Urology Community
Flank pain only during sleep/upon waking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Viewing 201-207 comments:
P.S. I forgot to mention that I am still having minor swelling in my eyes, but not nearly as puffy as they were when waking. I believe as I cure myself with my working theory this will continue to decrease.
OMG female aged 37; same symptoms.  COuld it be the ingredients in diet coke/other such juices?  I sometimes get pain in my knees - but main problem waking up with combination of stiff/aching lower back, pain in front lower abdomen and sometimes either side under my rib cage - feels like I've been punched.  Had this now for 3 years.
Yes...diet coke/artificial sweeteners. Read the posts just above yours. I have also learned that the white powdered Stevia bought in stores is highly processed and refined with chemicals. I have just ordered raw green powdered stevia leaf and will be making a nectar out of it for use in my coffee and sweet tea. Being a diabetic, raw sugar and honey are not an option.
Do any of you smoke?, I also have these pains every time I wake, I`ve put it down to all the gunk in my lungs!, maybe when I lie down or relax during sleep it`s all moving around, just a suggestion..
I know my pain is related to a recent fall.  Two weeks ago, I took a spill while holding my baby granddaughter.  I protected her, but of course took the brunt on my low back/bum.  I immediately felt pain from my lower ribs to my hips, all the way across (like a big square), but especially in the flanks.  About a week later, I started getting excruciating pain in the flanks, especially on the right side, but quickly noticed it was much worse when laying down, and getting up was murder.  

Went to the doc thinking it was an impacted bowel/severe constipation, which is fairly common after an injury.  That issue has been resolved, but the flank pain is still terrible.  I can only sleep on my right side, and only for a few hours at a time.  I have to slowly slide myself off my bed to get up, and even that is horribly painful.  Once I'm up and moving, the pain is still there, but about a tenth of what it is when I'm either in bed or trying to get up.

I don't use any artificial sweeteners, so that can't be it.  

The pain is instant upon laying down until I get into a comfortable position.  I don't think I move in the night because it hurts too much.  It's been going on for almost a week now.  The left side hurts, too, but it's nothing like the right side.  

Any suggestions?    
Does anyone have a duplicated renal system in all of this as well? I have had this similar pain on and off for years. Had endoscopy and other type tests done and was told reflux was root of pain. Always felt a sort of kink in my side up high near rib cage. Not gallbladder, they tested that. So lived with it and occasionally had he back flank pain as well. Now the flank has become more organized, so I went in. Thought UTI for sure. (Have had a teeny kidney stone a year ago, so some UTI's as well, so familiar with it).

Nope, no UTI, but have had consistent microscopic blood in urine (hematuria) at physical for 3 years running. So now I have a few things (flank pain, hematuria and my short stone history) to refer me to a urologist. So a CT scan happened. They found a non obstructive stone, but told me to still see the urologist. He tells me of this duplicated renal system (2 sections inside each kidney rather than one, and 2 ureters tubes, but my right side stats with 2 tubes that eventually become one). About 1-5% of the population has it. Not a big deal unless it becomes a big deal with other symptoms like I DO have.He said my pain could be something called "dietals Crisis", potentially where the 2 tubes become one. So I am having a Lasix test tomorrow (they inject a tracer and fill me with lasix to see it go through my renal system, watch what it does, see if there are any blockages or hold ups as with this crisis thing. If they find that, I get laproscopic surgery. Will see if anything comes of it??
I am also experiencing this same medical issue waking up in excrutiating pain in my kidneys, back that radiates to my front as soon as I wake up, and I have to jump out of bed fast and walk around and it subsides after about 10 mins most time.; though I have had a couple of these linger all day at work too making me feel really sick. I went ot he Dr right after having one of these attacks and he sen tme to the emerg room and they didn't find anything wrong with me and thought it was an anxiety attack. I disagreed as I only get anxiety attacks in my chest and armpit and this is totally different and happens in my sleep. I started a year ago with these attacks and it's very scary and I sometimes feel like I am going to die as I am in great distress as many of you also experience. This is way too frightening to not get diagnosed and have to continue to suffer them. I need to sedn this blog to DR OZ so he can do a show about this as we need research done and validation that we are not all crazy!  I am sending this blog to my Dr to read!
I have had this problem for many years. Mine is intermittent though, not every night. What I have been able to deduce from experiments is the cause is from eating too much fruit, particularly peaches, nectarines and any melons. I awoke this morning with the pain on both sides and I have been using peaches in my smoothies every morning this week. I haven't had the pain for at least a year; probably this time last year when eating peaches and melons...

