Flank pain only during sleep/upon waking
Every morning I wake in excrutiating pain in the lower back (kidney area) that radiates to the front of stomach.  This pain is so severe that it wakes me up and makes it difficult to take a deep breath.  I feared it was kidney's and had a battery of tests done, along with MRI's that showed nothing.  Dr. thinks it could be muscle related.  The pain seems to arise after 5-6 hours of sleep.  At first it seemed that the pain was immediately relieved once I voided of a morning, now it seems that as soon as I stand I get relief, which makes me think maybe it could be nerve compression?  The pain wakes me from sleep and gives me anxiety in the evenings before bedtime due to the fact that I know I will wake in horrible pain.  This has been going on for the last 9 years after the birth of my daughter and has progressivley gotten worse.  The doctors are stumped as to what this can be and has referred me to a chiro and recommended a nerve block. If anyone has any ideas, please advise.  Thanks!
After having read dbo9's suggestion/advise (Dec 16, 2011) to try magnesium, I did, and I've not experienced this terrible problem since.  Just to clarify, my pain was much like most here have described - with perhaps the most disturbing symptom being experiencing stabbing pain when simply taking a deep breath.

The 'flank pain' didn't occur every night, but since taking 315 mg. of magnesium citrate every day (be cautious with the citrate form of magnesium - too much can cause diarrhea), I've not had a single episode of the pain!

Some good info about magnesium supplements can be found at http://www.livescience.com/42972-magnesium-supplements-facts.html

OMG, I am sooo glad that I'm not just losing my mind. I have been experiencing this exact same pain for about a year now. I am a (almost) 37 year old female. I have been to gynecologist,  chiropractor,  neurologist,  AND urologist and had numerous test ran and always comes back normal. I have honestly thought I was alone in this. I have always thought it was kidney related because I have had multiple uti's in the past year also. However all my urology test show my kidneys are fine. But the pain in the mornings is horrible and not getting any better. I am not giving up on finding the cause of this because this pain to me is not normal. Good luck to everyone and I am praying we get an answer soon.  
I suffer from the same pain everyone else is talking about, it's been going on for 2 years, I wake up every 2-3 hours, and have to change positions , I like to sleep on my side, but I find that if I sleep on my back, I do get longer relief. Sometimes the pain radiates to my knees for some reason. I do have psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis, and take methotrexate, and I'm going to PT, but nothing seems to help the "sleeping pain", it all goes when I get up and move around. Had a saggy mattress, and thought that might be the problem, so I bought a rock hard mattress, still did not help. Wish I had a solution, I need a good nights sleep!
July 12, 2014
I, too, have had this aching pain in the right side, below my ribs, deep inside, above my hip bone for several long months now.  Like others here, the real hurting pain goes away fairly soon after I wake up, yet the deep pain stays, which I feel as I move around all day and night.  I roller (dance) skate twice during the week (the old-fashioned type with quad wheels and short skirts, not what the kids do today). The pain has not affected my skating, but this has been an awful feeling for too many months now, so I started searching to find some answers.
When I came across this site Tuesday evening (July 8, 2014), I read all the way up to into 2011, then skipped forward to 2014 to see if there has been any resolutions, to no real avail. Well, I took note, as did a few others, about the posts referencing “pooling” of the urine and others that referenced sleeping in positions which changed the position of their back.
As ajm3tmom, terram, steve713, all are referred the “pooling”, I decided to experiment with some sleep positions to see if these may help to relieve the pain. I read so many of you have spent lots of money with no results (and I’m working on research now for my doctorate, but in Information Systems), so I decided to research this pain topic and then try some experimenting with what has helped others here.

First I slept at an angle of about 45° Wed night, then about 22.5° Thurs and Fri (last night). The first night was hard to sleep as my sinuses kept dripping and choking me for quit awhile. I woke up in the morning NOT believing what I felt…NO PAIN getting out of bed. In bending and tilting, I could still feel the pain, just slightly, deep inside next to my spine. Awaking Friday, and today (Sat), ALL THE PAIN IS GONE!  What a pleasure to wake up and to work throughout the day with NO PAIN!  Every move I was making before I could feel that pain, now…NOTHING!
It’s a real pleasure to do dishes again even!
A POSSIBLE HELP....
So for those who would like to take part in an experiment, I took one queen-sized pillow placed vertically against the wall or headboard and bunched my sleeping pillow on top, thus I can sleep at a 22.5° position all night. This is not the most comfortable position to sleep at first, but I have gotten used to it.

For some interesting fact….I have known one person this has worked for already, but never gave it a thought until reading this site!   He is a 95 year-old friend of mine, of whom I roller skate with weekly!  Yes, he roller skates, walks 3-5 miles a day, wears NO hearing aid, and has 20/20 and 20/30 vision in each eye!  He’s BIG on vitamins and takes NO meds at all, not even an aspirin, got all his faculties about him, and is quite interesting to converse with about years past!  He has slept in a recliner for the past 7 years BECAUSE of POOLING. I explained what I tried from everyone’s comments here and he explained the same, i.e., when sleeping flat, the urine settles in the kidneys and he wakes up with back pain that goes away upon waking up and walking around. He had mentioned this previously, but I never gave a thought to this would be the case for the pain I was feeling.

