain in the mornings is horrible and not getting any better. I am not giving up on finding the cause of this because this pain to me is not normal. Good luck to everyone and I am praying we get an answer soon.  
I suffer from the same pain everyone else is talking about, it's been going on for 2 years, I wake up every 2-3 hours, and have to change positions , I like to sleep on my side, but I find that if I sleep on my back, I do get longer relief. Sometimes the pain radiates to my knees for some reason. I do have psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis, and take methotrexate, and I'm going to PT, but nothing seems to help the "sleeping pain", it all goes when I get up and move around. Had a saggy mattress, and thought that might be the problem, so I bought a rock hard mattress, still did not help. Wish I had a solution, I need a good nights sleep!
July 12, 2014
I, too, have had this aching pain in the right side, below my ribs, deep inside, above my hip bone for several long months now.  Like others here, the real hurting pain goes away fairly soon after I wake up, yet the deep pain stays, which I feel as I move around all day and night.  I roller (dance) skate twice during the week (the old-fashioned type with quad wheels and short skirts, not what the kids do today). The pain has not affected my skating, but this has been an awful feeling for too many months now, so I started searching to find some answers.
When I came across this site Tuesday evening (July 8, 2014), I read all the way up to into 2011, then skipped forward to 2014 to see if there has been any resolutions, to no real avail. Well, I took note, as did a few others, about the posts referencing “pooling” of the urine and others that referenced sleeping in positions which changed the position of their back.
As ajm3tmom, terram, steve713, all are referred the “pooling”, I decided to experiment with some sleep positions to see if these may help to relieve the pain. I read so many of you have spent lots of money with no results (and I’m working on research now for my doctorate, but in Information Systems), so I decided to research this pain topic and then try some experimenting with what has helped others here.

First I slept at an angle of about 45° Wed night, then about 22.5° Thurs and Fri (last night). The first night was hard to sleep as my sinuses kept dripping and choking me for quit awhile. I woke up in the morning NOT believing what I felt…NO PAIN getting out of bed. In bending and tilting, I could still feel the pain, just slightly, deep inside next to my spine. Awaking Friday, and today (Sat), ALL THE PAIN IS GONE!  What a pleasure to wake up and to work throughout the day with NO PAIN!  Every move I was making before I could feel that pain, now…NOTHING!
It’s a real pleasure to do dishes again even!
A POSSIBLE HELP....
So for those who would like to take part in an experiment, I took one queen-sized pillow placed vertically against the wall or headboard and bunched my sleeping pillow on top, thus I can sleep at a 22.5° position all night. This is not the most comfortable position to sleep at first, but I have gotten used to it.

For some interesting fact….I have known one person this has worked for already, but never gave it a thought until reading this site!   He is a 95 year-old friend of mine, of whom I roller skate with weekly!  Yes, he roller skates, walks 3-5 miles a day, wears NO hearing aid, and has 20/20 and 20/30 vision in each eye!  He’s BIG on vitamins and takes NO meds at all, not even an aspirin, got all his faculties about him, and is quite interesting to converse with about years past!  He has slept in a recliner for the past 7 years BECAUSE of POOLING. I explained what I tried from everyone’s comments here and he explained the same, i.e., when sleeping flat, the urine settles in the kidneys and he wakes up with back pain that goes away upon waking up and walking around. He had mentioned this previously, but I never gave a thought to this would be the case for the pain I was feeling.

So if anyone would like to try this sleeping method for some real research (either in a recliner or on pillows behind you in bed at about a 22° slope for 3 nights), if the results are posted here, we can see if WE can resolve this issue, since a LOT of doctors have not been able to stop the pain!

I will start a post here using arrows and if the next person with results after 3 days can COPY these arrows and postings, we can determine the outcome!  We have plenty of postings here, that if these folks participate, we can get some good research results!  I know this has certainly cured me, hopefully for good (I may try sleeping flat again to see if the pain returns, then try the slope-sleeping method to see if the pain is gone again!)

Hope this helps…. LA
----------------------------------
PICK ----ONE---- OF THE BELOW RESPONSES AND PASTE INTO A NEW MESSAGE, COPYING THE OTHER’S RESULTS.  (Put YOUR comments in a separate posting, please). Just copy ONE of the following.  I’ll start in a new message after this one!  If posted at a different length as shown below, the results may be counted easier.

