Urology Community
Foamy Urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Foamy Urine

I have been having really foamy urine for a while and am worried about it.  I am a 22 yr old man, somewhat over wieght.  5' 10"  200 lbs.  The urine foams up alot on the water surface, and this has never happened to me my entire life, so I know it is not normal.  I am use to seeing bubbles come and pop quickle, but sometime the whole surface is covered in foam and bubbles and it stays for a long time.  I have been to the urologist and had urinalysis which came back normal.  He said it is normal to have alot of bubbles in the toilet for a boy, but I do not thinks he understands.  Because I know this is not normal for me.  Is there some other test I should get?  I would like to see this resolved if possible.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

"Foamy urine is likely nothing to worry about if it happens only occasionally and isn't getting progressively more noticeable. It may just mean that you urinated rapidly, maybe with more concentrated urine — such as due to mild dehydration. You could drink more water to see if it goes away.

However, persistently foamy urine can be a sign of protein in your urine (proteinuria), which requires further evaluation. Large amounts of protein in urine may indicate a serious kidney problem.

If you're concerned about foamy urine, consult your doctor. He or she may recommend a urine analysis, which can detect protein in urine. If protein is detected in your urine, your doctor likely will recommend additional tests to determine the cause."

www.mayoclinic.com/health/foamy-urine/AN01702

Have you noticed whether there has been a change in the disinfectant used in the flush since the time you started noticing the foamy urine?

Was there any protein detected on your urinalysis?
Have you noticed any change in urine color?
Do you have any other symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness, etc.?

You can do the following and check whether there are any changes:

Drink fluids in excess of 2000 ml per day.
Add vitamin C-rich juices or foods to your diet.
Avoid alcohol and caffeine.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards
No protein in the urinalysis, no change in color.  And it happens wherever I have to go to the bathroom, it is not just at my own bathroom.  No other symptoms, exept some discomfort in bladder area, and feeling like I have to go more than usual.