So if anyone would like to try this sleeping method for some real research (either in a recliner or on pillows behind you in bed at about a 22° slope for 3 nights), if the results are posted here, we can see if WE can resolve this issue, since a LOT of doctors have not been able to stop the pain!

I will start a post here using arrows and if the next person with results after 3 days can COPY these arrows and postings, we can determine the outcome!  We have plenty of postings here, that if these folks participate, we can get some good research results!  I know this has certainly cured me, hopefully for good (I may try sleeping flat again to see if the pain returns, then try the slope-sleeping method to see if the pain is gone again!)

Hope this helps…. LA
----------------------------------
PICK ----ONE---- OF THE BELOW RESPONSES AND PASTE INTO A NEW MESSAGE, COPYING THE OTHER’S RESULTS.  (Put YOUR comments in a separate posting, please). Just copy ONE of the following.  I’ll start in a new message after this one!  If posted at a different length as shown below, the results may be counted easier.

SLOPE-SLEEPING METHOD -------------------- NO MORE PAIN
SLOPE-SLEEPING -------------------------------------------------------------------------didn’t work
SLOPE-SLEEPING METHOD -------- NO MORE PAIN
SLOPE-SLEEPING -----------------------------------------------didn’t work
Hi, I know its an old post but thought I'd comment because thats so similar to what I get.
Im a 26y/old man and had these pains ..i'd say over 8years.
Exactly as you describe except not as excruciating ,i.e pain worsens with a deep breath, goes away after getting up etc.
Dr was of no great help. I'll try what these comments suggest, about the psoas stretch and monitoring wheat affect on the pain
Hope you get a solution to your pain
I had this pain for a week or so.  I read this blog.   I was eating poorly for a week or so but also eating a lot of fruit.   I stopped fruit for a few days, eat a bland diet and it went away.   May also be a problem with constipation.  So, I suggest diet may be triggering the problem.  Good luck.

I had been having this pain for about a month- every morning.  I tried the slope sleeping method the past 2 nights (about 20 degree angle) and it worked perfectly- no pain at all for the past 2 mornings.  It's hard to argue against those results.  Also, I should mention that I did cut soft drinks out of my diet the past 2 days as well, since I have a feeling that sweeteners can cause the kidney pooling for some reason.  And according to other past posts here dating back years, not only sweeteners but also fruit and certain vitamins.  Perhaps the pooling is a kidney malfunction that is actually some sort of an allergic reaction, with the reaction being triggered by various causes in different cases.  In some it is sweeteners, others vitamins, fruit, wheat, stress- whatever.  

The slope sleeping clearly prevents the pooling because it allows gravity to work, whereas sleeping flat prevents this from happening.  The more pressing question, for those of us who don't want to slope sleep for the rest of our lives is this:  figuring out WHAT exact allergens are causing the problem in our cases.  I'm going to slope sleep for a few more nights and stay off Pepsi- then go back to sleeping flat to see what happens.  

I just ran across this whole thread, this is quite interesting as well as helpful.  The week prior to my night flank pain,  I had nausea in the morning, (no, not pregnant). Then the flank pain started. (female over 40) I drink about 5-6 bottles of water a day and a walk about 3 miles on the treadmill 4x a week. My artificial sugar was the flavored coffee creamers. Drank it allot if my coffee. I have stopped the flavor coffee creamer and had pain but not even close to what it was the nights prior. I have tried the stretching and propping the pillows to elevate me.  I will see how this goes, I can not believe artificial sugar can do all this. Our bodies are amazing.  I will post in a few more days of this progress. I am looking forward to a good  night pain free.  You all have helped with every suggestion.
I'm a 39 yr old female who had this same type of pain for over a year. Bad kidney/back pain at night and upon waking...urinating and walking around would eleviate it. I finally found this forum and decided to try cutting out Splenda from my diet. (I drink 3-4 glasses of iced tea sweetened w Splenda a day.) After two days the pain was better. After 4 days the pain was nearly gone. Now, I still have some pain now and then, but the severe pain is completely gone!

Amazing. I am so grateful that this forum exists. Without it I would still be in horrible pain.
My Doctor x-rayed and found that I had a collection of "bad poop"in my colon.. basically even though I pooped regularly each day, I some that I was not expelling.. even after 9 weeks of extreme pain, a course of miralax and colase, and the pain subsided in 3 days..  you may investigate this possibility.