SLOPE-SLEEPING METHOD -------------------- NO MORE PAIN
SLOPE-SLEEPING -------------------------------------------------------------------------didn’t work
SLOPE-SLEEPING METHOD -------- NO MORE PAIN
SLOPE-SLEEPING -----------------------------------------------didn’t work
Hi, I know its an old post but thought I'd comment because thats so similar to what I get.
Im a 26y/old man and had these pains ..i'd say over 8years.
Exactly as you describe except not as excruciating ,i.e pain worsens with a deep breath, goes away after getting up etc.
Dr was of no great help. I'll try what these comments suggest, about the psoas stretch and monitoring wheat affect on the pain
Hope you get a solution to your pain
I had this pain for a week or so.  I read this blog.   I was eating poorly for a week or so but also eating a lot of fruit.   I stopped fruit for a few days, eat a bland diet and it went away.   May also be a problem with constipation.  So, I suggest diet may be triggering the problem.  Good luck.

I had been having this pain for about a month- every morning.  I tried the slope sleeping method the past 2 nights (about 20 degree angle) and it worked perfectly- no pain at all for the past 2 mornings.  It's hard to argue against those results.  Also, I should mention that I did cut soft drinks out of my diet the past 2 days as well, since I have a feeling that sweeteners can cause the kidney pooling for some reason.  And according to other past posts here dating back years, not only sweeteners but also fruit and certain vitamins.  Perhaps the pooling is a kidney malfunction that is actually some sort of an allergic reaction, with the reaction being triggered by various causes in different cases.  In some it is sweeteners, others vitamins, fruit, wheat, stress- whatever.  

The slope sleeping clearly prevents the pooling because it allows gravity to work, whereas sleeping flat prevents this from happening.  The more pressing question, for those of us who don't want to slope sleep for the rest of our lives is this:  figuring out WHAT exact allergens are causing the problem in our cases.  I'm going to slope sleep for a few more nights and stay off Pepsi- then go back to sleeping flat to see what happens.  

I just ran across this whole thread, this is quite interesting as well as helpful.  The week prior to my night flank pain,  I had nausea in the morning, (no, not pregnant). Then the flank pain started. (female over 40) I drink about 5-6 bottles of water a day and a walk about 3 miles on the treadmill 4x a week. My artificial sugar was the flavored coffee creamers. Drank it allot if my coffee. I have stopped the flavor coffee creamer and had pain but not even close to what it was the nights prior. I have tried the stretching and propping the pillows to elevate me.  I will see how this goes, I can not believe artificial sugar can do all this. Our bodies are amazing.  I will post in a few more days of this progress. I am looking forward to a good  night pain free.  You all have helped with every suggestion.
I'm a 39 yr old female who had this same type of pain for over a year. Bad kidney/back pain at night and upon waking...urinating and walking around would eleviate it. I finally found this forum and decided to try cutting out Splenda from my diet. (I drink 3-4 glasses of iced tea sweetened w Splenda a day.) After two days the pain was better. After 4 days the pain was nearly gone. Now, I still have some pain now and then, but the severe pain is completely gone!

Amazing. I am so grateful that this forum exists. Without it I would still be in horrible pain.
My Doctor x-rayed and found that I had a collection of "bad poop"in my colon.. basically even though I pooped regularly each day, I some that I was not expelling.. even after 9 weeks of extreme pain, a course of miralax and colase, and the pain subsided in 3 days..  you may investigate this possibility.

I have what seems to be a blockage in my vein under my foreskin. The veins from my stomach to the top of my penis, around and under the foreskin are also enlarged and considerably more noticeable when erect. There is no pain and it is soft to touch. I'm now worried i may get a bloodclot,I'm bleeding and that's what's causing the lightheadedness. So many worries. It would be amazing if someone could address some/all off these worries and reassure me/ inform me on what to do next :)

