Urology Expert Forum
Hernia Repaired Twice

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hernia Repaired Twice

Dear Doctor:

I'm a 28 year old male. I was operated on for an inguinal hernia repair, left side, in 1994. Shortly after my surgery, I developed an infection in the wound. There was a big pimple like thing that had to be cut with a scissor and then pus had to be squeezed out of the wound. The doctors said there was nothing further to worry about.

Over the years my complains didn't go away. In year 2004 another surgeon determined that I had to go in for a second round surgery in the same spot. This time around a mesh was inserted.

After so many years, the following are my complains:

1. From time to time, I still feel pain in my left side. It is more discomforting than anything else. At times, it seems like there is a pattern to it such as days I stand for long durations; have high levels of stress; eat way too much etc. Other days, it seems like there's no pattern to the pain at all. Sometimes weeks go by and there is no sign of anything.

2. It seems that there is a strange link between my left testicle with the area, and around the area, of my hernia repair incision. This link starts from the back side of my testicle. From the research I've done, it seems that the Vas deferens or spermatic cord have a discomforting link with the area around the hernia repair wound. This is not painful but it is discomforting to say the least. It is intensified sometimes during ejaculation and this has become more prominent over the years, relative to the earlier post surgery years. Sometimes, when I wear loose clothing and sit myself down on a chair, the left testicle comes in contact with the seating surface first and the uncomfortable sensation/link is felt. Other days, like today, when I've had to sit in class for over 6 hours, I feel it bugging me more than usual.

As for the Hernia pains, a local Urologist and my GP have both tested for a bulge with the cough method and they don't feel any abnormalities. Not sure if I should leave this alone or take action.

I'm 45 andI just discovered today that the hernia repair that I had in 2006 has let go. They used mesh to repair it. After the surgery it seems like my right testicle seems to fixed in place and no longer can move freely. I'm aspecialy worried as I lost my left testicle in 2000 as the result of a staph infection.

I currently have been noticing a burning stabbing pain in the right groin and there is a bit of a bump there that was not there yesterday.

I also am looking for answers. I need surgery to fix a fistula in the prostate and hope that it will not effect the hernia in a bad way. I don't know what needs to be done first.

If I were you I would leave the testicle as it is, when I had my surgery on the left, it fixed my testicle in the scrotum which caused major discomfort. The staph infection came later and was the need for the left orchiectomy. I really don't want to loose my remaining testicle.

I hope that some one can provide some answers. As I said I just noticed the bulge today.

All the best.

Ron
Hello Ron, and thank you for your insight and advice. Thank you also for sharing your experience with me. I am sorry to hear of your loss and sincerely hope that there is no further bad news. It seems you are a strong man and have the will to maintain a positive attitude. This is a great quality. I pay a lot for insurance, out of pocket, but I have felt that since it is a PPO, doctors tend to rush me. They don't take their time to listen. That's how in the first place I ended up with 2 Hernia surgeries instead of 1. Anyhow, from my predicament, do you think I should see a Urologist? Also, should I be expecting a response from the doctor on this forum? I have not used this website much and am not sure of what is to come next.
Most of the time doctors in this forum will comment on cases.

Since you have to pay for each visit, I don't know if you will benefit from consulting with a urologist. The urologist in my case told me that there was no garrantee that I would no loose the testicle in surgery to try and free it up.

I know how uncomfortable it can be to have the testicle fixed in the scrotum. When surgery is performed they open the (tunica) tissue around the testicle. It is then stitched causing the testicle to be fixed. No urologist can predict a head of time if the testicle can be freed.

When I will have surgery to get the hernia repaired I will put a condition in to leave the testicle at all cost. I already take testosterone injections to boost my levels. Side efects can be muscle and bone density waisting.
I will put up with the discomefort of the right testicle being fixed in place, I will not risk surgery and the loss of the testicle, unless it would be a live and death situation.

Ask a doctor here to give their opinion, it may take some time but they will respond.

All the best.

Ron
Hi everyone,
My son has Hep C and much liver damage.  He also has a hernia.  He went to see a surgeon and he refused to work on it due to the fact of heavy bleeding and infection.  Any suggestions?