I have what seems to be a blockage in my vein under my foreskin. The veins from my stomach to the top of my penis, around and under the foreskin are also enlarged and considerably more noticeable when erect. There is no pain and it is soft to touch. I'm now worried i may get a bloodclot,I'm bleeding and that's what's causing the lightheadedness. So many worries. It would be amazing if someone could address some/all off these worries and reassure me/ inform me on what to do next :)

Thanks Guys.
No it has nothing to do with smoking. They are two completely different organ systems. Respiratory and urinary. It has to do with the amphorous sediment in you're kidneys , it is usually due to excessively drinking sugary drinks, but it can also be due to Uric acid build up in you kidneys the pain is due to the diaphragm pushing kidneys causing them to be compressed which moves around the amphorous sediment and causes the kidneys to ache. If you haven't had a kidney stone yet I have bad news for you. If you don't improve you're diet dramatically you are going to have them. And you do not want them. It will take a long time to clear up. The best way to do it is drinking a lot of water and eating low fat foods and a lot of spinach leaves . Thyme also helps if you put it in your foods
Can you explain the pain that you were having and did inhaling deeply hurt more? Also, what were your doses for miralax and colace? thank you.
I've had this issue started recently. Myself, being well informed on how the body works and I listen carefully to it everyday I can tell you my side of the story.

Symptoms are pain in kidney area when I wake up. Mostly both kidneys and mostly pretty equal. When I go up and walk around it disappears in a short amout of time.

My own personal reflection on this matter is that my kidneys are tired and overworked. The kidneys help flush toxins out of the body so I have too much toxins going out of the body. The explanation for pain during the night/on wake up is simply because of the fact that the body goes into a "hyperdrive detox mode" during sleep. The body is cleansing and detoxing during sleep and when you pee the first time in the morning there are a significant larger amount of toxins in the urine. That is why they tell you to never measure your PH level in the morning because the results will be misleading.

This issue has just started for me so I can't speak for you guys who have had this for years and years. I can tell you though that the symptoms started after I've had (for a 2 month long period of time) eaten a lot of:
* wheat in the form of bread and pasta
* chocolate bars with sugar and soy lecithin
These combined with some other unhealthy foods and much less of the good nutritious I would normally eat. The reason for this change in diet was other circumstances in life leading to less time for me personally. Therefore I cut corners and eventually it became a bad habit.

What I've done since then is of course to steadily and slowly reverse the process. I've gone back to making nutritious sallads. I drink much more water, always keeping a bottle of water nearby so I don't forget.

This health issue also started with the realisation that my intestines also had far too much work to do, therefore giving the kidneys more toxins to handle. I've therefore added foods to increase my pro bacterial activity in the gut. The more good bacteria in the gut, the better it is able to handle the toxins in the food and to fight the bad bacteria.

This can be done using probacterial pills which you take during a meal. Another tip is to eat sauerkraut, raw fermented cabbage. This has lots of these good bacteria to help a long way. Another tip is to drink applecidervinager. Mix how you like, but don't go higher than 50/50 water/applecidervinager. This will also help to strenghten the stomach acid making it easier to digest the food your eating. Another great thing to eat is raw garlic. Chop it up into pieces, get it into your mouth and chew it. Breathe in and out. Now this will sting a little so do it in a way comfortable for you. This method also helps your teeth and gum area to heal.

Remember folks: CHEW your food. Help your gut cause your teeth should be your work horses here. Don't swallow large bits of food, chew it 15-30 times. Enjoy your food, as we all should, while also helping your stomach.

Going back to the better, more nutritious foods definitely reduces symptoms. Going back to bad foods, especially short time before sleep brings the pain back again.
Doing yoga, long walks and other forms of exercise reduce my pain.

Those days when I wanna eat that stuff I know is bad for me, I at least try to do a good compensation by giving the body lots of good, nutritious stuff, exercise, and lots and lots of water. Preferably filtered, but not necessarily PH-neutralised since it will weaken the stomach acid and that would be a bad idea as long as you're facing this partiular health issue.

Me, being a bit of a "health nut" I often make good nutritious juices with cellery, radishes, cucumber, tomato, beats, apples, carrots and so on. Using a good juicer you can extract massive amounts of nutrition which is great for detoxing bad stuff from the body. The problem when you're having this health issue is that the kidneys are already packed with detox jobs. Drinking these juices will force the body to try and flush out more toxins so this will make problems worse. Avoid the juices until symptoms have stabilised and you've cleared your intestines for a day or two (maybe more) making sure the body can get rid of the waste without any blockage.

Last thing I've gonna mention is the fact that many many many times when this health issue occurs, in my opinion, the underlying cause is actually an overgrowth of candida in the body. This extremely common health issue which creates other problems such as this kidney problem is something people face everyday over the world and they don't know it.

An overgrowth of candida creates more toxins in the body and sends them out throughout the intestines where they're most common. The amount of toxins in the body during candida overgrowth is exponential so you guys should definitely check out if you might have candidiasis. If so, that probably explains your kidney issues but definitely a lot of other issues and symptoms as well.

