How Long Does Epididymitis Take To Go Away?
I got diagnosed with epididymitis a week ago and the pain has just now began to leave. Is this common and how long does it normally take for the pain to go completely away along with the swelling? My scrotum hasn't swollen and i've had a ultrasound, blood test, and urine sample and all came back negitive for cancer or a tumor. I'm really frightened about it and hope that this is just epididymitis. Also, the epididymitis came after working out and I also have pain in my tighs, is it possible that i pulled my groin and also have epididymitis?
People react differently to NSAID, some can take it for months and then there's people like me with a sensitive stomach that can only endure a few weeks.

Only way for me to treat it now is bed rest really. Took all kind of tests for infections and since there hasn't been any trace of any my GP pulled me off antibiotics, which is logical since there's no point in taking it if there's no bacterial infection. Even if there was, 3 weeks should be enough to kill it. Stomach has been much better since I stopped taking NSAID.

With that said, this past week the pain has receded some. Feels like the swelling has gone down a bit too. Might be imagining it, but switching to briefs from boxers really helped with the healing. On week 4 now.
I'm glad yours is getting better. Mine seems to be staying the same. Made worse by sitting down for long periods of time (10 hours a day in work) and long journeys. Have you made any other changes. Diet changes?
Besides bed rest only slight diet changes to not upset my stomach. No spicy foods and stuff like that. Also cut down on sugar and sweets entirely. Don't know if any of that has to do with me getting slightly better, but bed rest is probably the one doing the trick since I feel better during the mornings and a bit worse as the day progresses. Took some weeks off of work to battle this since my work involves some manual labour.

How long have you had this?
I've had it for 4 weeks aswell. I would have to agree about the bed rest. The mornings are the best part of my day. I think in another 4 weeks I'll probably be fine. Its the impatience and worry of it not improving that makes this tough.  What about alcohol and sex? I've stopped having sex but still drink on occasions. The alcohol made it worse a few weeks ago. But I haven't seen much difference recently if I have a few beers. I am however now going to cut back on it,sweets and spicy food. Going to do two more weeks of anti inflammatory with those changes and see where I'm up to. Fingers crossed.
Looking at the dates I think out conditions startered around the same time. And I have felt slightly better today. My doctor said it could take up to 2 months. So probably just need to hang on in there for a few more weeks. Stay strong.
No alcohol for me until this thing is 100% healed. Don't wanna jeopardize  anything. I tried alcohol after the first week and it only got worse so I won't try it again it's not worth it. As for sex, making due only with masturbation during this period. I'm staying away from all physical activies to let this heal as fast as I can and I would count sex as a physical activity. At least with masturbation it's 100% your own terms and if it hurts, stop.

