Urology Expert Forum
Growth of fatty tissue at base of penis comes and goes

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Well, I am somewhat traumatized by what I discovered on my penis several days ago--a ring of fat at the base of my penis. The ring exists on the top half only and now extends one inch from the base. It is soft and rubbery. It also dissappears and returns. Last night I went out and drank with a bunch of friends. As the night progressed, I noticed when I went to the bathroom that the fatty tissue started to disappear. Eventually it was gone. I went to bed at 4am and and woke up at 12. It was gone throughout the day and returned at about 9:30pm, covering a little more of the shaft. Now I am writing and I have had 3 beers and it seems to be receeding. Could this be related to alcohol? Tomorrow, I am sure it will return and I will not drink to see what happens. Also, I have no problems getting an erection and I don't have any sexual dysfunction. I am also a fairly well controlled type 1 diabetic. I should also add the the progression of this fatty tissue is pretty quick. Three days ago it was hardly noticeable and it has disappeared each morning and returned each night, progressing down the shaft. Both the disapearing cycle and the return cycle seem to take only between 1 and 2 hours. There is no pain, except for the psychological aspect because I don't want to have a deformed penis! Please help! I've scoured the internet and found nothing that fits my condition.
Tough to say without seeing the lesion.  That being said, I cannot think of a disease that can cause such a rapid cycling of penile fatty tissue.  You can consider things like Peyronie's disease, which is a formation of a hardened plaque of the penis.  This can sometimes cause a deformity of the penis - but is not typically associated with such rapid cycling of coming and going.  I am also not familiar with this type of symptom in relation to alcohol.  

I would have a urologist and/or a dermatology opinion as further evaluation.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b