I hope this has been helpful.
I have had the same problem since I was 15 and now I am 36 and still seem to have it the same. I have been to countless doctors and no answers only "you may have to live with this". When I breath in it hurts and once I use the bathroom and get up moving around it feels better. Some days it lasts longer but most days it is just for half hour or so once getting up.   I have noticed that when I have alcohol it helps and no pain- but it must be more than just one drink it must be at least 4 or 5. I also thought maybe fruit was a problem
PYGEUM POWDER!!! I have the same pains and urinary problems that many of you do and have recently purchased pygeum powder input about a teaspoon full in a glass of water and drink it about 2 hrs every night before bedand it not only helps my back pain so that I can sleep but it also makes me not have to go to the bathroom as many times in the night. I never thought that I was going to have a good night's sleep again but this seems to be working very well. If you stop taking it then the pain comes back almost immediately. Pygeum is an all natural African bark and when put in water taste like a gritty tea.I hope many of you read this and take my advice you can buy a pound of Pygeum online for about $25. PYGEUM,  IT WORKS!
Do you sleep on your side. If so, a knee pillow could resolve your back pain. I developed Sleepy Kneez because I needed relief from back pain.
Wow I just read your comment and when I drink alcohol the night before I wake up with no pain also! I wonder how that affects it?? I am so happy I found this site, as I really thought I was the only one and I cant find any cures either!
I thought I was the only one!  My left flank pain started 18 years ago!  In the dawn of the web, I wasn't able to find any answers.  I gave up searching about 8 years ago.  Imagine my surprise to stumble upon this forum.  I hope my information will be valuable to some of the people on this forum.  For reference, my issues seem to be most similar to those of Javi72 who posted on this forum on Mar 12, 2014.

Every night about 5 hours into the sleep: intense pain; a mildly deep breath generated a highly intense and localized pain like a broken rib.  I could not even talk half of a fully deep breath.  Get out of bed to urinate and the pain goes away for the rest of the night.  It sure suggested a kidney issue.  I went to my physician and was referred to a urologist.  I had ultrasounds and tons of urine tests done over the course of a year or so, and there were no indications of problems.  Back to self diagnosis and experimentation.  I discovered that just getting up and walking around for a minute relieved the pain; it was mostly a fluke that getting up to urinate made it subside.  If I went through the same motions without actually urinating, the pain also subsided.  But having a full bladder does influence the pain.

These things make it worse:
- Sleeping on my left side or back.
- Eating a large meal (especially carbohydrate rich) too soon before bed
- Having a fuller bladder at night seems to exacerbate the pain, not cause it

These things make it less:
- Moving to my right side when I sleep
- Taking pain medication like ibuprofen
- Not drinking too much fluid in the evening and therefore not having as full a bladder at night
- Eating moderately and nothing after dinner time
- Massage!  This has the most effect, almost eliminating the situation completely.

Ultimately I found relief from a massage therapist.  She figured it is my quadratus lumborum muscle.  Others on this forum have mentioned the psoas muscle, and it might be that one (or both), but it certainly seems to be a muscle issue.  Now every night before bed I massage the area for about 10 minutes with a massage ball and that almost always prevents the pain.  I start with the massage ball next to my spine and about on top of the bottom rib.  I work along the rib away from the spine, then down towards the iliac crest.  Often I can feel the muscles spasm before relaxing.

1. Age/sex male
51

2. How long have you experienced the pains?
18 years

3. What kind of pain (duration, intensity, location, Rate on a scale from 1-10, 1 being no pain at all 10 being the worst pain imaginable.
8 - highly intense but very localized.  An attempt at taking a fully deep breath might make me collapse.

4. Is there something you do commonly the day before you have pain. (work out, drink alcohol, be lazy, drink little fluids, it can be anything)
No.  I have worked out most of my life but have also had long periods where I haven't worked out or exercised at all.  Makes no difference.  When the pain started I was an international level amateur natural (drug-free) bodybuilder (5'10" 210lbs).  Now I'm about 180lbs and a cyclist.
Alcohol doesn't seem to have either a positive or negative effect.  Nor caffeine.

5. What is your sleeping position? (side, back, curled, head pillow, pillow between legs)
Mostly stomach with my legs legs making a "4" when looking down from above.  Also sleep on sides, occasionally on my back.  