Thanks Guys.
No it has nothing to do with smoking. They are two completely different organ systems. Respiratory and urinary. It has to do with the amphorous sediment in you're kidneys , it is usually due to excessively drinking sugary drinks, but it can also be due to Uric acid build up in you kidneys the pain is due to the diaphragm pushing kidneys causing them to be compressed which moves around the amphorous sediment and causes the kidneys to ache. If you haven't had a kidney stone yet I have bad news for you. If you don't improve you're diet dramatically you are going to have them. And you do not want them. It will take a long time to clear up. The best way to do it is drinking a lot of water and eating low fat foods and a lot of spinach leaves . Thyme also helps if you put it in your foods
Can you explain the pain that you were having and did inhaling deeply hurt more? Also, what were your doses for miralax and colace? thank you.
I've had this issue started recently. Myself, being well informed on how the body works and I listen carefully to it everyday I can tell you my side of the story.

Symptoms are pain in kidney area when I wake up. Mostly both kidneys and mostly pretty equal. When I go up and walk around it disappears in a short amout of time.

My own personal reflection on this matter is that my kidneys are tired and overworked. The kidneys help flush toxins out of the body so I have too much toxins going out of the body. The explanation for pain during the night/on wake up is simply because of the fact that the body goes into a "hyperdrive detox mode" during sleep. The body is cleansing and detoxing during sleep and when you pee the first time in the morning there are a significant larger amount of toxins in the urine. That is why they tell you to never measure your PH level in the morning because the results will be misleading.

This issue has just started for me so I can't speak for you guys who have had this for years and years. I can tell you though that the symptoms started after I've had (for a 2 month long period of time) eaten a lot of:
* wheat in the form of bread and pasta
* chocolate bars with sugar and soy lecithin
These combined with some other unhealthy foods and much less of the good nutritious I would normally eat. The reason for this change in diet was other circumstances in life leading to less time for me personally. Therefore I cut corners and eventually it became a bad habit.

What I've done since then is of course to steadily and slowly reverse the process. I've gone back to making nutritious sallads. I drink much more water, always keeping a bottle of water nearby so I don't forget.

This health issue also started with the realisation that my intestines also had far too much work to do, therefore giving the kidneys more toxins to handle. I've therefore added foods to increase my pro bacterial activity in the gut. The more good bacteria in the gut, the better it is able to handle the toxins in the food and to fight the bad bacteria.

This can be done using probacterial pills which you take during a meal. Another tip is to eat sauerkraut, raw fermented cabbage. This has lots of these good bacteria to help a long way. Another tip is to drink applecidervinager. Mix how you like, but don't go higher than 50/50 water/applecidervinager. This will also help to strenghten the stomach acid making it easier to digest the food your eating. Another great thing to eat is raw garlic. Chop it up into pieces, get it into your mouth and chew it. Breathe in and out. Now this will sting a little so do it in a way comfortable for you. This method also helps your teeth and gum area to heal.

Remember folks: CHEW your food. Help your gut cause your teeth should be your work horses here. Don't swallow large bits of food, chew it 15-30 times. Enjoy your food, as we all should, while also helping your stomach.

Going back to the better, more nutritious foods definitely reduces symptoms. Going back to bad foods, especially short time before sleep brings the pain back again.
Doing yoga, long walks and other forms of exercise reduce my pain.

Those days when I wanna eat that stuff I know is bad for me, I at least try to do a good compensation by giving the body lots of good, nutritious stuff, exercise, and lots and lots of water. Preferably filtered, but not necessarily PH-neutralised since it will weaken the stomach acid and that would be a bad idea as long as you're facing this partiular health issue.

Me, being a bit of a "health nut" I often make good nutritious juices with cellery, radishes, cucumber, tomato, beats, apples, carrots and so on. Using a good juicer you can extract massive amounts of nutrition which is great for detoxing bad stuff from the body. The problem when you're having this health issue is that the kidneys are already packed with detox jobs. Drinking these juices will force the body to try and flush out more toxins so this will make problems worse. Avoid the juices until symptoms have stabilised and you've cleared your intestines for a day or two (maybe more) making sure the body can get rid of the waste without any blockage.

Last thing I've gonna mention is the fact that many many many times when this health issue occurs, in my opinion, the underlying cause is actually an overgrowth of candida in the body. This extremely common health issue which creates other problems such as this kidney problem is something people face everyday over the world and they don't know it.

