Urology Expert Forum
Hard Painless Nodule on Left Testicle
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hard Painless Nodule on Left Testicle

Posted by Curt on May 19, 1999 at 16:40:44
Seven years ago, at age 29, I noticed a hard painless nodule 2-3MM in size on the outer side of my left testicle.  Fortunately, I was already into self examination. I rushed to a urologist, who after a simple physical exam, told me it was just a spermatocele.  Over the years it has remained basically unchanged. My concern is that everything I have read today on your sight about spermatoceles, hydroceles, etc., make it sound like such swellings are usually associated with other structures of the scrotum, but not directly "attached" to a testicle.  This nodule is basically "protruding" from my testicle.  After seven years, I'd like to think it could not possibly be cancer, but do you think I should again get this checked out and insist on some testing?
Thanks for your time.

Posted by HFHS M.D.-CK on May 22, 1999 at 22:57:14

Dear Curt,
The scrotum is the skin and muscular sac that surrounds the testicles, epidydimus, testicular arteries and veins, and any hydrocele fluid.  The epididymus is attached to the testicle.  An epididymal cyst, because of its origin off the epididymus, may feel like it protrudes from the testicle.  
If your physician is comfortable with the physical examination and you are asymptomatic nothing further needs to be done.  If your physician can not delineate the anatomy on physical examination, or if you find a new testicular mass on self examination, the scrotal ultrasound would be warranted.
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available through our department at the Henry Ford Hospital  and its suburban locations (I-800-653-6568).
Sincerely;
HFHS M.D.-CK
*Keyword: testicular cancer, scrotal anatomy