Yeah my doctors have said the same. Can take months to heal.. I know the anxiety this brings. The impatience and not knowing is the worst. All kind of bad thoughts goes through your head and googling it will only make it worse, I know. We have to think positively, xavierq up there had this for 6-7 weeks until it completely went away so 2 months sounds about right. :)
I'm defiantly cutting everything back. No sex, sweets, alcohol, spicy food and plenty of bed rest for the next two weeks. Along with 2 weeks of Naproxen NSAID i think i should finally be over this. Looks like the answer to the original question is around 2 months yes. What a ball ache :)
Update: Knocked it last night and in considerable more discomfort today. Seen that Xavierq has done this and the discomfort can last for days. Just treat your balls like gold and really look after them. It causes a set back.  P.s i've worked out im on day 36. So longer than 4 weeks .
Sorry to hear that mate. I feel the your pain. I'm on day 34 myself.
xavierq, thank you for your posts. With all the negativity surrounding this issue,it is good to hear a positive story for once. I'm going into my 3rd month and feel better after my second stint with antibiotics. Doxycycline cleared it up almost completely, but Bactrim didn't seem to help nearly as much. Now the urologist wants me to try Levaquin. I am going to go a few days before I get on it to see if the symptoms reappear. If they do, I might be headed for my third round of meds. Either way, thanks for all your updates. Most guys talk about their pain and struggles, and then leave us hanging after they get better. So I appreciate all of your input.  
I agree. Robby have you had your urine tested to see if there is any infection? Mine has come back negative and the doctor won't give anymore antibotics. Have you changed your diet or anything like that? On day 40 something now. Still a long road ahead I feel. Best of luck
Day 43. Waking up feeling a little better everyday. Most mornings I wake up and think I'm cured as I can touch my testicle and feel no pain at all, but symptoms come back slowly during the day. In general feeling a lot better over the past week. Coming from not being able to sleep or walk comfortably to waking up feeling no symptoms is a huge leap for me. I have been taking cranberry extract for one week and started on fish oil yesterday. Cranberry is used to treat UTI and fish oil has anti-inflammatory effects. Natural remedies take a long time to have any effect on the body so I will be continuing taking them for a while.
Whoops double post sorry.
Day 43. Waking up feeling a little better everyday. Most mornings I wake up and think I'm cured as I can touch my testicle and feel no pain at all, but the the symptons come back slowly during the day. In general feeling a lot better these past days, coming from the initial pain of not being able to sleep or walk comfortably to waking up and thinking it's gone is a huge step forward. But yeah, baby steps.. Also I've been taking cranberry extract this past week and also started on fish oil as of yesterday. Cranberry extract is used to deal with UTI and fish oil has anti-inflammatory effects. I can't say if it's this that is actually helping me, but at this point I'm throwing everything on there and hope something sticks. Natural remedies takes a long time to make any significant effect on the body so taking them for a long time is recommended.
Day 47. Sounds like we are in the same boat. I still get discomfort from time to time but its nowhere near as bad. No pain in the morning like you. I've been having sex and it hasn't been a problem (Taking it easy obviously). However there is some discomfort towards the end of the day and can be sore for a while if i knock it etc. I can go about life now though. I'm measuring progress week by week now. Very slow progress. Might be like this forever but who knows! At least i don't feel like its the end of the world now. Anyone reading this and stick in there. Rest, painkillers (If you can) and a positive mind will help more than any remedies (I am also taking fish oil). Will keep updating sporadically.
Hello im adil ,m too suffrng from this ,but now almost 95 % cured,took many antibiotics for the first 2 mnths then dctrs told me to stop antibiotics and said infection had gone,now there is residual ibflammation may b,and aftr that i am getting improved,now no pain in walking or sitting ,but still feel dscmfrt and twinges of pains at times,antibiotics have ruined my gut abd taking probiotics for them and some medication,for epididymitis im taking herbal mdicine mixture,i think im improving more day by day,now i will wair for three months without taling antibiotics,as my dr has said that sometimes residual pains take much time to go away ,lets see ,and my fellows be positive ,it will go away ,i wii keep this updated
3 months ago i have found blood in semen,bt i thought it is something in the comode red coloured so i materbated again the next day and found again blood(very little),got concerned and after three days of it went to a urologist and got a transrectral ultrasound which showed inflamed seminal vesiclesand some cystic focus as that of diverticulitis, but prostate is normal,and give me antibiotics cefixime and some anti inflammatories.the very next day i developed pain in testicle from walking at the back and noticed that testicles are swollen.then by evening the pain started shifting from right to left testicle ,and when one is hurting the other one remains almost normal,which i found bizarre.then i went again to dr and he said nothing serious just an infction ,and then i took cefixime for 7 days with evion and anti inflammatory,then after 4 days got some better,then got 3 days of sparfloxacin one time a day,then took cipro for 18 days with caflam.got much better but still pain in ryt testicle while walking,and still cannot close my legs completely.
After this course of antibiotics i got again intence pains in walking in testicles again shifting sides.After almost 10 to 12 days of antibiotics i again went to my dr and he gave me 8 days of Ofloxacin then 7 days of levofloxain,which deacreased the pain to a manageable level and very less pain while walking bt still discomfort in testicles on prolonged sitting,walking ,standing.
After this dr said that u have taken enough antibiotics and this may be the residual pain which may go away with time and didnt give me more antibiotics.bt some medication for my gut which was ruined by these medicines causing too much gas and bloating and abdominal sharp cramps all the time.
After a month i feel very much recoverd from abdomnail cramps and also the epidimid dont hurt now while walking.even when i touch them they feel very very less inflamed sometimed feel norml almost when toching,or when i grab  my testicles .bt still i dont feel 100 percent normal.
i again visited my doctor this week and he prescribed me wobenzym for residual discomfrt and slight pain,and librex for bloating and cramps and cut care capsules(probiotic).and he said there is no need for more antibiotics as new transrectal ultrasound showed seminal vesicles are now normal, dopller of testicles showed evrythng normal and no inflammation.
bt still i dont feel im 100 percnt ok and there is discomfort and very slight pains at at times .
Also the right testicle is the one which hurted more and now i see it is hanging up and futher than usual.
Also i noticed i cant cross my legs while sitting or lying down,there is no pain bt i cant due to somewhat limited angle.
Also i cant close my legs while laying down testicles comes in between and strt crushing,this was not the case before,
I am very much confused by this all.
I had a question for you. Did your doctor say the antibiotic were the once causing the bloating and cramps? I'm taking the same antibiotic and I don't have pain in my testicles anymore but I get sharp pains where is hard to walk and bloating kinda feels like a hernia?
[Epididymitis 2.0 / Day 5] Hey guys, sorry to bring bad news, but I think this damn thing  is coming back again on me, as many other commenters have written, this thing might be chronic forever.  