An overgrowth of candida creates more toxins in the body and sends them out throughout the intestines where they're most common. The amount of toxins in the body during candida overgrowth is exponential so you guys should definitely check out if you might have candidiasis. If so, that probably explains your kidney issues but definitely a lot of other issues and symptoms as well.

I hope this has been helpful.
I have had the same problem since I was 15 and now I am 36 and still seem to have it the same. I have been to countless doctors and no answers only "you may have to live with this". When I breath in it hurts and once I use the bathroom and get up moving around it feels better. Some days it lasts longer but most days it is just for half hour or so once getting up.   I have noticed that when I have alcohol it helps and no pain- but it must be more than just one drink it must be at least 4 or 5. I also thought maybe fruit was a problem
PYGEUM POWDER!!! I have the same pains and urinary problems that many of you do and have recently purchased pygeum powder input about a teaspoon full in a glass of water and drink it about 2 hrs every night before bedand it not only helps my back pain so that I can sleep but it also makes me not have to go to the bathroom as many times in the night. I never thought that I was going to have a good night's sleep again but this seems to be working very well. If you stop taking it then the pain comes back almost immediately. Pygeum is an all natural African bark and when put in water taste like a gritty tea.I hope many of you read this and take my advice you can buy a pound of Pygeum online for about $25. PYGEUM,  IT WORKS!
Do you sleep on your side. If so, a knee pillow could resolve your back pain. I developed Sleepy Kneez because I needed relief from back pain.
Wow I just read your comment and when I drink alcohol the night before I wake up with no pain also! I wonder how that affects it?? I am so happy I found this site, as I really thought I was the only one and I cant find any cures either!
I thought I was the only one!  My left flank pain started 18 years ago!  In the dawn of the web, I wasn't able to find any answers.  I gave up searching about 8 years ago.  Imagine my surprise to stumble upon this forum.  I hope my information will be valuable to some of the people on this forum.  For reference, my issues seem to be most similar to those of Javi72 who posted on this forum on Mar 12, 2014.

Every night about 5 hours into the sleep: intense pain; a mildly deep breath generated a highly intense and localized pain like a broken rib.  I could not even talk half of a fully deep breath.  Get out of bed to urinate and the pain goes away for the rest of the night.  It sure suggested a kidney issue.  I went to my physician and was referred to a urologist.  I had ultrasounds and tons of urine tests done over the course of a year or so, and there were no indications of problems.  Back to self diagnosis and experimentation.  I discovered that just getting up and walking around for a minute relieved the pain; it was mostly a fluke that getting up to urinate made it subside.  If I went through the same motions without actually urinating, the pain also subsided.  But having a full bladder does influence the pain.

These things make it worse:
- Sleeping on my left side or back.
- Eating a large meal (especially carbohydrate rich) too soon before bed
- Having a fuller bladder at night seems to exacerbate the pain, not cause it

These things make it less:
- Moving to my right side when I sleep
- Taking pain medication like ibuprofen
- Not drinking too much fluid in the evening and therefore not having as full a bladder at night
- Eating moderately and nothing after dinner time
- Massage!  This has the most effect, almost eliminating the situation completely.

Ultimately I found relief from a massage therapist.  She figured it is my quadratus lumborum muscle.  Others on this forum have mentioned the psoas muscle, and it might be that one (or both), but it certainly seems to be a muscle issue.  Now every night before bed I massage the area for about 10 minutes with a massage ball and that almost always prevents the pain.  I start with the massage ball next to my spine and about on top of the bottom rib.  I work along the rib away from the spine, then down towards the iliac crest.  Often I can feel the muscles spasm before relaxing.

1. Age/sex male
51

2. How long have you experienced the pains?
18 years

3. What kind of pain (duration, intensity, location, Rate on a scale from 1-10, 1 being no pain at all 10 being the worst pain imaginable.
8 - highly intense but very localized.  An attempt at taking a fully deep breath might make me collapse.

4. Is there something you do commonly the day before you have pain. (work out, drink alcohol, be lazy, drink little fluids, it can be anything)
No.  I have worked out most of my life but have also had long periods where I haven't worked out or exercised at all.  Makes no difference.  When the pain started I was an international level amateur natural (drug-free) bodybuilder (5'10" 210lbs).  Now I'm about 180lbs and a cyclist.
Alcohol doesn't seem to have either a positive or negative effect.  Nor caffeine.

