Urology Community
Fungal urethritis? UTI? Bacterial?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Fungal urethritis? UTI? Bacterial?

I am a 23 year old male.
For the past 3 months I have been experiencing discharge and pain in my left testicle and at the base of the penis.
It started following a sexual encounter, where I received unprotected oral sex and had protected vaginal sex.
I went to the GUM clinic, where I was told I have pus cells in the penis, and diagnosed with NGU. I tested negative for everything (chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis.) During these visits I have been given doses of azithromycin (twice), doxycycline and metronidazole.
However, when I was back at home during the Xmas break, I tested positively for thrush (I have also been experiencing balanitis, although that seems to have cleared up after using canesten.) I went back to the GUM clinic, where I was told they cannot test me for fungal infections, or any further bacterial infections, and that I will have to go to see a urologist or family doctor for further advice. He also told me that it is very unlikely that my symptoms are caused by a fungal infection, and that it is more likely to be bacterial.

So here are my symptoms;
- clear discharge that is occasionally very watery, but mostly thick and viscous
- mild pain that seems to migrate from the left testicle to the base of the penis on my left hand side (in the pubic region, rather than on the penis itself) (i.e. I either have pain in the testicle or the base of the penis, rarely both)
- the pain in the testicle is more of like a burning sensation than actual pain, at the base of the penis it is more painful, and also itchy.  It seems to be aggravated by touching or scratching.
- I also have occasional pain in the penis itself, which is a sharp pain toward the head of the penis, although I don't get this pain often, and it will go away after 10 seconds or so)
- I also occasionally have a burning sensation that seems to go in a straight line up from my left testicle and stops at around my navel.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks