Urology Expert Forum
Groin discomfort- heaviness in testical

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Groin discomfort- heaviness in testical

I am a 35 yo caucasian male.

For the last three weeks I have had this feeling of "heaviness" in my right testical and a sense of the groin "being stretched".  It feels as if my right testical is being pulled with pressure noticable in the groin.  I have examined myself and I have not noticed any lumps ,and the testical appears to be normally positioned.

I have seen a doctor and she prescribed doxycycline on the prospect that this as an infection.  After more than a week on doxycycline I have had no improvement.  I have commenced a repeat prescription.

The sensation while not actually painful is incredibly disconcerting.  I have found extreme difficulty in going to sleep and have resorted to "drinking" myself into bed.  I asked the doctor for a sleep inducer but this was refused.  I have read the information on testicular torsion and I don't have the extreme pain associated with this condition. Nor have the antibiotics affected this sensation at all.

I am scheduled for an ultrasound tomorrow.

Real pain would be far less difficult to deal with.  Any suggestions on what this could be and how I should approach it would be very welcome.  I have also developed very painful jaws and i suspect I am grinding my teeth in my sleep due to this condition.  I have to end this discomfort!

-Lucien

Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Please understand my limitations over the internet as I have neither met nor examined you. This information is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation.

There are several reasons for groin pain.

Causes can include a kidney stone, a ureteral stone, inguinal hernia, epididymitis, prostatitis, urethritis, or various forms of testicular torsion.  

You mentioned testicular torsion.  The onset of pain is usually sudden, and often occurs several hours after vigorous physical activity or minor testicular trauma. There may be associated nausea and vomiting.

There is also possibility of torsion of the appendix testis.  This can then produce testicular pain that ranges from mild to severe. Its onset is usually more gradual than with testicular torsion; it is not uncommon for patients to have several days of scrotal discomfort from appendiceal torsion before they present for evaluation.

I would obtain a urinalysis to evaluate for any blood or infection (for possible kidney stones or urethritis/prostatitis/epididymitis).  Tests for STDs (chlamydia and gonorrhea) should be performed.  A scrotal ultrasound is a reasonable diagnostic step.  If all tests are negative, you may want to be evaluated by a surgeon for a possible inguinal hernia.  Tests for a kidney or ureteral stone (either ultrasound or CT scan) may also be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
0
0