5. What is your sleeping position? (side, back, curled, head pillow, pillow between legs)
Mostly stomach with my legs legs making a "4" when looking down from above.  Also sleep on sides, occasionally on my back.  

6. Do you have back problems?
Scoliosis.  It doesn't cause any issues for me (other than possibly this one).

7. How is your posture during waking hours?
Fine

8. How much do you urinate the mornings you wake with pain? (none, little, moderate, a lot)
Normal
My right flank pain started two years ago. At first it was intermittent; now it is chronic. Over the last six plus months things have gotten a lot worse. Pain is intolerable at night, there doing the day, but tolerable. Physical activity of any kind makes it much worse. I first thought I had might have a herniated disk and went to an orthopedic clinic. They put me with a rehabilitation/pain management doctor. Had x-rays which showed the typical things that occur with aging. Did several months of physical therapy which had no lasting effect. Second round was with a physician's assistant who did an MRI. The MRI showed disc degeneration and minor bulging of two lumbar disks, but nothing that matched up with the level of pain I was having. I was astounded that nothing more serious was found. Pain became so severe within a few weeks I was in the ER. Outcome there was a muscle relaxer, pain killers, and recommendation to see neurosurgeon. Saw the neurosurgeon a few weeks later. He reconfirmed that my x-rays and MRI showed nothing that was a concern. I re-emphasized how severe my pain was, which led him to look back over older scans in my records. He tuned in on a cyst on my right kidney seen in a scan done within the past year for a different problem. He ordered a new CT scan which of course showed the cyst (8-10cm). He referred me to a urologist. The urologist looked over various scans in my record back about six years. He said the cyst had been there throughout and had not grown, therefore concluding the cyst was unlikely the source of my pain. He said it could be referred pain. I asked "from where, and how could we get it nailed down". There wasn't an answer I could live with. He said I could see the surgeon. I scheduled that appointment. Upon seeing the surgeon, he agreed with the findings of the urologist, adding that the type of cyst I have is not uncommon and seldom is a source of pain in the area of the kidney. Again, I faced "no where to go from here". I had formulated a backup plan in case this was the outcome. I talked about the possibility of draining the cyst versus removing it(which might require the kidney to come out, too), if for no other reason, to gather some information to decide what to do next. In other words, if the pain goes away, the cyst was the culprit; if not, what next. He agreed, and draining the cyst is next. If draining the cyst does not take the pain away, I have to figure out what to after that.

I have no criticism of the doctors who have tried to help me, but making my way through the system to a diagnosis and treatment has been exasperating and I continue to fail. If someone told me, there is nothing that can be done and exactly why, then I'll figure out how to live with that. The thing that keeps nagging me is the possibility that there is a solution that could return me to a active and productive lifestyle. Now I'm second-guessing my decision to drain the cyst, but once again I seem to have nowhere else to go. After reading dozens of posts on this topic where almost identical symptoms are being described, I would have thought getting to a cause and treatment would be straight forward. It appears that is not the case.

