Urology Community
Having trouble getting an erection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Having trouble getting an erection

Hi, I am a healthy 22 year old, 5"10 175 lbs and I have been having sex since I was about 17 years old. I haven't been getting morning erections for about 10 months now and haven't really thought too much about until a week or two ago. The last 2 times I have had sex, I was either unable to get an erection and/or keep an erection for more than a minute or 2, which was very very embarrasing. I am really worried about this problem and I am also embarrassed about mentioning this problem to my doctor, which I may not even have to do. Also my libido is lower than normal. I do try to masturbate at least 3 times a week or so and I do not have a problem getting erect and ejaculating. I also in fact do not get as hard as much as I used to. I used to be very sensitive when it came to getting an erection. For example, I would be cuddling with my girlfriend and I would get one, or I would just randomly get an erection in the middle of the day for no reason. None of this happens anymore, I am starting to get really really worried about all of this.

Do you have any advice for me regarding these problems, I am looking for anything to help all of this and to get back to the way I was before.
      Thanks for writing in. There are both physical and emotional causes implicated in erectile dysfunction. But it is important to confirm whether it is erectile dysfunction or not and that can be done by a specialist with examination, history and investigations. Common casuative factors include anxiety, stress, depression, excess fatigue or dissatisfaction with the relationship with the partner.

Physical causes can include any disorder that prevents the nervous system or vascular system from responding appropriately to arousal. They are diabetes, multiple sclerosis or surgery. Vascular problems can be caused by medications, diabetes, high blood pressure, and atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). Hormonal problems, kidney disease, liver disease, excessive alcohol ingestion, and infections can also cause ED.
Consult a specialist for further assistance.
Best
Since you state that you can get an erection while masterbating (masturbating) the problem is not mechanical but psychological.

It could be that you need more figerous stimulation or it could be the wory of not performing. A urologist would be able to help and determine the cause of your problems.

If there would be a chance that the problem is mechanical than there is treatment for that as well.

God Bless

Ron