I have been resting and using cold packs for a while, it started on July 5th 2016, its been a bit of discomforting, however, not as much as on September 2015, maybe because I already have an idea of what is going on and is less scary, but still, uncomfortable.  I'll wait to see what happens, I don't want to try antibiotics this time as I don't think it really helped last time, but will use some anti inflamatories I have from the last time that are still some months before their due date, and that were prescribed to use in case of emergency on my vacations.

I definitely had a lot of greasy and sugary food on and around the July 4th and that might be the cause, added to a poor diet and lack of exercise on the last months due to work stress... I think I also got hit slightly on some furniture around those dates, so, that's my theory at the moment. I'll update thoroughly.
Day 83. Feels like it's 90% healed. The pain is mostly gone, but still some discomfort left. Still best during mornings, but I feel I can walk without any pains now at least. It's going in the right direction but I would never think it would last this long. Had a second ultrasound which showed no signs of any inflammation left so I guess I'm dealing with the residual pain/discomfort. No choice but to continue fighting. Still only taking fish oil and cranberry extract.
[Epididymitis 2.0 / Day 17, done] After a couple of days of resting a lot, drinking lots of water and using a cold pack a few times, the pain is now gone.

I wonder what was it, it felt the same as before: A bulge behind the left testicle, warm left leg, pain in the lower abdomen...