I do not take any medications other than an occasional Tylenol (headache) or Benadryl (allergies).

I would encourage everyone to experiment with food and any over-the-counter meds that you can safely stop taking for a few days. Who knows...
So I am not going crazy after all!!! I have been waking up every morning with severe pains in my back, to the point where I am nearly in tears! It has been going on for around a few months now... I have changed my mattress as I thought that might have something to do with it.. Still no relief! I went to my doctor and he told me that my back isn't strong enough which is why I am experiencing pain, although I agree that this might be true I am not convinced that this is the reason I am being kept awake at night. Re4lisa, it is really inreresting what you said about artificial sweeteners as I drink dilute juice before bed every night.. I am useless when it comes to drinking water, however like you, the pain seems to pass when I urinate in the morning. I am going to do this experiment myself and see whether it makes any difference! I am also going to start an exercise class to see whether that helps. Finally I am not alone! Thanks for all the advice everyone x
I have been pain free for over two months! Relief is wonderful! For me the flank pain after 5 hours of sleep with immediate relief after getting up and urinating was artificial sweeteners. I started exercising and cut out ALL artificial sweeteners and the pain went away and has not returned. I bought some raw green stevia leaf and made an extract from that which I use in my iced tea on the few occasions I drink it. But for the most part I drink water. I still have my coffee in the morning and use raw unprocessed sugar in that which does not seem to effect my diabetes to much since I use so little. I will not touch anything with an artificial sweetener ever again. Please any of you experiencing this pain that I described in my first post above...cut out all artificial sweeteners, drink mostly water and do some sort of low impact exercise 30 minutes a day and I believe you will find relief.
I may have some useful info for some of you.

Ive been reading this message board for a long time searching for answers for this flank pain ive felt every morning for the better part of 6 years. Ive been to PT, Acupuncture, MRIs, Chiropractic, Sleep study, Urologist, 2 mattresses etc. to no avail. Ive tried most everything suggested on here and i finally found something that i think did the trick for me.

STRETCH YOUR PSOAS MUSCLES.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but for those that think their pain came out of nowhere and is muscle related, take 10 minutes and try it. Its worth a shot, especially for those that sit at a desk or drive a lot.

Theres a great video by East West Healing and Performance on youtube showing how to stretch it and take the compression off your spine. The guys' name is Josh Rubin. There's other good videos on youtube as well about the psoas, just look them up.

Hope this helps some of you as much as it has helped me.

Good luck!!

