Urology Community
Gonorrhea - No cure despite max. medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Dear MedHelp Team,

I had an exposure about 10 weeks ago in East Malaysia. 2 days after the exposure I suffered from symptoms such as whitish (later clear) urethral discharge (especially in the morning), dysuria, urethritis. I had a gram stain done and was diagnosed with some kind of gonococcal infection (the urologist was talking something about deformed cells). After that I have been treated with all sorts of antibiotics (oral, intermuscular, intravenous), 8 treatments in total. Today I called the urologist and told him that the symptoms are still there. His reply was "Leave it alone then. It will go away". He said it would not be an option grow a culture since I was already given all available medication, maximum dose.

My question are:

1. Will gonorrhea go away alone (after reading about chronic infections I am not too sure about his statement)
2. If yes, how long could this take (no need to mention that the infection is restricing my sexual life dramatically)
3. I am aware that especially South East Asia has a reputation for drug resistant gonorrhea strings. But can it really be resistent to ALL existing drugs?

I would really appreciate your help since this thing is starting to make me go crazy...
What medications were you given?  Was ceftriaxone or rocephin on the list?

If its been more than 2 weeks since you've had any meds, they can culture your discharge.

Aj
Yes. I have the treatment history here. Unfortunately it is written by hand (and VERY hard to read) but it says something like:

18/10/08 IM Gentamicin, Zithromax 1g
31/10/08 Ceftriaxone 1g, Metronidazole, Doxycycline (oral) followed by Fluconazole
18/11/08  IV Ceftriaxone 2g
12/12/08 IM Kanamycin

Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, you will probably have to wait at least a week, preferably 2, to get tested again to see if its gone.

If you've had it this long, you might have residual symptoms for some time.  I'm sure there is some inflammation going on.

Aj
Ok, I will be patient then and get tested again after Christmas.

I still feel something is active. Question is of course whether it is still gonorrhea an NGU.

Again, if it's still there and I have been given all medication available, will I have to live with gonorrhea until the end of my life (assuming no new effective antibiotics are introduced) or will it eventually go away all by itself?
It should go away, if you can figure out what it is, and get it treated right.

I'd also suggest getting a prostate exam to make sure that's not inflamed.

Aj
Have seen a (different) urologist last week since my symptoms still persisted. He had a look at the medication I was given so far and confirmed that it was very extensive and that it was very unlikely that I was still suffering from gonorrhea or clamydia (chlamydia).

Anyhow he did a prostate massage and cultured the pus from my urethra. He also gave me a swab which I returned the next day (I was to culture the discharge I am having every morning).

Yesterday the results came: Both samples were negative, no gonorrhea, no clamydia (chlamydia).

I am confused now since I am still having the clear and sticky discharge, irritations of the tip of the urethra, difficulties and a burning sensation while urinating (since 13 weeks now!).

I also noticed some mucous residual on the toilet paper coming from my stool.

So, what now? Are the tests 100% accurate and I have nothing to worry about? Am unsure as to whether I could potentially have unprotected sex without putting the other party at risk. And...will the symptoms ever go away?

Thanks again for your help.

Since all your STD tests are negative, this is now a urological problem.  I wish you the very best, but its not something we can help with now.

When you talk to the doctor, make sure you understand everything he is saying, and find out what he thought about the size of your prostate.

Aj
i have gonorrhia  for 1week now,,,, am taking medicine for 5days....  am afraid!!!