Its been a week or so without symptoms, probably a hit or excess sugars.
Hey bro what are You feeling In your leg ?
I had testicular pain and went to ER in November of 2015. Diagnosed with epididymitis and given doxycycline. I have gone to 2 different urologistS and both have agreed. Have also tried a full course of bactrim and cipro and nothING has worked. For the last 8 months I have been in constant pain and it never goes away, it's 24/7 sever pain. I started a new job in April and have missed so much time due to the pain associated that I'm close to losing my dream job. I cannot tolerate the pain anymore. I really feel that these urologistS could care less and take you for a ride. The antibiotics didn't work and ibuprofen, tylenol, aleve or aspirin does nothing for the pain, not even a little bit. I am in constant pain in my right testicle and feel so disconnected from the world and my family. I have had 3 ultrasounds and nothing has shown but epididymitis. 8 months of absolute constant severe pain. The only thing that helps is ice on my testicle but as soon as I remove it, the pain fires back up. It's not like I can sit at my desk at work with an ice pack on my testicle. Idk anymore this has destroyed my life and sadly I am struggling to find a reason to continue. Antibiotics, OTC pain reliever and anti inflammatory medicine do nothing. I wouldbt wish this 24/7 severe pain on my worst enemy. I thought this was suppose to pass on its own never mind all the antibiotics. What a nightmare
It sounds the urologists have nothing to do with it all of them..
It came back again after 3 months! this time is harder, stronger and hit left and right testicles. After the first time I've got hydrocele in the right one, now i'm afraid to get hydrocele  in both... Any advice??
hello its almost 4 months into this , i have still not totally cured.still pains at times not much but noticeable or like more of a discomfort,and  a feeling yes it is there,cant walk too much or stand for long periods as it increases discomfort or starts to cause some ache.now going to a new urologist,today he has asked for a semen analysis,will post after results .as i told last doc has said that it is just residual inflammation give it time .now lets see what will happen.we will be recovered, dont give up.
Thanks for supporting..You know how hard to deal with something bad like this. Despite the pain the hydrocele is really killing me the size is shameful feels like having dinosaurs testicles!!
Urologist advised me to go for surgery.. and also for semen analysis. I didnt do both as the epididymitis is still there.
waiting for your updates. Hope the results are good.
Always take second opinion before doing any kind of action expecially syrgery related,as in most of the cases i have heard that after the infection is over the hydroceles go on their own for good,however if it is discomforting then it is good to go for a surgery bt however always take a second opinion.and today i will show my semen analysis reports to the doctor ,hoping everythng will be good.and brother never ever give up,We will all be recovered soon.THE DARKEST HOUR OF THE DAY IS JUST BEFORE THE DAWN.i will update and share my cures.in my opinion ofloxacin and levofloxacin worked well and made me to walk pain free most of the time ,however somedays are still lilttle bad but not too much.However always take plenty of fluids and water and a very good diet or you will be end like me havinf severe GUT problems. after 3 days iwill get my culture reports for semen.
hmm i have got my results for semen analysis,dr said that ist is good and near to normal .However he is i think now assuming that there is no infection left,bt only the residual inflammation.But i doubt thatttttt:(.Now given only 5 day medicine a painkiller type pill which excreted in urine causing dark orange urine having analgesic effect on genital organs,and one for inflammation 50 mg dicloran(diclofenac sodium),and the third one i dont know what for ,its name is lucid.now see how it goes.He has called me after 10 days of the medication.And jimmo go for semen analysis as it will show somehow that now at what stage the infection is .and then treated accordingly.and if results will not be good then dont get panic cz when u have an infection it affects the semen but however it will be temporary.
oh no,i have checked lucid is againnnnn an antibiotic (ciprofloxacin by a diffrent brand name), i am confused what to do s my GP had said that donnt use any more antibiotics if you want to get better. and now this urologist is again giving me ciipro.i have used cipro in past but it have no affect thennn....i am literally confused.
i have found out after so much research that the causes for epididymitis are filiriasis(where DECs will work only), Trichomoniasis or some anonymous type of bacteria (where metronidazole works only), Appendicitus(appendix removal surgery), Kidney stones(treated accordingly), STD related(Doxy,Azithromyicin Levofloxacin etc will work), UTI extended to this(Ofloxacin,augmentin may be etc), trauma(heal naturally with time plus anti inflammatories), Pelvic floor dysfunction( muscle relaxant like XATRAL plus exercise), Tuberculosis (only t.b medication cures). these cures i have found by my extensive research and we are obviusly suffering from one of these things, so if one method fails look for another possibility. cause the reason surely will be one of the mentioned above and the specific remedy will work, but most doctors dont bother to look into these and just keep experimenting on us with inappropriate antibiotics or treatments.Hope it helps
i have not yet started these medicines, i will also do a urine culture then go to  a GP,then show him all my results including semen analysis,culture,gramstein,urine culture and then will go for more antibiotics as he will suggest.However im now also feelng pain in my penile area.and also at times in my pelvic jointts.i think the effect of wrong gait while suffering from this disease.However noew trying to walk normally.
Another cause which i forgot to mention but is rare is a fungal infection or yeast one where antifungals like lamisil will work.   However,i  have got my semen culture report and it shows staph bacteria.... and it is highly resistant to cipro..........and some other drugs.so please i beg you people get a break from antibiotics for 15 days(window period) and get a urine and semen culture done for bacteria with e gram stein and for fungus stain with sensitivity for both. I really beg you people, it is your health and you have to go for this otherwise drz will just experiment on you with diffrent antibiotics.Some may be good but for wrong duration and some may be totally resistant that you are taking . I have learnt my lesson that always do proper testing in the first place if you want to suffer less ,recover more and complete.
and again i beg you people leave antibiotics for 15 days and get these 2 tests done(semen and urine culture and sensitivity with gram stain
i have today got my urine culture done reports will be sent on monday.
Day 93. Pain is almost gone, only some slight discomfort left but nothing too severe. Some ache left in the groin and thigh area, but that is probably from walking with an unnatural posture for 3 months because of the testicle pain. My GP confirmed with the urologist and said the residual discomfort will fade within the next months so I'm finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping for a continuous recovery. What a ball ache..!
Penny wiz im cold zephyr,bro same is happening to me for 2 months where i was assuming it was just residual discmfrt or residual pain,as normally i dont feel pain while walking just slight pain at times or a dscmfrt,bt sone days it becomes little bad,so i got my cultures done which shows i still hve bacteria, believe your drz but not blindly,now i vil show reprts to dctrz and again get a treatmnt accordng to bug sensitivity to get fully recvrd.please be sure that infction has gone by these tests
What kind of cultures did you have and what kind of bacteria did you test positive for? I have done urine cultures and they have all come negative.
hm hmm it is fine if they are negative,i have again got tested semen and urine and got all negative results.so maybe the positive one may be the contamination of the specimen.However doc recommended me not to take any antibiotic and also im not takin any antibiotic for 2 months almst.Are u taking any antibiotics?
However i will do one more test for culture and sensitivity for fungus.Then if it will be negative then see.....Jimmo u havent updated anythng
i am only taking librax to recover from the gut problems caused by nsaids and antibiotics that i have taken in first 2 months,antibiotics really do cause harm, but however we have no choice. Also duw to wrong gait for 3 or more months duw to this disease i think i have got some kind of inflammation or somethng in pubic region muscles.However doctor said will go away with time as penny has said
Yeah I think we have to play the waiting game unfortunately. I think we have the same symptoms. Even stomach problems, as I had a severe reaction to NSAIDs so I can't take them anymore. My GP also put me off NSAID and antibiotics after only 3 weeks because of the problems with my stomach. Still feeling sore on my testicle. This *****!
Yes,NSAIDS are poison if taken excessively they have ruined my gut,still im recovering after 2 and a half  months, now im again on antibiotics on basis of 1st culture which was positive for staph aureus and taking ofloxacin 200 mg2 times a day for 5days and Wobenzym(natural enzymes for inflammation as a substitute for NSAIDS) for inflammation.See what happens
Hello do you have now any ..pain or other syptom?
First of all, thanks to all for sharing your experiences. This is very helpful for those of us who are going through it now.