Ryan

WM 46YOA I've had the same symptoms, flank pain wakes me up in the morning.  My MD did a ultrasound of my kidneys and blood and urine, all normal. It seems they started a few weeks after I started seeing the chiropractor.
I too have suffered with this pain for years, the difference is, I think I know what causes it for me.  I do know that I have bladder reflux. that is when your bladder backs up into your kidneys. I get the severe flank pain when i drink too much soda and sometimes any soda at all. I never drink diet, so I know it is not the chemicals from the artificial sweeteners.  The key is water....and lots of it. If I drink water most of the day and a bottle of 16 to 20 oz before I goto bed, the pain is less or not at all. If I drink a large soda, like I did last night, I am up before dawn in great pain. I think that people do not realize how much unnatural food/drinks they ingest and how hard that is on our systems. Try giving your kidneys a break and drink lots of water for a few days, who know it may help and it is cheaper than going to the Dr.
I found an unexpected solution that surprised me at how effective it's been. I had exactly the symptoms described. A pain in my flank that began in the middle of the night and completely cleared up when I got up and walked around. It persisted for more than a year, finally growing so bad that it interrupted sleep. I went to a doctor who found nothing. I didn't want to go to serious pain killers. But for no particular reason, I tried sleeping on two pillows one night and there was no pain in the middle of the night. It had to have something to do with my head being elevated, but I can't figure out how it would be that effective. And it didn't matter whether I slept on my right sode, where the pain was, or on my left. No pain. I've now gone about six weeks and the pain has not returned. As an experiment, I slept on one pillow one night and around 3 in the mornng, I began to feel the start of the pain again. I went back to two pillows and it was gone. This is likely a solution that worked for me and does not work for many others. But you may as well try it too, just to eliminate it as a possibility. Good luck.
Pain is the same for me, 5 months straight now. My ultrasound looked clear but my CT showed crystals/sand like stones in my left kidney but no blockage. They mentioned the possibility of an Anderson Carr kidney that produces these stones all the time and my body maybe passing them all the time. I continually test positive for microscopic traces of blood in my urine and I have been getting repeated UTIs :( GP continues to prescribe antibiotics for the UTI and pain meds. I finally got in to see a urologist thinking he can help me but he looked at my CT and said everything looks normal. I said "these crystals are normal?" He said yes, they shouldn't be causing the pain I described. He said if it was my kidneys the pain wouldn't subside. I asked about things getting crushed or getting too much pressure while I lay down and he said impossible. I asked if I do in fact have Anderson Carr kidneys would they cause me pain and he said no. I asked if having blood in my urine and continual UTIs is normal and he said yes. I'm giving up
I have the same pain and I was told I have interstitial cystitis and now having surgery sounds like you need to go to a new Urologist.
I have had this problem for about a year now. And it comes and goes. Ill have it for months then it will go away for months. I had an ultrasound on my kidneys and one is enlarged. And has a 6mm cyst on it. Its clear and not anything to worry about. I started trying different things and have had some success. I went through a couple months where I would drink at least a half gallon of water a day. If not more. I did that for a while and the pain went away. I think it has more to do with my back then my kidney. When my back hurts my flank also hurts. But the back pain comes first, then comes the flank pain while I sleep. I have been getting dehydrated for the past couple weeks from being sick and now everything has come back. I will be going back to my usual to treat this. Which is drink over a half gallon water during the day, drink very little fluids after 7pm, take 4 advil  at bed time. (Im 6'4 230lbs) Last time I did this I felt better after about 2 weeks.
I have the same problems, post baby and for the last7 years now. I had a slight prolaps as a result of childbirth and i read that might be the cause. About to se the doctor next week. Good luck to you all.
How did they discover them for you? I had an ultrasound and they said it looked normal. I had a CT and they say the small sand like stones. I booked another appointment with a different urologist in another city but I have to wait till February to see him. I just want to get that second opinion just to be sure.
I also have had flank pain that wakes me  3 to 4 hrs after going to sleep for about a year off & on and has increased to nightly for the last month.  It goes away after I've been up and about for an hour or so with only lingering back discomfort, but not the excruciating flank pain.

I also began with flutters in my heart about a year ago that changed to a palpitation like getting slapped in the chest 4 mos after the flutters started.  No one can tell me what is going on with my heart (neg Ultrasound, Stress test, EKC, 24 hr monitor) other than stress on my job.  I quit my job 4 days ago.  I'm wondering if my symptoms between my kidneys and heart are related in some way.  

I'm a 50 yr old female.  I do not smoke, do not drink sodas, use Stevia in my decaff coffee (will try to go w/o).  I've had my appendix removed, complete hysterectomy, hypothyroid, frequent UTI's, and was recently put on meds for high BP & to regulate the Palpitations----I'm still having the palps..

I'm thinking that what may be going on is when I lay down to go to sleep, that my urine refluxes or my ureters get pinched off by pressure (highly unlikely since it's both kidneys) or possibly the blood flow gets decreased by pressure which may also explain my elevated BP.  Sleeping on my stomach with my chest propped up on top of two pillows with my pelvis not on the pillows is about the only way I get any relief (not the best position for my neck), but when I get into this position, I'm already in such excruciating pain that it takes a long time to go away.  When sleeping on my sides I use a pillow between my knees but it doesn't matter if I sleep on my sides or my back--I am guaranteed to wake up w/ excruciating flank pain.  I have called my Dr & asked if the blood flow or ureters getting compressed could be the problem.  I have had a negative CT Abd/pelvis w/ contrast, negative urinalysis, normal labs, & nothing to explain the cause of my symptoms.  I have an MRI for my lumbar spine, Tilt table test, & a sleep study scheduled as well.  

It sounds like I should try a wedge to sleep at an incline, since some have gotten some relief by using one & it may help if something is getting compressed when I lay down to go to sleep.
Hi!

I'm female, 31, and have had this problem since I was 10!!!!

-- I wake up with pretty hardcore pain in my kidney area ( usually feel it more on the right side) and I can't take a deep breath and it makes me anxious. As is the case with most of you, I get up and after about 10 minutes or so the pain goes away!

