Urology Expert Forum
Hidden Penis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hidden Penis
My son was born with a hidden penis condition. He was operated on when he was one year old, to take some of the excess fat around the penis and reshape the skin.

He is now 6 years old and his penis is still a little small, but the bigger problem I see is that his foreskin seems not to retract enough to uncover the head of the penis (it's too small).

I've been to a couple of urologists and they have not found it to be too much of a problem, but he is growing now, and I'm affraid he will start to become more concious of his penis. I want him to have a happy and worry free sex life when he grows up.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I see another doctor to see if they can circumcise him, or is there another way to get the foreskin to slide better?
2) What is the best way to approach the questions he will have soon?
Thank you for your help!
To answer your questions:
1) If there is a structural problem, you can see another urologist - preferably at a major academic medical center.  However, if the initial evaluation is negative, a procedure may not be needed.  If there is a structural abnormality, surgery can be considered.

2) Without evaluation, I can't answer that question.  I would discuss this issue with a pediatric urologist.  Another opinion can be sought at a academic medical center, where more uncommon conditions are seen.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, Buried Penis was started.