Here is my case: It seems like it all started with urinary track infection. I had pain in my bladder, went to see GP, she did urine test and diagnosed UTI. I got one dose of antybiotic, which was supposed to take of of the problem.

Bladder problem was gone but two weeks later I started feeling discomfor in the left testicle. The pain was my left testicle, which had a sore/super sensitive spot. The right testicle was also painful, bug the pain was not as bad, and there was no sensitive spot. In a matter a few days, the pain became unberable and I went to see another GP. She suspected I have STD, did the blood and urine test but results came back negative. Even before she got the results, she gave me a shot of antybiotic (not sure what it was) and 7 days worth of 100 mg doxiciline, 2x a day.

Few days after staring on the antibiotic the pain got even worse, I went to hospital to see another GP who sent me to see urologist. He suspected it is either epididymitis or swollen veins. I got ultrousound done and epididymitis was confirmed. He also confirmed there is no sign of cancer or anything of that nature. Sinde I already received a dose of anybiotic, he adviced that I stay home, rest and the pain shold go away. He said it normally takes up to 3 months for the pain to go away.

How did I get it? Well, according to the doctor, it is related to excercise. It is true that around the time when I had bladder problem, I started new workout program and pushed myself really hard. Plus I was wearing boxesrs during workouts, which did not provide proper support.

61 days have passed since I finished doxiciline. During this time, the pain went down aboug 50%, but it is still there. I stayed home most of the time, cause it so happens that I'm between jobs. I walk only if I have to, maybe an hour per day. I wear special supportive underwear (shock doctor) which helps a lot. If I wear regular underwear, ever briefs, there is substantial amount of pain.

In the last couple of days, the pain increased again and I'm planning to see urologist again. I will ask if I can get another dose of antibiotics. I don't think the infection is gone, and it seems that the dose of antibiotic that I got is low compared to those who shared their experiences above.

So I'm half way through the battle. I'm especially worried about the sore spot, it is super painful, I avoid touching it. The pain is bit less now then before but it is far from over, I feel.

I will report on the progress.
Hi oliver. Id been suffering with pain in my right tescticle for over 2 years.
I noticed after many epididymitis infections and treatments the lube from condoms were causing me utis and leading to epididymitis.it took me many trips to the doctors who obviously bombarded me with antibiotics.I have adjusted my lifestyle and use lube free condoms.it has made a huge difference in infections and I was pain free for a few years.however 6 months ago I was in severe pain in both testicles after intercourse and went to a doctor who diagnosed me with epididymitis.the antibiotics didnt help and the pain would get worse after sex. I had an ultrasound done and was diagnosed with epidermal cysts. The pain they caused was horrific. Ive had them removed 3 weeks ago and im still recovering.the painafter sugery was intense.the pain has subsided but I need to give it time to fully access how much of a success the operation was.I can relate to your dispair. I hope you do find a correct diagnosis and treatment. I wish you all the best.
Guys my problem started when i gave up masturbation but started watching porn more frequently and after 8 to 9 days there came 3 days and lets say i was watching porn for most part 3 days and after the first day of excessive porn there was mild pain in my testicles but it went away like it happens when u watch porn and dont masturbate , but on 3rd day when i went to sleep after watching porn there was pain there but i thought it would disappear but it grew stronger and went unbearable and i almost fainted with jitters for few seconds and low heartbeat . Next day was mild pain throughtout the day but no so much but i started feeling itching and irritation in my ball sack and with continuous relaxing and contracting ball sack .i called a doctor friend he told me to take Antibiotics and the next day there was no pain but my ball sack feels moving (cont and relax) for most of the time and it irritates me and it also feels warm , i sit all day at work so it is not unbearable bcos there is no pain but this ball sack is getting on my nerves , and today its a little bit better the movement of ball sack but not good enough . I am taking Velosef 500 mg . Please help .
Dont giveup, it just needs more antibiotics than normal and some months to completely disappear.Still not completely normal
Thanks Mohomed. In my case, the doctor suggested varicocele as likely cause for the painful spot. I may want to have it operated after epididymitis clears up .. will see if the pain actually goes away.
Day 71. I'm on second round of antibiotics. Levofoxacin 250 mg twice daily for two weeks. I'm taking sitz baths 30-45 minutes after taking antiobic, like someone suggested above. Pain is not as severe but testies are still tender, which makes it difficult to walk. I did urine and semen test, awaiting results. Planning to do another ultrasound once I finish this round of antibiotics and review results with my doctor.
Blood in semen... First time that ever happens to me. Possibly/Must be related with the Epididymitis issues I had before as related in this thread.