-- To this day I have not found out what it is but I keep having to deal with it pretty frequently but there's no true pattern to it.

-- When I first had it as a young girl I was screaming and my parents got up to take me to the ER. By the time I got up and got dressed it went away so we didn't go.......I've since asked numerous doctors about it and no true answers; one doc said that the nerve endings on my kidneys could be more sensitive hence the cramps. OK...I want a cure!

-- I've had multiple mattresses over the last 20 years and for me it didn't do a thing, so I don't recommend wasting your $ on that. I try to wear another shirt under my PJs that is always tucked in, in addition to my PJs being tucked in. This tends to help a bit but doesn't eliminate it.

So many posts about it yet no true cure other than what might have worked for one person but not another :(:(
I have experienced the same symptoms for a few years and finally found the answer which made a huge difference. It was food related and high Salicylates and Wheat products were the main cause.
I have the same symptoms and pain, and it seems worse when I drink alcohol before going toned, pain is in the kidney area so I wonder how much alcohol the rest of you consume?  Changed the mattress to a tune of around $1,000 and made absolutely no diff at all.
I am 56 year old male. Have had morning flank pain (increasingly severe) for over 1 year. Rarely get more than 3 hours sleep.  If I sleep sitting up I am fine - just laying flat causes the pain.  Dr. ordered a full CT - all was normal. After reading through the previous posts I researched ways to stretch the psoas muscle.  After 3 days of doing a couple of stretches the pain has decreased and now - after a week I can sleep through the night.  It is still a bit painful in the morning, but is getting better.  I recommend trying it if you haven't done so yet.  
I am suffering too, Dr. Explained is a reflux issue where bladder is either you full or restricted so back up into kidney, which .is very painful. Avoiding slit of caffeine, and not drinking before bed has helped. This is similar to an acid reflux issue where can't be cured, isn't life threatening. Can only be treated and tolerated. Also it is best that you empty bladder regularly, don't hold it til it feels too full, will help strengthen bladder .
Wow, sorry for the bad grammar/ spelling mistakes, am on my phone... Hope this helps as I too have suffered for years, not one thing the same has really helped all patients with this so my Dr. Says ... I'm 32 with 2 kids .... I can wake up in pain, empty my bladder, walk around the house hot 10 minutes, empty my bladder again and have no pain all day... http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/vesicoureteralreflux/
Did you get any reply on this? as i have recently felt theses symptom and i exactly do not know why it happens.
Did you ever get a proper diagnosis.
I have exactly the same pain and shift to the other side
but it wakes me on the other side as well.
1. Age/sex male,41

2. How long have you experienced the pains? 1 year on/off

3. What kind of pain (duration, intensity, location, Rate on a scale from 1-10, 1 being no pain at all 10 being the worst pain imaginable. 1 to 6

4. Is there something you do commonly the day before you have pain. (work out, drink alcohol, be lazy, drink little fluids, it can be anything) No, I play tennis, drink alcohol regularly in a social way, drink a lot of water, I am 5 10' and weigh 172 lbs, healthy.

5. What is your sleeping position? (side, back, curled, head pillow, pillow between legs) Side .

6. Do you have back problems? mild scoliosis

7. How is your posture during waking hours? always aware of it, got better in the last years

8. How much do you urinate the mornings you wake with pain? (none, little, moderate, a lot) normal

I first experienced the pain described by all exactly a year ago. I totally thought it came from an organ, didn't seem muscular at all. I did the kidney test, etc. and the results were all good, all the organs in the region were just fine. I cannot remember how long after the pain started to vanish...to start again a few weeks ago.

My wife is a licensed PT and back then she didn't know what it could be, but this time she suggested that the pain was originated because of a muscle(s) in the back....and she was RIGHT!

THAT IS WHAT IT IS IN MOST OF THE CASES.

For most of you guys that are experiencing that pain I strongly recommend to get THERAPEUTIC MASSAGES , specially in the area located between the ribs and the hips. I waited a while before posting this comment, to be sure that the massage proved to be effective and IT WAS. After 3 massages I cannot experience the pain anymore, yay!

Why it appears? many reasons, in my case I can remember starting sit ups (specially the type where you just flex your legs with your back flat onto the ground) both times before the pain appeared but also, there is a very common condition where we get 'unaligned'  (on leg gets longer / shorter than the other) and that very simple and common thing can gives us all kinds of pain in the back, butt and / or legs.