I got some good ideas from reading through the posts here, and I'm going to give them a try.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hello, I am a 33 year old male. Regular smoker and drinker.  I have had these pains in my lower back on and off for about 4 years now and I always thought that it was my kidneys.  Some mornings I can't take a deep breath without pain. It will wake me early in the morning between 4-6am and I always fight getting up, but that never works.  As soon as I get up and urinate and move around for a few minutes, the pain seems to disappear.  I finally went to the Dr. to see what was going on.  They tested my urine and everything was normal.  The Dr. laid me down and listened to my lungs and determined that I have lower lung inflammation which is probably causing the pressure down there.  He called it pleurisy and/or chronic bronchitis.  He said that my right lung seemed to more inflamed than the left, which makes since because that is usually the side that hurts the most (I had not told him which side was worse because he never asked).  He prescribed me some medication to take twice daily for 10 days that should make the pleurisy go away.  I'm really hoping it works!  It is very uncomfortable and is costing me valuable sleep time.  I just started the meds today and I will post my results once the meds are done.  Fingers crossed.
Obstructive uropathy,  Google it.
     I am a 47 yr old, 115lb, white female with a husband and children.
     I have had back pain since my marriage 21 years ago. Fibromyalgia was a huge problem for years. Pain sometimes for months on one side then the next day it would move to the other side for a few more months or so, then gone, then back in a different spot. This affected my sleep but was also horrible during the day. When I'd wake up in the morning I would just have to tell myself to "WALK" and get up and go. I don't get the fibro pain anymore unless I eat too many sweets, so pretty sure what causes that pain.
     I've also have had the flank pain for many years now off and on. And now, I also get accompanying tightness in my back from the base of my ribs up to my shoulder blades. This only happens during my sleep (and I LOVE my sleep!). About 3-4am it begins. And, it intensifies if I try to turn and readjust my position. Getting up to urinate helps, but just plain getting out of bed is what I have to do to have the pain go away. I'm still a bit sore during the morning hours, but getting out of bed definitely helps. Also, exercise helps. I love to walk, and plus it's healthy so I feel better mentally and physically. Yoga is great also, love yoga! Maybe all the stretching helps.
     I have had all the tests you can have over the years and there has never been anything significant that would cause any of these pains.
     I will try to sleep on a slight incline to see if that helps. I will also try magnesium water - as sugar leeches magnesium from our bodies(Water oz, magnesium dietary supplement). I will try the other dietary suggestions one at time to see if anything helps. Massages don't help me necessarily. A therapist has to have a touch, it can't just be routine. But even then, my back usually actually feels worse, even though I've been relaxed during the massage.
     But what I've found for pretty much anything that goes wrong in our bodies the problems are: DIET, EXERCISE AND STRESS!!!!
     I'll just add that this is my first marriage. I am a parent and a step-parent. I have not had an easy go with the "position". I had a full-term stillborn for my first pregnancy, then a miscarriage, then two normal births. I have an uncooperative spouse when it comes to any kind of fairness between first vs second families, ex's, discipline, support, responsibilities, finances, etc. My husband favors one child, enables him even though he's an addict, and won't cut the apron strings - this "kid" is 28!
     Needless to say, married life, other than one of my step children and my own "blood" born children, has been a tough road. When I visit my parents, without my husband, I sleep good and life is peachy. I believe if we can be strong and lose the stressors, (as another person posted) whatever they may be, life would be good for everybody :)
im 20 years old and have been experiencingthe same type of pain so i usually just wake up for a few seconds and stretch and it goes away but it does hinder me from sleeping and the pain is hard to bare
My flank pain is directly tied to the mattress I sleep on. Using a 4" mattress topper from Walmart and pain disappeared over night. If I stay at my daughters, I cannot slrrp on the guest bedroom mattress past 3am.  While the Walmart topper  works fine it is low quality and will not last, the side where I sit is breaking down.
For the past several months or so I had also been experiencing pain in my lower back that would only begin after about 2-4 hours of sleep. It was usually enough to wake me up and to keep me from going back to sleep. The pain went away if I was standing up or sitting up, but if I tried to lay back down it would begin hurting again. Only after several hours of standing/sitting could I attempt to lay back down.

I've had a firm Tempur-Pedic mattress for the last 15+ years and I've never had problems with back pain before. After the pain started, I tried to solve the problem by purchasing a padded mattress topper (no success) and sleeping in a variety of positions (very limited success). However, the pain continued and so I just settled into a routine of going to bed earlier, waking up in the middle of the night for a few hours, and then trying to go back to bed again after for a few more hours of sleep.

Solution: Drinking more water seems to have eliminated my back pain completely. I sort of stumbled on this solution by accident after noticing that a few random pain-free nights seemed to follow days in which I drank more water. I'm the kind of person who only drinks beverages during meals, rarely needs refills, and rarely gets thirsty at other times. I'd say that on average I was drinking the equivalent of about 2 bottles of water a day (~4 cups). However, on days that I consumed more water, my back pain did not appear during the night. I've since been drinking about double my normal amount and I've been pain free for about 2 consecutive weeks.