Today I masturbated after a call with an ex-girlfriend, however, the call was 3 hours or more before I got home....

Probably because of having erections on and off while fantasizing something burst inside or near my testicles.

During the ejaculation the first drops were totally brown/red, and at the end it was "clear" as I would expect. 70-80% of the ejaculation was tinted red.

Very worried, already left a message with my urologist.
Dont PANIc i got it before getting epididymitis, just take antibiotics after consulting from doc. and u will be fine.
Thanks coldzephyr, urologist said to rest the next week as soon as possible.  Says this is "normal" and doesn't mean any potential issues 90% of the time.  So just to wait.

Also, that probably my epididimitis was caused by probably something like this, that is, having fantasies through the day without relieving myself, probably an artery somewhere just burst because of having uncontrolled erections, which means a lot of other organs get ready too but not used.

Also said that it is very likely that the epididimitis will come back after this, as it can be caused by rotting/clotting blood in the pathways.

So, here we (probably) go again...  Anyhow, I will have to read a lot about self control, meditation and all that... Retrospectively, I get a lot of daydreaming about past girlfriends and have been single/abstemious for a long time.   Probably I got to the root of the issue. Never thought having "bad thoughts" could be so damaging.

So guys, lesson learned, if you plan to have some bad ideas or watch some porn, be ready to ejaculate ASAP, don't burst anything inside you!
i think u should take a secnd opinion or talk to the current doc ,take appropriate medicine before it converts again into epididymitis .Like danzen with some other antibiotic as a precautionery measure.As i got epi after blood in semen,i ignored it and 4 days later i was sufferng from epi.so plz bro look into it seriously.
Checking in again. Been battling this since first diagnosis 4 months ago. Still a bit of discomfort from time to time with little soreness of the testicle. Most of the time it's fine and I can even cross my legs again(!!) without it hurting. Can walk around normally nowadays which is great.

I have noticed a reduced amount of semen from ejaculation. Don't know how this affects the chances of me having a kid in the future, but honestly it's the least of my worries. I would trade being fatherless over ever having epididymitis again in a second.
penny are u still taking antibiotics?and for how long and which antibiotics u have taken?
I took antibiotics and anti-inflammatory for 3 weeks in total starting from when I was diagnosed. It gave me problems with my stomach so I had to stop taking them then.
hmm i have taken in total for 10 weeks of antibiotics in 5.5 months
Day 90. I finished second round on antibiotics, and I'm feeling much better. Swelling of testicle has gone down, and so did the pain. It seems that second antibiotic worked. The urine and seamen test results are also back. Urine test was clear for fungus, but seamen test indicates bacteria: Morganella morganii, associated with urinary track infections, and Enterococcus faecalis, associated with root canal treatment (??? - according to google). Fortunately, the second antibiotic chosen by doctor was the correct one for the bacteria found, which explains improvement.

What is disappointing is that I had to ask doctor for seamen test myself, following advice from one of the comments in this thread. The doctor did not suggest seamen test. He only did urine test before, which he said was ok.

It seems that it really comes down to finding the root cause, and making sure that the bacteria is gone. I intend to repeat the bacteria test in few weeks, to confirm it is gone. Not because doctor recommended it, but because I don't the issue to reoccur. I don't want to be through this kind of pain again.  
What was the name of the antibiotics mate? I have developed this after hernia surgery! It's been two months and still in agony.
Hello all,plz from now on everyone shall name the medicines that cured. i have almost been cured by ofloxacin 200 mg twice a day,wobenzym twice a day,becefol vitamin and folic acid supplement once a day for 28 days.and now on AIRTAL once a day after lunch.
and also using becefol for further month
I have had this problem over a week now after 2 days takeing the tablets what the doctors gave me its gone and the swollening has gone down so much i have 4 days left of the tablets and it should be gone the tablets what i was given are doxycline capsules and ciprofloxacin i would say they are the best ones for it
After roughly 4,5 months it's much better. Feels like it's 98% healed. Almost no pain or discomfort left, can walk around fine without feeling it was there. After months with pains I felt like this day would never come and even talking about how good it feels, I'm scared I'll just jinx it. I'll wait another month or so before I go running again just in case.
penny do u still have tender spots upon touching or slightly squeezing the epi?i dont feel pain while walking but there are still some tender spots
Yes there are still tender spots. It's not cured yet. I try not to touch them too much, at this point I'm just glad I'm at the point that I can sleep on my stomach again.
Hi everyone. So glad I found this thread. I've been suffering for about 9 days now. I was hit in the balls decently hard (but I didn't vomit) one day. Direct hit to the right nut. I was fine the rest of the day but the next day I woke up in discomfort. At first I was having pain in the appendix area, not even in my balls! After two days of this I went to the ER and ruled out anything bad. After the next day or two, my right nut started hurting REALLY BADLY. Made me (a 22 y/o) want to cry! The pain radiated all down the backs of my legs, especially right leg, all through abdomen, and up my right side / back.

Went to urgent care the next day. Diagnosed with epididymitis.  I am doing a 10 day course of Ciprofloxacin or whatever it's called. I'm also taking probiotics (recommended 1-2 hrs after the antibiotic) to help protect my stomach.

After reading all these posts, I'm thinking my best course of action is to take it easy and NOT take more antibiotics after finishing this course (although I want to finish this course to prevent the likelihood of infection produced from inflammation).

One thing I have noticed is that I have the urge to leak out a little bit of a clear solution, which doesn't hurt at all, and doesn't smell bad. Almost like really clear pee. Doesn't happen all the time. Not sure if it's related.

Urine tests came back negative for blood or infection.

I plan on seeing a urologist soon.

I will keep this thread updated. I hope the rest of you guys stick around too. It's terrible being in this pain.

I'm lucky to have an understanding gf who is helping take care of me. Having to ride a train 1 hour there and 1 hour back from work every day really ***** though.
Do u guys still have tender spots upon recovering by touching the epis?
Yeah defnitely
heloo ,20 days from completing the 28 day course of ofloxacin ,almost fine except for som discomfort while walking,but i think it is linked to stomach issues cz i feel pressure in lower abdominals as of a gas and sometimes feels something is in there mostly in lower ryt abdomen,will go to doc toady or tomorrow,see then what happens...
Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks for sharing your stories.

I was also diagnosed with epididymitis two days ago. Been given Ciprofloxacin too alongside with paracetamol and ibuprofen. I also find the pain and discomfort to get worse at nights. My right testicle is just ever so slightly swollen compare to the left one. The pain is bad on my right lower abdominal. Can hardly walk when the pain starts.

I will update you throughout my experience with this. The problem shared is problem halved.

AKA47
[Day 3]

Noticed a great improvement today. I work in a office so I sit on a chair all day. This is my first day back at work since going to A&E so was expecting a lot worse. Almost pain free all day! Although my belly feels a bit weird today (feeling nauseous) maybe because of the antibiotic?

I forgot to mention that I find using a hot water bottle helping with my pain.
So im having a similar problem I think. Was diagnosed with epididymitis and went on some anti biotics for a week. The first 3 days was horrible. Couldnt sleep. I honestly thought I had a torsion or something. But then the pain started dropping. From a 6/10 to 1/10. Barely noticable.

Its now a week since I stopped anribiotics. I have days where I have no symptoms at all and my testicle looks normal. But latelybive been getting these lumps around the testicle and the cord itself. It only take about 3 seconds to massage them and for rhem to dissapear, but its still weird. Also, my testicle is always tilted abit and higher up than usual. Theres a discomfort thete, but I wouldnt call it pain. Also it seems that the more pointy part of the testicle keeps migrating from top to bottom. As if the cord with all its content is moving up and down the testicle.

Is this normal? I cant take any ibuprofen or similar medicine because it grearly irritates my heart and im not sure if alternatives exist. I dont need it for the pain, but it feels like theres a swelling of the epididymis. Also mu doctor said I sahoild "empty" myself every other day, because it removes the clogged up and infected sperm in the tubes. I think it just provokes the dicomfort tho. Is he right or wrong?
Hi, do you still have this problem? Im currently going through epididymitis (a little over a week) and I have noticed very similar changes with my testicle. Have you had an explanation? Really appreciate a reply.
[Day 6]

Unfortunately the pain hasn't improved much. It's very inconsistent with no pattern of day or night or any specific activity.

The hot wate bottle is still helping when in pain. Not sure if the strong painkillers are doing much though. Still taking Ciprofloxacin
Now you are fine or not ?
[Day 11]

Here I was thinking I'm fixed, for the past couple of days I haven't had any pain nor discomfort....until today:

Left work early as I felt extremely nauseous and very weak legs, muscles and joints, felt like if I walked my legs would snap. So went to my GP and he said it's one of side effects of Ciprofloxacin. He advised I should continue with my 14 days treatment of it though and gave me some anti-nausea tablet (Domperidone)...has anybody here had any side effects with Cipro?

