Urology Community
Holding urine too long

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Holding urine too long

I am a 23 year old female.  I have a habit to hold my urine for a long period of time (mainly at work because I dont like to  break from a task before finishing).  I do this al most everyday for months now.  I have noticed that if and when I hold my urine for too long, I'll get these extremely painful cramps that make me curl up.  

When I do finally go, the urine freely flows.  I get the urge to urinate rather frequently (at least once every two hours).  

One time of holding for such a long period, it took a moment for the urine to actually flow.

Is this damaging?  Am I setting myself up for more problems or risks?
Please Help!

I'm not a dr. but I know that the longer you hold your urine the higher risk you are for UTI's to develope because urine held for long periods of time gives bacteria a nice place to thrive.Do you drink alot of fluids during the day?If so maybe try cutting back a little,but not to the point of dehydration of course.
That can cause kidney problems/infections. You can also have incontinence problems when you are older.  You should got when you need to with out holding.
I  have a job with limited time, but i am a person who doesnt need to drink much and so i dont need to use the bathroom too often. i dont stop myself from drinking, i just dont feel the need to.

but as you all have probably experienced, when you go out with friends and have a few beers, you need to use the bathroom more often,that is  the time i usually hold it for a long time, i guess this happens max. ONCE A WEEK. every now and then anyone can get extremely desperate on the way home after a night out drininkg. can that be harmfulI?? if its not somethin being done every day?

I can understand the bacteria problem, but that would be something that could, if needed, be cured. Unless very unlucky.

but why can it damage your body/kidney etc.. ? Doesn't the human body have a protective "reaction" or something, that would force him to empty the bladder/relax muscles before it becomes a danger?

thanks!
hold urine always good for health because it cause not urinary tract infections and removed bad waste products from body because use toilet always bad for health because it cause urinary tract infections and not removed bad waste products from body each day and night.
Needing to urinate every 2 hours is unusual.  I'm alarmed at the statement that you are having difficulty voiding.   It is important to speak to a urologist and make sure this is not a sign of a serious problem.    Check out  https://www.cornellurology.com/clinical-conditions/female-urology-urogynecology/female-voiding-dysfunction/

for some background.   Good luck and for what its worth I know how difficult it is to break off an interesting project.