Urology Community
Hematuria with clean cystoscopy/renal ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I'm a 37-year old male and have had about 10-plus years of plumbing issues. I've had 2 kidney stones, both of which passed on their own. A couple years ago I went to the hospital with gross hematuria, they diagnosed me with prostatitis - sent me home with some antibiotics and it cleared right up. Since then I've had a couple cases of pain-free gross and microscopic hematuria. My primary care doc suspected it was hereditary with no real serious cause, but I went in for a cystoscopy and renal ultrasound this week and everything was clean. My urologist says it's not clear (no pun intended) what the cause is, but there's no sign of disease. My primary care said as long as the cystoscopy and renal ultrasound were clean, I'm in the clear and it's something I just manage and put up with. Is this sufficient?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Microscopic hematuria can be due to urinary tract (bladder) infection, swelling in the filtering system of the kidneys , stone in bladder or in a kidney, blood disease, like sickle cell anemia, certain medicines and tumors in the urinary tract.
You have got ultrasound and cystocopy all clear. Get your renal function tests and blood tests for sickle cell anemia also done.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.