I hope this one can help some of you out there. I believe that the mind can heal and sicken us, too....in this case it seems to be just a simple muscle pain. cheers!
Can anybody help me please?
Over the last 5 weeks I have experienced the following symptoms which do not occur every day:
* Excruciating pain below lower right ribcage to lower back only upon waking - sometimes wakes me from 5 am. Cannot do anything to relieve the discomfort. Pain subsides within up to 3 hours.
* Unbearable pain in this area during the few hours after waking when breathing in, especially deeply.
* Wake up shivering, sometimes cannot get warm all day.
* Intermittent breathlessness.
* General feeling of being under weather and tired.

Originally had blood in urine when first episode occurred and was treated then for a UTI.
Recently CAT scan of kidney region came back normal, last urine test was nil for blood/protein etc.

Any advice welcome as I'm quite worried now.

hey dbo9!,

the magnesium worked for me!  thank you so much.

for a couple years now, i wake up with what feels like kidney pain in my lower back.  but because it goes away soon after waking, i forget to get it checked out.  

well late in 2013 it was getting worse in the morning, so searched the net and found this thread.

taking the magnesium completely cures me of the flank pain.  i have no idea why, but if i forget to take my magnesium for a few days, the pain returns...
Add me up !!! I too have the same problem of left flank pain during 4 to 5 AM each day in the morning after I had severe vomit and stomach ache 5 days back . had ultrasound , urine & blood test but everything came normal . It wakes me up everyday at the same time !!

THE CURE I FOUND FOR MY PAIN IS , TO HAVE ALMOST A LITRE OF WATER AFTER IT WAKES ME , THEN IT BECOMES NORMAL .

pls try it out and reply.....
lol... okay, so I'm reading all these replies because I too have just started suffering with mid-lower back/side pain upon waking up each morning (and within five minutes of waking up and walking around the pain is gone 100%). For me it's only been five days... so using the logic I have learned from past experiences the answer given by jesselyon rings a bell with me.

A few years ago I suffered with an issue with an odd neck pain, which I sought medical advice for after putting up with it for three months with no change. Bottom line was I was stressed out and the pain was indeed a psychosomatic one, which is pain or feeling that is in your head (imaginary), but you feel it physically, and it often really hurts! I thought my doctor was being rude and crazy when he suggested I was 'stressed' somehow... but being a man of science and having a background in chemistry/biology I started reading up on my symptoms and related issues, and eventually ended up studying a little psychology for about three months in my own time. I honestly would not have said/thought I was stressed out, but I learned that stress comes in many forms and most of the time we do literally turn a blind eye to it and just carry on. That's when the problem starts, and the longer we leave it the worse it gets (5+ years in some peoples cases after reading here!!!), or in my case, now, the pain shifts from different areas around the body (often leaving me confused and with paranoid feelings of 'what's wrong with me now' lol)... I do have a stressful lifestyle, nothing bad, thankfully, but I really do have a lot on my plate if I really think about it...  whilst studying psychology my symptoms vanished completely within a matter of days once I started reading about coping strategies for psychosomatic symptoms. I changed a few lifestyle factors and added some extra curricular activities to my days and when ever I felt the neck pain I applied the rules I had set myself (coping strategies) and it genuinely eased the pain and then one day I thought to myself 'I have gone a whole day with no pain in my neck at all', and realised I had genuinely 'forgotten about the pain', which is often a stress form itself, constantly worrying about something in the back of you mind can eventually cause a psychosomatic response, which then often takes over without you having any control over it. By reprogramming your brain to forget or manage a particular stress factor you can often eliminate the pain process. (its a bit more technical than this but that is the gist of it, read up on CBT or cognitive behavior training).  After all pain is merely ones own perception of what to expect when we injure ourselves, which is why we all have different pain thresholds. Have you ever cut/bruised yourself and not seen it until later, and then you have felt pain?  