I know that there are a lot of people here and that there are probably a variety of different causes for their pain, so my solution is unlikely to work for everyone. In any case, I wanted to share what has worked for me in the hopes that it might also work for someone else too. Good luck!
I have these pains also.....I sleep on my sides.....never on my back....I wake up around 4 or 5 in the morning because the pain is horrible and I can't get comfortable enough to fall back asleep.  I thought it was because I have been constipated for the past few months, but im working on becoming regular and I still have those pains.  I have read all the other posts and no one has an answer for this.  I am 44 yr old female with a very physical job.  Is this pain because my body is exhausted?   It feels like muscular pain but goes away when I get out of bed.  Im going to my chiropractor on monday and going to ask him about this.  It's very aggravating to not be able to sleep and I dont want to have this for years like some of the people who have posted.  Someone help us please!
I've also found that sugar seems to exacerbate my fibro symptoms.  That back "tightness" - I hope talked to your PCP, though it sounds like you feel it's muscular, as you describe it as "sore" in the morning.   (And I hope your parents live close enough so that you can visit them often.)
I've had this flank pain for years, sometimes right, sometimes left, sometimes both.  Previously experienced as "annoying", its become more frequent and more intense over the past few years.  Per everyone, once I'm upright and moving around the pain goes away.  As most, my PCP has no explanation.  Massage is lovely but really doesn't do anything for my pain, though I did notice early on that having pressure against those areas makes it feel good WHILE the pressure is there.  (Sometimes I wedge a neck pillow against the area.)  But, as soon as the pressure is released, the pain returns.  Position (other than upright) does not make a difference for me.  

This may be coincidence, but it does seem FOR ME that the pain is worse when my fluid intake was poor during that day.  But some have posted the opposite - so that's not a constant.   I too, avoid breathing deeply with this pain, as it really "hurts".  This week, out of frustration, wanting a big breath, and p..... off about the pain, I found an absolutely absurd response that's blasted the pain each morning so far.  A few nights ago, waking in pain, I made myself take a really deep breath.  A breath where my chest really expanded and my diaphragm felt really low.  I held that breath for a few seconds.  It hurt, but I did it anyway.  When I exhaled - the pain was gone, and I was able to go back to sleep.   About 2 hours later, I woke and had my pain.  I took the deep breath and it disappeared again.  I have no idea why - whether it has to do with physics of changing chest pressures with blood flow, or some nerve receptors, or Oxygen supply, or maybe with pressure against the kidney blood vessels/drainage system (as some have discussed) - Idk.  But  it worked without me getting out of bed and allowed me to get back to sleep.  Unfortunately it doesn't explain the pain, or prevent it.  But it did give me temporary relief and sleep.  

I'm planning to try some of the suggestions here, like the Magnesium to see if that helps.
I also have this pain that wakes you up and continues until you stand up for a few minutes. I've noticed it gets aggravated if I share my bed with someone that night (which could either be sex or cuddling the other person while sleeping) or if I have sat down a lot on the day before.

I'm 6'5".  I take biotin and vitamin D. I'm fairly active on most days. I weigh about 205lbs. I always sleep with a fan on and usually keep my room cold.

I sleep on my side and one morning while I had the pain, I examined my posture. I noticed my hips were very uneven (the side against the bed was much lower than the side facing upwards) and this made me wonder if my spine (which is already long enough as it is) was drooping down towards the center and causing pinching for a prolonged period of time. Or if the muscles around the spine are being subjected to prolonged flexion/extension.

My bottom line is this, the pain doesn't happen as soon as you lie down, and it goes away a few minutes after you stand up. Something about the posture we exhibit while we're sleeping, our mattress, or our movement/lack-of-movement while we sleep must be causing this. And what we do throughout the day can sometimes determine the severity of the pain.
Any results?
I too like all of you have the same flank/back issue.
I always slept with one arm up under my pillow,  I had to stop this,  now I have to sleep with that arm down at my side,  and bring my hip that's laying on the bed closer to my shoulder that's on the same side,  so shoulder and hip closer together,  if I stretch out,  the pain will return.
I also went to the physio and he said the muscles are pretty tight on those areas and he recommend acupuncture,  so after 10 needles in and 15min later,  I started to feel a bit better.
The first nights sleep was way better and the second better again. I will be going back next Wednesday June 6th 2015 and ask for a bigger session with acupuncture,  I think this maybe the way to go. I'll keep an update going for you all off you're interested.
Cheers and fingers crossed.
Viewing 201-231 comments: