Urology Expert Forum
Hard lump after vasectomy

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hard lump after vasectomy

Hello, I had a vasectomy 8 days ago.  I am pretty much back to normal except that I have a large hard lump over my right testicle.  It kind feels like the vas deferens may be swollen on that side.  I have three questions.  First, when the vas deferense is cut and cauterized, are both the sides of the separation cauterized?  Second, is it possible that the vas deferense below the separation has become clogged and that is causing the swolling?  Lastly, is this something I should visit the doctor about?

Thank you,
John
To answer your questions:
1) It would depend if the vasectomy was open or closed.  The surgeon may choose to close off either one (called an open-ended procedure) or two ends (closed-ended) of the vas. In the open-ended procedure, the vas section connected to the testis is left open and the one leading to the prostate is sealed; in the closed-end both are sealed.

2) It may be possible for the scenario you describe to happen.  Other potential causes would be infection, bleeding, or thrombosis.

3) I would certainly discuss these findings with your urologist to ensure they are not complications of the procedure.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b

**Note: I'll be away until August 14th - The forums will re-open then**
A related discussion, vesectomy (vasectomy) was started.