...as for this waking pain I can see it being a bit more of a challenge, as its something happening whilst I/we sleep, but the fact the issue dissolves withing a matter of minutes after standing up would indeed suggest it's not as serious as we may think. I would assume the theory of adding/removing factors from my lifestyle may be the solution.... but with stress, as I said, it may be something that is overlooked and can take time to figure out.

anyway this is a little more food for thought for anyone that may feel lost in looking for an answer... also, don't just carry on hoping that it might stop, you may genuinely have something serious underlying that may need real treatment... only consider what I have said after you seek professional advice!
What type of beds do you all have? I too have these symptoms and was wondering if it is related to my tempurpedic
Wow,so amazed to find this forum.I am a 45 year old male and I have been suffering with the very symptoms mentioned above for over a year now. After 4-6 hours sleep I wake with severe pain in my lower left flank,this pain does not allow me to sit up .I roll out of bed and go and empty my bladder and the pain subsides,just standing eases the pain. After getting back into bed the pain tweaks every now and then and then dissipates.
I will read through the above scenarios and heed advice from those that know the discomfort and understand the frustration.
I am a 35 year old male.  I am experiencing similar problems and I am surprise to see so many people with this issue and some who have had it for many years!  I have had it for about a month and a half now and I can't take it anymore.  Mine is in my left kidney area and it is worse upon waking or after a few hours of sleep.  Sometimes it is so bad it wakes me up in the middle of the night.  As the day progress, the pain goes away.  But it leaves me with an uneasy feeling throughout the day because I don't know what is wrong with me and sometimes I get anxiety and panic attacks when I start to worry too much. Prior to this almost a year ago, I woke up one morning and I felt like I was going to faint and die.  I went to the doctor and did some tests including blood tests and everything turned out normal.  But I was still feeling sick - fatigue, weakness, indigestion, anxiety/panic attacks.  A friend recommended a nutritionist.  I went to see a nutritionist and she told me to cut out the gluten, gmo, sugar and go organic.  I did that for the most part and got better.  I do cheat once in a while.  It seemed every time I introduced gluten into my diet, I would get worse and every time I cut it out, I would get better.  Without any clinical testing I came to the conclusion that I was gluten intolerant.  I am now completely gluten free.  All was fine until a month and a half ago, this pain in my kidney appeared.  What is going on??  Other symptoms I have - difficulty breathing sometimes (especially if I am having an anxiety or panic attack), sometimes the pain is very sharp but it would come and go within a second, I always feel thirsty, frequent urination, my stool don't look normal most of the time (according to Bristol Stool Chart).  
Hello friends, I hope this helps.  I was on a mercury poisoning support group forum and there was a person that said he had that flank pain, he said it all went away when he had his dental amalgam/silver fillings removed and refilled with composite.  He had a test done to see if he had mercury or any other heavy metal poisoning.  Turned out he had high levels of mercury.  He also did chelation therapy after the fillings were removed which helped a lot with loads of other mercury poisoning symptoms.  So I'm not sure if this was the sole cause of his flank pain but it wouldn't hurt to get tested for heavy metal poisoning.  It's a very common problem due to amalgam fillings, the environment and eating tainted fish/meats.  
I too have this issue and am having all of my fillings removed in 2 months time, I will keep you posted on how my pain is after the fillings have been removed.
Wow, this topic is 7 years old, but I'm afraid that I now have to join the ranks.  It started 3 or 4 months ago and has been extremely frustrating.  I'm usually one who falls asleep very quickly, sleeps right through the night and wakes up about 7 hours later, having had a good night's sleep.  Now I'm afraid to go to bed and I'm not getting enough sleep.  That is really getting to me.

I have to steel myself for getting up in the morning.  I know it's going to hurt.  It leaves me almost in tears at the thought of having to move.  I just want to stay up all the time, because it doesn't bother me during the day-time.

I've had one doctor visit, where they did a urine and blood test.  I haven't had the results yet.  I've had kidney stones in the past, so I know that it feels like it's in that area.  But the pain feels like it's more at the surface.  By that, I mean that it seems to be above the ribs where the muscles and fibrous tissues are, rather than being deeper inside the abdomen.

I kept changing around my bed, which is only about a year old.  I added a latex pad, then a memory foam pad, and then a gel memory foam pad.  Then I started taking pads away, and then switching them around.  I realized that it's not the bed, so I might as well just use the configuration which is most comfortable for me.

I hate that I don't want to go to bed anymore, because sleep used to be so comforting.  It's not anymore.  My Dad has had surgeries for spinal stenosis and they have left him almost unable to walk, so I hope that never gets suggested for me.