6. Do you have back problems?
Scoliosis.  It doesn't cause any issues for me (other than possibly this one).

7. How is your posture during waking hours?
Fine

8. How much do you urinate the mornings you wake with pain? (none, little, moderate, a lot)
Normal
My right flank pain started two years ago. At first it was intermittent; now it is chronic. Over the last six plus months things have gotten a lot worse. Pain is intolerable at night, there doing the day, but tolerable. Physical activity of any kind makes it much worse. I first thought I had might have a herniated disk and went to an orthopedic clinic. They put me with a rehabilitation/pain management doctor. Had x-rays which showed the typical things that occur with aging. Did several months of physical therapy which had no lasting effect. Second round was with a physician's assistant who did an MRI. The MRI showed disc degeneration and minor bulging of two lumbar disks, but nothing that matched up with the level of pain I was having. I was astounded that nothing more serious was found. Pain became so severe within a few weeks I was in the ER. Outcome there was a muscle relaxer, pain killers, and recommendation to see neurosurgeon. Saw the neurosurgeon a few weeks later. He reconfirmed that my x-rays and MRI showed nothing that was a concern. I re-emphasized how severe my pain was, which led him to look back over older scans in my records. He tuned in on a cyst on my right kidney seen in a scan done within the past year for a different problem. He ordered a new CT scan which of course showed the cyst (8-10cm). He referred me to a urologist. The urologist looked over various scans in my record back about six years. He said the cyst had been there throughout and had not grown, therefore concluding the cyst was unlikely the source of my pain. He said it could be referred pain. I asked "from where, and how could we get it nailed down". There wasn't an answer I could live with. He said I could see the surgeon. I scheduled that appointment. Upon seeing the surgeon, he agreed with the findings of the urologist, adding that the type of cyst I have is not uncommon and seldom is a source of pain in the area of the kidney. Again, I faced "no where to go from here". I had formulated a backup plan in case this was the outcome. I talked about the possibility of draining the cyst versus removing it(which might require the kidney to come out, too), if for no other reason, to gather some information to decide what to do next. In other words, if the pain goes away, the cyst was the culprit; if not, what next. He agreed, and draining the cyst is next. If draining the cyst does not take the pain away, I have to figure out what to after that.

I have no criticism of the doctors who have tried to help me, but making my way through the system to a diagnosis and treatment has been exasperating and I continue to fail. If someone told me, there is nothing that can be done and exactly why, then I'll figure out how to live with that. The thing that keeps nagging me is the possibility that there is a solution that could return me to a active and productive lifestyle. Now I'm second-guessing my decision to drain the cyst, but once again I seem to have nowhere else to go. After reading dozens of posts on this topic where almost identical symptoms are being described, I would have thought getting to a cause and treatment would be straight forward. It appears that is not the case.

I got some good ideas from reading through the posts here, and I'm going to give them a try.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I got rid of mine in 30 days taking two turkey tail capsules a day and sleeping on a wedge pillow. Also quit using vibrating massager. Dr were no help. Good luck.
Hello, I am a 33 year old male. Regular smoker and drinker.  I have had these pains in my lower back on and off for about 4 years now and I always thought that it was my kidneys.  Some mornings I can't take a deep breath without pain. It will wake me early in the morning between 4-6am and I always fight getting up, but that never works.  As soon as I get up and urinate and move around for a few minutes, the pain seems to disappear.  I finally went to the Dr. to see what was going on.  They tested my urine and everything was normal.  The Dr. laid me down and listened to my lungs and determined that I have lower lung inflammation which is probably causing the pressure down there.  He called it pleurisy and/or chronic bronchitis.  He said that my right lung seemed to more inflamed than the left, which makes since because that is usually the side that hurts the most (I had not told him which side was worse because he never asked).  He prescribed me some medication to take twice daily for 10 days that should make the pleurisy go away.  I'm really hoping it works!  It is very uncomfortable and is costing me valuable sleep time.  I just started the meds today and I will post my results once the meds are done.  Fingers crossed.
Obstructive uropathy,  Google it.
     I am a 47 yr old, 115lb, white female with a husband and children.
     I have had back pain since my marriage 21 years ago. Fibromyalgia was a huge problem for years. Pain sometimes for months on one side then the next day it would move to the other side for a few more months or so, then gone, then back in a different spot. This affected my sleep but was also horrible during the day. When I'd wake up in the morning I would just have to tell myself to "WALK" and get up and go. I don't get the fibro pain anymore unless I eat too many sweets, so pretty sure what causes that pain.
     I've also have had the flank pain for many years now off and on. And now, I also get accompanying tightness in my back from the base of my ribs up to my shoulder blades. This only happens during my sleep (and I LOVE my sleep!). About 3-4am it begins. And, it intensifies if I try to turn and readjust my position. Getting up to urinate helps, but just plain getting out of bed is what I have to do to have the pain go away. I'm still a bit sore during the morning hours, but getting out of bed definitely helps. Also, exercise helps. I love to walk, and plus it's healthy so I feel better mentally and physically. Yoga is great also, love yoga! Maybe all the stretching helps.
     I have had all the tests you can have over the years and there has never been anything significant that would cause any of these pains.
     I will try to sleep on a slight incline to see if that helps. I will also try magnesium water - as sugar leeches magnesium from our bodies(Water oz, magnesium dietary supplement). I will try the other dietary suggestions one at time to see if anything helps. Massages don't help me necessarily. A therapist has to have a touch, it can't just be routine. But even then, my back usually actually feels worse, even though I've been relaxed during the massage.
     But what I've found for pretty much anything that goes wrong in our bodies the problems are: DIET, EXERCISE AND STRESS!!!!
     I'll just add that this is my first marriage. I am a parent and a step-parent. I have not had an easy go with the "position". I had a full-term stillborn for my first pregnancy, then a miscarriage, then two normal births. I have an uncooperative spouse when it comes to any kind of fairness between first vs second families, ex's, discipline, support, responsibilities, finances, etc. My husband favors one child, enables him even though he's an addict, and won't cut the apron strings - this "kid" is 28!
     Needless to say, married life, other than one of my step children and my own "blood" born children, has been a tough road. When I visit my parents, without my husband, I sleep good and life is peachy. I believe if we can be strong and lose the stressors, (as another person posted) whatever they may be, life would be good for everybody :)
im 20 years old and have been experiencingthe same type of pain so i usually just wake up for a few seconds and stretch and it goes away but it does hinder me from sleeping and the pain is hard to bare
My flank pain is directly tied to the mattress I sleep on. Using a 4" mattress topper from Walmart and pain disappeared over night. If I stay at my daughters, I cannot slrrp on the guest bedroom mattress past 3am.  While the Walmart topper  works fine it is low quality and will not last, the side where I sit is breaking down.
For the past several months or so I had also been experiencing pain in my lower back that would only begin after about 2-4 hours of sleep. It was usually enough to wake me up and to keep me from going back to sleep. The pain went away if I was standing up or sitting up, but if I tried to lay back down it would begin hurting again. Only after several hours of standing/sitting could I attempt to lay back down.

