Urology Community
Frenulum Swollen and red

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Frenulum Swollen and red

Hi I'm a 19 year old male and starting this Monday my frenulum began to swell and get reddened.

I haven't gone to doctors yet out of shyness because i've never gone to see an urology doctor yet.

I thought the inflammation was just because of strong grip on masturbation but

the inflammation still hasn;t gone away after almost a week.

So my question is if it is neither infection nor just irritation what else could it be?

Also, I'd like to think this is not an infection but if it is, how could i have gotten it because i never had piercing or any

stuff like that. And what are the treatments for infection?

Lastly, if it is just irritation is it normal for it to take several weeks to heal? how long does it usually take for pain to go away?

Thank you very much,

your answers are deeply appreciated
Avatar_dr_m_tn
From the symptoms it looks like chaffing or friction rub during masturbation. Chafing occurs when the skin becomes irritated by the friction caused by rubbing – either against other skin or against a foreign material. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Also wear cotton undergarments. Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful.If the symptoms are severe then it will be best to consult a doctor. Genital fungal infections have to be ruled out.

Hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I've been washing it frequently but pain bercomes pretty severe and lasts for hours after contact with water so I've been quit cleaning it for few days.

When you say "Genital fungal infections have to be ruled out" Do you mean that it has been ruled out or i need to make sure it does? I hope it's first. I did notice a cut on the frenulum, and I looked it up and found that it is usually not a serious issue. It is kind of weird that there was no bleeding though. However, I'm just worried about the inflamation (inflammation) because the cut might be the source of the infection that creates inflammation.

If the simptoms don't make any progress by Friday, I will try contacting doctors.
If you have any other information regarding cut & swell, it is very much appreciated.

Also, it has been more than week since the first sign of this problem (cut and swelling) but the swelling has not been subsided. Although, thankfully, it has not gone worse. I read several times that it should be subsided in few days to 2-weeks. So It worries me a little that entire week has not made much progress on the swelling.

Thank you very much
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Genital fungal infections are yet to be ruled out in your case. In this skin scrapings are taken and KOH examination and fungal culture is done. If the above stated treatment does not benefit then fungal infections have to be ruled out.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.