I just don't get it.  It's only on my right side, but man, getting up in the mornings is an awful experience.  By the way, I'm 55 and I'm very overweight, but I've never had back troubles before.  But after reading these replies, it seems to happen to people of all weights and ages.  Why is it only on one side and why is it only when I'm sleeping?  It doesn't bother me once I've been up for a while, although if the doctor pokes in that area, it's really tender.

This is so frustrating.
After having read dbo9's suggestion/advise (Dec 16, 2011) to try magnesium, I did, and I've not experienced this terrible problem since.  Just to clarify, my pain was much like most here have described - with perhaps the most disturbing symptom being experiencing stabbing pain when simply taking a deep breath.

The 'flank pain' didn't occur every night, but since taking 315 mg. of magnesium citrate every day (be cautious with the citrate form of magnesium - too much can cause diarrhea), I've not had a single episode of the pain!

Some good info about magnesium supplements can be found at http://www.livescience.com/42972-magnesium-supplements-facts.html

OMG, I am sooo glad that I'm not just losing my mind. I have been experiencing this exact same pain for about a year now. I am a (almost) 37 year old female. I have been to gynecologist,  chiropractor,  neurologist,  AND urologist and had numerous test ran and always comes back normal. I have honestly thought I was alone in this. I have always thought it was kidney related because I have had multiple uti's in the past year also. However all my urology test show my kidneys are fine. But the pain in the mornings is horrible and not getting any better. I am not giving up on finding the cause of this because this pain to me is not normal. Good luck to everyone and I am praying we get an answer soon.  
I suffer from the same pain everyone else is talking about, it's been going on for 2 years, I wake up every 2-3 hours, and have to change positions , I like to sleep on my side, but I find that if I sleep on my back, I do get longer relief. Sometimes the pain radiates to my knees for some reason. I do have psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis, and take methotrexate, and I'm going to PT, but nothing seems to help the "sleeping pain", it all goes when I get up and move around. Had a saggy mattress, and thought that might be the problem, so I bought a rock hard mattress, still did not help. Wish I had a solution, I need a good nights sleep!
July 12, 2014
I, too, have had this aching pain in the right side, below my ribs, deep inside, above my hip bone for several long months now.  Like others here, the real hurting pain goes away fairly soon after I wake up, yet the deep pain stays, which I feel as I move around all day and night.  I roller (dance) skate twice during the week (the old-fashioned type with quad wheels and short skirts, not what the kids do today). The pain has not affected my skating, but this has been an awful feeling for too many months now, so I started searching to find some answers.
When I came across this site Tuesday evening (July 8, 2014), I read all the way up to into 2011, then skipped forward to 2014 to see if there has been any resolutions, to no real avail. Well, I took note, as did a few others, about the posts referencing “pooling” of the urine and others that referenced sleeping in positions which changed the position of their back.
As ajm3tmom, terram, steve713, all are referred the “pooling”, I decided to experiment with some sleep positions to see if these may help to relieve the pain. I read so many of you have spent lots of money with no results (and I’m working on research now for my doctorate, but in Information Systems), so I decided to research this pain topic and then try some experimenting with what has helped others here.

First I slept at an angle of about 45° Wed night, then about 22.5° Thurs and Fri (last night). The first night was hard to sleep as my sinuses kept dripping and choking me for quit awhile. I woke up in the morning NOT believing what I felt…NO PAIN getting out of bed. In bending and tilting, I could still feel the pain, just slightly, deep inside next to my spine. Awaking Friday, and today (Sat), ALL THE PAIN IS GONE!  What a pleasure to wake up and to work throughout the day with NO PAIN!  Every move I was making before I could feel that pain, now…NOTHING!
It’s a real pleasure to do dishes again even!
A POSSIBLE HELP....
So for those who would like to take part in an experiment, I took one queen-sized pillow placed vertically against the wall or headboard and bunched my sleeping pillow on top, thus I can sleep at a 22.5° position all night. This is not the most comfortable position to sleep at first, but I have gotten used to it.

For some interesting fact….I have known one person this has worked for already, but never gave it a thought until reading this site!   He is a 95 year-old friend of mine, of whom I roller skate with weekly!  Yes, he roller skates, walks 3-5 miles a day, wears NO hearing aid, and has 20/20 and 20/30 vision in each eye!  He’s BIG on vitamins and takes NO meds at all, not even an aspirin, got all his faculties about him, and is quite interesting to converse with about years past!  He has slept in a recliner for the past 7 years BECAUSE of POOLING. I explained what I tried from everyone’s comments here and he explained the same, i.e., when sleeping flat, the urine settles in the kidneys and he wakes up with back pain that goes away upon waking up and walking around. He had mentioned this previously, but I never gave a thought to this would be the case for the pain I was feeling.

