Gross Hematuria After Stent Placement
Hello doctor (and all),

I had surgery yesterday to remove a 6.3mm stone with ureteroscopy and laser litho.  My surgeon inserted a stent to keep the ureter open and for drainage.  I had very little hematuria yesterday.  Today, I notice that everytime I urinate, I have massive amount of blood in my urine - it looks a heavy as a menstrual period!  I called my surgeon's office but they are closed for lunch, so I left a message, but was wondering if this level of bleeding is normal post-operatively.

Thank you for any advice that you can give!

There is some bleeding expected after the surgery, almost half of patients may present with this symptom. It is very difficult to quantify what actually constitutes a normal amount of blood loss, as different people may report differently.

Are you taking any other medications? Some common medications may be given for pain may worsen bleeding.

If the bleeding seems to be progressively bloodier, then this would raise some alarms. A visit to your doctor or to the ER may be warranted.

Stay positive.