Urology Community
Frequent urinating combined with herniated disc.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Last year I suffered a herniated, compacted disc and a couple of weeks ago the disc slipped again. I now have the urge to urinate every two hours or so even though I haven't had much fluid intake. Could this be a result of the disc maybe putting pressure on my bladder or could it be  from the strain on my body when I move around? I'm also taking  Omeprazole and I have heard frequent urinating could be a rare side effect of that tablet. Can anyone help pease?
its very possable your herniated discs are causing urinary urgency i have had this problem for almost 3 years and been to dozens of specialist only to find 2 herniated discs l4/l5 l5/s1 im very confident this is the cause of my problem iam also suffering erectyle dysfunction
Avatar dr m tn
Herniated discs are one of the causes of polyuria because of pressure and damage to the nerves causing improper bladder control. Also other possibilities need to be ruled out. The primary cause which needs to be excluded is diabetes. I would advise you to get a fasting blood sugar and Hb A1 C test done.

If diabetes is ruled out then other possibilities which need to be ruled out are prostatitis(inflammation of the prostate gland),interstitial cystitis,overactive bladder syndrome,stroke and other neurological diseases,urinary incontinence, bladder cancer(rare) and bladder dysfunction .

I sincerely hope it helps. Take care and regards.
Thank you both for your info and advice. I do feel my problem is somehow connected to my herniated disc as it started around the same time. However, I will go to my doctors  and have the diabetes test.

You have had the problem for three years Jason? I do hope you eventually  get some relief. Disc pain alone is so exhausting.
Hi, I have also been suffering from Herinated Disc (L4,5 and S1) along with Pain Urinating (and very slow flow) leading to Frequent Urination for the past 2 years at least. All the doctors that I have seen (urologists, neurologists and general physicians) all seem clueless since I have also had Chronic pain in the Ischial Tuberosis (literally, pain in the butt) accompanied off and on, with pain in my Heels. Doctors think I am a hypochondriac with all these symptoms but I know that aches the started literally a couple of weeks after I first came down with an Acute urinary tract infection and have continued ever since along with my Urinary symptoms. Btw, I am a 40 year old male. Would much appreciate if the original posters or anyone else could suggest any solutions.
I have a herniated disc in the l5-s1 area and have had urinary pain/ urgency/ retention for the past 2 1/2 years. I've had everything from antibiotics for prostatitis, IC, and even yeast but with no positive outcome. The pressure has never left, and hip/ lower back pain is also a symptom I am on now. Sadly the only thing that has helped is months and months of pain medication, which is not good for a 28 year old. Anyhow the only option left is a back surgery, which I am having in the beginning of May, I'm hoping it helps. They are doing a decompression and putting in a cage to keep my back from slipping again. Has anyone else been through this that could offer some hope. I'm scared I'll wake up from surgery and still have the urinary pressure 24/7. But honestly a part of me will be relieved that I could cross it off the list of possible things that are ruining my life. My email is farley_ts***@****
I have a bulging disk along with a constant urge to urinate and my urologist, after a battery of test, scopes and treatments believes it is back related.  Unfortunately he had no suggestions for relief other than finding a good spinal surgeon.  Haven't done that yet.