I've had a firm Tempur-Pedic mattress for the last 15+ years and I've never had problems with back pain before. After the pain started, I tried to solve the problem by purchasing a padded mattress topper (no success) and sleeping in a variety of positions (very limited success). However, the pain continued and so I just settled into a routine of going to bed earlier, waking up in the middle of the night for a few hours, and then trying to go back to bed again after for a few more hours of sleep.

Solution: Drinking more water seems to have eliminated my back pain completely. I sort of stumbled on this solution by accident after noticing that a few random pain-free nights seemed to follow days in which I drank more water. I'm the kind of person who only drinks beverages during meals, rarely needs refills, and rarely gets thirsty at other times. I'd say that on average I was drinking the equivalent of about 2 bottles of water a day (~4 cups). However, on days that I consumed more water, my back pain did not appear during the night. I've since been drinking about double my normal amount and I've been pain free for about 2 consecutive weeks.

I know that there are a lot of people here and that there are probably a variety of different causes for their pain, so my solution is unlikely to work for everyone. In any case, I wanted to share what has worked for me in the hopes that it might also work for someone else too. Good luck!
I have these pains also.....I sleep on my sides.....never on my back....I wake up around 4 or 5 in the morning because the pain is horrible and I can't get comfortable enough to fall back asleep.  I thought it was because I have been constipated for the past few months, but im working on becoming regular and I still have those pains.  I have read all the other posts and no one has an answer for this.  I am 44 yr old female with a very physical job.  Is this pain because my body is exhausted?   It feels like muscular pain but goes away when I get out of bed.  Im going to my chiropractor on monday and going to ask him about this.  It's very aggravating to not be able to sleep and I dont want to have this for years like some of the people who have posted.  Someone help us please!
I've also found that sugar seems to exacerbate my fibro symptoms.  That back "tightness" - I hope talked to your PCP, though it sounds like you feel it's muscular, as you describe it as "sore" in the morning.   (And I hope your parents live close enough so that you can visit them often.)
I've had this flank pain for years, sometimes right, sometimes left, sometimes both.  Previously experienced as "annoying", its become more frequent and more intense over the past few years.  Per everyone, once I'm upright and moving around the pain goes away.  As most, my PCP has no explanation.  Massage is lovely but really doesn't do anything for my pain, though I did notice early on that having pressure against those areas makes it feel good WHILE the pressure is there.  (Sometimes I wedge a neck pillow against the area.)  But, as soon as the pressure is released, the pain returns.  Position (other than upright) does not make a difference for me.  

This may be coincidence, but it does seem FOR ME that the pain is worse when my fluid intake was poor during that day.  But some have posted the opposite - so that's not a constant.   I too, avoid breathing deeply with this pain, as it really "hurts".  This week, out of frustration, wanting a big breath, and p..... off about the pain, I found an absolutely absurd response that's blasted the pain each morning so far.  A few nights ago, waking in pain, I made myself take a really deep breath.  A breath where my chest really expanded and my diaphragm felt really low.  I held that breath for a few seconds.  It hurt, but I did it anyway.  When I exhaled - the pain was gone, and I was able to go back to sleep.   About 2 hours later, I woke and had my pain.  I took the deep breath and it disappeared again.  I have no idea why - whether it has to do with physics of changing chest pressures with blood flow, or some nerve receptors, or Oxygen supply, or maybe with pressure against the kidney blood vessels/drainage system (as some have discussed) - Idk.  But  it worked without me getting out of bed and allowed me to get back to sleep.  Unfortunately it doesn't explain the pain, or prevent it.  But it did give me temporary relief and sleep.  