So if anyone would like to try this sleeping method for some real research (either in a recliner or on pillows behind you in bed at about a 22° slope for 3 nights), if the results are posted here, we can see if WE can resolve this issue, since a LOT of doctors have not been able to stop the pain!

I will start a post here using arrows and if the next person with results after 3 days can COPY these arrows and postings, we can determine the outcome!  We have plenty of postings here, that if these folks participate, we can get some good research results!  I know this has certainly cured me, hopefully for good (I may try sleeping flat again to see if the pain returns, then try the slope-sleeping method to see if the pain is gone again!)

Hope this helps…. LA
----------------------------------
PICK ----ONE---- OF THE BELOW RESPONSES AND PASTE INTO A NEW MESSAGE, COPYING THE OTHER’S RESULTS.  (Put YOUR comments in a separate posting, please). Just copy ONE of the following.  I’ll start in a new message after this one!  If posted at a different length as shown below, the results may be counted easier.

SLOPE-SLEEPING METHOD -------------------- NO MORE PAIN
SLOPE-SLEEPING -------------------------------------------------------------------------didn’t work
SLOPE-SLEEPING METHOD -------- NO MORE PAIN
SLOPE-SLEEPING -----------------------------------------------didn’t work
Hi, I know its an old post but thought I'd comment because thats so similar to what I get.
Im a 26y/old man and had these pains ..i'd say over 8years.
Exactly as you describe except not as excruciating ,i.e pain worsens with a deep breath, goes away after getting up etc.
Dr was of no great help. I'll try what these comments suggest, about the psoas stretch and monitoring wheat affect on the pain
Hope you get a solution to your pain
I had this pain for a week or so.  I read this blog.   I was eating poorly for a week or so but also eating a lot of fruit.   I stopped fruit for a few days, eat a bland diet and it went away.   May also be a problem with constipation.  So, I suggest diet may be triggering the problem.  Good luck.

I had been having this pain for about a month- every morning.  I tried the slope sleeping method the past 2 nights (about 20 degree angle) and it worked perfectly- no pain at all for the past 2 mornings.  It's hard to argue against those results.  Also, I should mention that I did cut soft drinks out of my diet the past 2 days as well, since I have a feeling that sweeteners can cause the kidney pooling for some reason.  And according to other past posts here dating back years, not only sweeteners but also fruit and certain vitamins.  Perhaps the pooling is a kidney malfunction that is actually some sort of an allergic reaction, with the reaction being triggered by various causes in different cases.  In some it is sweeteners, others vitamins, fruit, wheat, stress- whatever.  

The slope sleeping clearly prevents the pooling because it allows gravity to work, whereas sleeping flat prevents this from happening.  The more pressing question, for those of us who don't want to slope sleep for the rest of our lives is this:  figuring out WHAT exact allergens are causing the problem in our cases.  I'm going to slope sleep for a few more nights and stay off Pepsi- then go back to sleeping flat to see what happens.  

I just ran across this whole thread, this is quite interesting as well as helpful.  The week prior to my night flank pain,  I had nausea in the morning, (no, not pregnant). Then the flank pain started. (female over 40) I drink about 5-6 bottles of water a day and a walk about 3 miles on the treadmill 4x a week. My artificial sugar was the flavored coffee creamers. Drank it allot if my coffee. I have stopped the flavor coffee creamer and had pain but not even close to what it was the nights prior. I have tried the stretching and propping the pillows to elevate me.  I will see how this goes, I can not believe artificial sugar can do all this. Our bodies are amazing.  I will post in a few more days of this progress. I am looking forward to a good  night pain free.  You all have helped with every suggestion.
I'm a 39 yr old female who had this same type of pain for over a year. Bad kidney/back pain at night and upon waking...urinating and walking around would eleviate it. I finally found this forum and decided to try cutting out Splenda from my diet. (I drink 3-4 glasses of iced tea sweetened w Splenda a day.) After two days the pain was better. After 4 days the pain was nearly gone. Now, I still have some pain now and then, but the severe pain is completely gone!

Amazing. I am so grateful that this forum exists. Without it I would still be in horrible pain.
Viewing 201-207 comments: