Urology Community
Frequent urge to urinate.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Frequent urge to urinate.

Hi, I am a 27 year old male. For 1 week now I have had a very strong urge to urinate frequently.

My symptoms include:

- Pressure in the bladder
- Urge to urinate more at night.
- In the morning (before 12pm) I have almost no symptoms (a little discomfort but I don't really have to urinate)
- My urges get much worse after work and at night. I have to urinate almost constantly but not much urine comes out.
- During the day I can hold much more urine and urinate large amounts (if I drink a lot)
- At night if I drink a lot I have to urinate more frequently but in smaller amounts.
- It seems like my bladder shrinks throughout the day.
- When I wake up in the morning I feel much better. I urinate once and the urge is not that strong.
- There is no burning or pain when I urinate but I feel like there is a more tingly sensation in my urethra in my penis lately.
- When I drink a lot I can't go more than 2 hours without getting a very strong urge to urinate.
- Urinating large amounts usually makes me feel better and last longer between urges.
- Ever since this started I have felt much more tired in the afternoon and night when I get home from work.
- If I can get to sleep at night I can sleep through the night and I feel much better in the morning.

Things I have tried:

- Drinking lots of water. (when I urinate large amounts I feel better for longer)
- Taking cranberry pills. (Didn't seem to help)
- Taking vitamins. (Didn't seem to help)
- Exercising a bit more (Didn't seem to help and is hard when I am so tired at night)

I went to the doctors and have taken a blood test and urine test. The initial urine test was negative for anything (this test was done in the office, it was a simple strip test and not a culture) 3 days ago I had blood taken from me and am going to have a culture done on a urine sample. They are supposed to call me IF and only IF they find something...

I am pretty worried about this as I have never experienced anything like this before... do any of my symptoms sound serious?

Thank you for your time.
I would also like to mention that when I have a large urge to urinate (after drinking lots of water) I do pee a good amount (not SUPER large). When I press down on my bladder I get a much stronger urge to urinate which makes me think my bladder is swollen. It also feels like the amount of urine I can hold has been reduced...
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Without examination confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but urge of frequent urination can be due to increased intake of fluids or diabetes mellitus.Other possibilities are glomerulonephritis, pyelonephritis(inflammation of the kidneys),urinary tract infection,hypercalcemia,hypokalemia(low potassium),hyperthyroidism,hyperparathyroidism,diuretic drugs and benign hyperplasia of the prostate(in elderly males).

In my opinion, investigations like kidney functions, blood sugar levels, ultrasound lower abdomen(already ruled out kidney causes) ,intravenous pyelography ,prostate specific antigen blood test,thyroid function tests and cystoscopy may be needed to confirm a diagnosis.I sincerely advise you to consult a urologist or nephrologist and get yourself evaluated so that a confirmatory diagnosis can be made.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.Kind regards.