I'm planning to try some of the suggestions here, like the Magnesium to see if that helps.
I also have this pain that wakes you up and continues until you stand up for a few minutes. I've noticed it gets aggravated if I share my bed with someone that night (which could either be sex or cuddling the other person while sleeping) or if I have sat down a lot on the day before.

I'm 6'5".  I take biotin and vitamin D. I'm fairly active on most days. I weigh about 205lbs. I always sleep with a fan on and usually keep my room cold.

I sleep on my side and one morning while I had the pain, I examined my posture. I noticed my hips were very uneven (the side against the bed was much lower than the side facing upwards) and this made me wonder if my spine (which is already long enough as it is) was drooping down towards the center and causing pinching for a prolonged period of time. Or if the muscles around the spine are being subjected to prolonged flexion/extension.

My bottom line is this, the pain doesn't happen as soon as you lie down, and it goes away a few minutes after you stand up. Something about the posture we exhibit while we're sleeping, our mattress, or our movement/lack-of-movement while we sleep must be causing this. And what we do throughout the day can sometimes determine the severity of the pain.
Any results?
I too like all of you have the same flank/back issue.
I always slept with one arm up under my pillow,  I had to stop this,  now I have to sleep with that arm down at my side,  and bring my hip that's laying on the bed closer to my shoulder that's on the same side,  so shoulder and hip closer together,  if I stretch out,  the pain will return.
I also went to the physio and he said the muscles are pretty tight on those areas and he recommend acupuncture,  so after 10 needles in and 15min later,  I started to feel a bit better.
The first nights sleep was way better and the second better again. I will be going back next Wednesday June 6th 2015 and ask for a bigger session with acupuncture,  I think this maybe the way to go. I'll keep an update going for you all off you're interested.
Cheers and fingers crossed.
Magnesium is the answer for me I think. It all started when I started taking vitamins. Actually I'm not taking vitamins I'm drinking an herbal infusion called stinging nettle, and it has lots of calcium in it. Calcium is the opposite of magnesium and they have to be in balance in your body. So a lot of people on here maybe taking calcium that may be affecting them and throwing off their ratios. This all started for me when I started getting extra vitamins. I hope this helps someone. I realize that it is probably not all of your answers but if you try supplementing with magnesium it couldn't hurt and you're probably deficient in it anyway.
I took 250 mg of magnesium glycinate 3 times yesterday and no more back pain!!!!  
I have had this flank pain for about 6 months now.  If you all are having these symptoms, you may want to consider getting tested for Ankylosing Spondilitis.  It is a form of arthritis in the back that is very common in people ages 20-40, that causes this type of back pain.  I, like many of you, was completely confused about what was going on and thought it all might be in my head.  It wasn't until I had another symptom pop up that my doctor suggested may be actually related.  I had Iritis (swelling of the iris in my eye) 3 times within a year.  I wondered how it could relate to my back pain, but lo and behold, it is very common for the two to be related.  That being said, you don't always have the iritis as a symptom.  Generally they can diagnose this with a blood test, x-rays, and/or MRI.
My pain was the same but it's gone now. Giving up coffee totally cured me, I drank coffee from beans not the instant type. Also I should add I only drank one mug of strong black coffee a day with breakfast.
Pain was a deep ache in the kidney area with a winded feeling that started about 3-4hrs after going to bed. I would soon recover after standing.
I had a urine kidney test that said my kineys were fine at my local surgery.
I hope that might help someone.
Hi! Friends,
I too have a similar pain and doubted as much that it is from the kidneys. I initially used to think it is my improper sleeping habits which caused this pain so I tried changing my bed and position of sleep. I learned that sleeping on the floor is good and I did not experience this pain, but when I switched over to the bed the pain kicked in. But after all my trials I conclude that the lower back pain is due to gas build up in the abdomen. Try it. Do not have your night meals before going to bed or have a light meal which is not to gaseous in nature and note the result and if you do please share it with all of us on this thread.
Hi! Friends,
I just started having this problem about 3-4 mths ago with pain in mostly left kidney area during the night, sometimes both, but it isn't relieved by getting up and walking around. It takes 3-5 hours in the morning and still tender to touch throughout the day. It's been ages since I've had a good nights sleep. Went to Dr numerous times already & when I told her the pain goes away after a few hours she just said, "it's just muscular'"w/o doing any tests and left it at that. I'm so frustrated. Sometimes it hurts so bad I can barely move. Diet helps some, but not always. I still have the pain even without the sweets. I already don't eat gluten or dairy anyway.  I'm going to try the elevation suggestion and see how that works. That sounded like a good idea.
I had kidney stones about 4 years ago and ever since I experience this lower left back pain from time to time while sleeping.  The only cure that works for me is to sleep on my stomach with one arm up around my head and one at the side (or just get out of bed!)  I do feel that these uncomfortable nights correlate with a gassy, late night dinner or drink.  I have also experienced this when my bladder was full. At it's worst, it feels like something in there is just throbbing with pain.  It worries me, but my doctor has also given the "muscle" diagnosis.  It seems too ironic to have acquired this pain after those stones (which were passed naturally.) Male/34  
I also have had this pain off and on since I was 14.  I am 39 now.  My pain also wakes me up, causes extreme pain when inhaling and is relieved by urinating and sitting up for just a few minutes.  I can initiate the pain while awake by lying down for a long time.  I do not wake up with the pain if I drink alcohol.  I believe 100% that it is kidney related.  I am going to try the magnesium and keep a log of fluid intake and vitamins to try to pinpoint exactly what helps and what makes it worse.  I also thought I was the only person in the world with this problem.
I feel exactly as you do.  I am so afraid to go to bed at night.  I don't know what the problem is, but I am relieved to find that it may not be fatal as many others have experienced the same problem for years.
I, too, have gone to the doctor, had an MRI, and been told that nothing seems to be amiss.  After reading these posts I'm going to rush out and get some magnesium tablets, just in case they may help.
I don't agree with the "pooling" theory, as I get up at least six times a night to relieve myself (I take a water pill and would rather pee at night than throughout the day) therefore I don't collect urine in my bladder.  I was grossly overweight and lost 65 pounds over a period of two years.  During that time I ate little or no carbohydrates, ate no sugar and drank at least 80 ounces of water every day.  I do not drink coffee but I do like zero cola. During the two year period I did not suffer from the side pain, which feels like waking up with a butcher knife stuck in my right side below my rib cage.  The initial pain goes away after a while upon standing and moving around, but there is always a hint of it lurking in there somewhere.
I have very little stress in my life, I am 74 years old, own my home, pay my bills and have no debt.  I have family, friends and canine companionship.  I have many interests and hobbies and keep my mind alert.  I teach music and dance and keep my mind alert writing books making teaching videos.  I am not a wimp or hypochondriac and I have a rather high pain threshold,  But this HURTS.  It was really the only stress I am having right now, and reading this blog has helped alleviate that stress because I now know I am not crazy and more importantly I am not alone.
I have a very simillar problem for 5-7 years now. I've been to handfull of doctors who coundnt find a cause. Until i went to neuroligist. Apparently one of my vertibree is slightly moved which causes uneven musceles and maybe a blicked nerve... I have started electrostymation for my spine myscles and it seems to be getting better.. Fingers crossed!
Have the same problem as most....but I read all the comments yesterday and noticed three or four cases where magnesium supplements fixed the problem so yesterday I bought some. Well I'm laying in bed right now pain free. Can't believe it. So happy!!! Go buy some magnesium vitamins people.
Relieved I found this forum! I have suffered from back pain for a long time now, but last year around May I developed a pain on my right hand side waist. It always seems to come on after sleeping for a few hours and then persists throughout the night and for a while when I wake up. I have tried adjusting my sleeping position multiple times but it hasn't helped. Sometimes the pain (though it becomes more of an ache in the day) will persist through the day which is what I'm currently experiencing. I've noticed also that I have a tendency to get more bloated now, even when I haven't eaten. I did wonder if it had anything to do with my right ovary being removed as roughly after that is when the pain started. It just seems strange though as it is so much higher up. Unfortunately I live in Cambodia at present and the medical expertise here is non-existent; Bangkok is incredibly expensive so I am trying to sort out another solution before flying home to England in July. It's very blatant that my right side feels different to my left. Occasional bouts of weakness and bowel problems happen also so I'm not sure if anything is related.
I have the exact type of pain as what you described. It comes on after sleeping for a few hours and hurts so badly that I can barely turn to the other side. After I am up and moving around for a while, it lessens to an ache and then mostly goes away. I was afraid that it was something kidney related and I have not been to the doctor yet. I was wondering if you have been home yet and been evaluated.
Funny thing about the artificial sugars...

I have NEVER had pain like this until I started drinking vitamin water ZERO with artificial sweeteners! And I have also NEVER had artificial sweeteners before either

So now I am going to cut out the artificial stuff and see what happens. I will also try the sloping method "if" the pain doesn't go away after the artificial sweetener removal.
I will also try magnesium but at the moment I get allot of magnesium in all the wholesome food I eat so I dont think thats an issue
VL7
I'm like you - the pain doesn't disappear quickly from getting up - it hangs around and slowly fades out. Maybe it's from snacking during the evening and eating fruit (which I know isn't a good time of day to be eating fruit). Not sure if it's dietary or whether it's functional like 'obstructive uropathy' though if it's the latter and not seen to promptly it may exacerbate problems in the future.

I too was tested with blood and urine and was given the 'all clear.' My pain suggests otherwise. Pain like this isn't normal.
This is the first post I found that describes the exact symptoms I've been having for more than half my life, (31 year old male). Tell your idiot doctor that he can rule out muscle loss due to pregnancy! Clearly that's not the case, since guys don't get pregnant. It is indeed frustrating, because no MD can seem to figure this out. Good luck all, cheers.
Drink alot more water, cut out soda pop and caffeine