The battle continues...
Now your cond ?
[DAY 13]

I stopped taking my Cipros today Because I felt like CIPRO is killing me inside. Extreme fatigue all over my body and nausea. Don't want to listen to any more uneducated doctors as they don't seem to care. There are so many websites out there about how poisonous this CIPRO is.. just be very careful guys.

The uncomfortable feeling around my right testicle and groin area is still there...
I have same problem please tell me what can I do heres my phone number 03054912651 please whats app me
Try probiotics. Do some research, it will help quite a bit. I'm a month+ from the start of everything and feeling a good bit better but still have to be careful with sex and such. Also still can't go for long walks or hikes or the pain comes back. You will get better, just hang in there. This takes a lot of time to heal. Don't try to do too much too soon oryou will set yourself back.
Thanks dude.. I know what you mean about sex etc as it feels a bit weird. I do feel slightly better now almost a month after it all started. My reaction to Cipro wasn't fun though
I'm having the exact same symptoms. I've been hurting for 2 months and the pain in my left testicle will not go away. I've been on countless antibiotics with no relief. I need help, please comment
Hi Dylan. Most people seems to be prescribed with Ciprofloxacin but be very careful with any side effects. It effected me very badly and I see myself as a healthy young man. I was told to complete my course though even with the side effects (14days)... as you can see in a lot of comments above this thing takes a long time before it starts getting better
I have been having similar symptoms but my pain comes and goes and when it comes back I feel pain on my lower back then the next day it goes away and I feel okay just feel weak I been going through this for 2 weeks and a half and I don't think antibiotics are helping that much I just wish it could go away I am very depressed I am only 20yrs old pls help
I have been experiencing the same symptoms. My right testicle is swollen and I am prescribed the same antibiotics. I feel a bit nauseous and tired but it's somewhat barable. I'm on my 6th day. I really hope the swelling and pain goes away. I'm 22 yrs old.
So I have been diagnosed with epididymitis in my left testicle a little over a week ago and on my first visit to the urologist I was given gentamicin and levofloxacin for 6 days. My second visit to the urologist was not so fortunate.The infection had spread to my left testicle, resulting in acute epididymo-orchitis. Being prescribed ciprofloxacin and ceftriaxone I was hospitalized and been taking the two antibiotics for for 2 days now with no result whatsoever. My doctor keeps threatening with surgery but I am not convinced it is the appropriate solution especially since I have had this condition for a mere week. What should I do?
Not sure if it will help you but as you can see in many of the messages above the symptoms will take a very long time before you see any improvements. Talking about my experience mine started the same as yours and I was prescribed ciprofloxacin which I had to take for 14 days. I started reacting badly to cipro after the 10th days ( I felt like dying, weak muscles, joint pains etc etc...) but my doctor said continue with the last 4 days of my cipro which I did. The simptoms started to fade away (very slowely). I'm now almost 3months passed my diagnosis and feel almost cured.. one tip it might work with the discomfort is to use a hot water bottle. Hope you feel better soon.
This blog shows a list of supplements and guidelines that have helped SOME people http://epididymitis-cure.weebly.com/
I benefited tremendously from this thread throughout my ordeal, so just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed.

Here's my story:

Got pretty much all the symptoms everyone listed. No idea what triggered it. Definitely wasn't STD. Could be too long masturbation. Could be I pulled a muscle in the groin. Could be sitting in one position for too long. Could be an infection...I am super clean and OCD...so doubt that one. Could be wrong workout. I sometimes focus too much on an activity and neglect workouts and then after a week, really do a hardcore session, so one of those could have caused it. I felt I was going to the bathroom a little frequently, so I did some kegel exercises (they are fantastic btw) just prior to the pain started. Might have overdone that too. Who knows...any of those or a combination of them might have started it.

Anyways, got pain around the testicles, shifted from one side to the other and then back. Muscles surrounding the groin area in the legs and in the abdomen felt tight. Groin area was radiating heat for a few days. Urinating was slightly irritating for a day or too (might be a result of overdoing the kegels). I went on complete bed rest out of fear. Drank lots of water everyday and took some aspirin for the pain. Then the pain got slightly better. Suddenly one day I noticed that my right testicle was tight and higher than the left, sticking forward in an awkward position. Also something (vein, muscle God knows) that was connecting from the right leg was sore and tight and thick. Super scary. Couldn't sleep on my stomach. Abdomen felt like it was hit with a baseball bat. Miserable. Researched online and according to me I had all the conditions listed on every medical website. Completely depressed, I got a urologist appointment and stayed on bedrest and didn't do anything taxing. No meds, no supplements, just simple food and lots of water.

Then I found this thread, and realized that it's probably just epi. I had a couple of good days, a couple of bad days, but some sort of discomfort was always there for a month. On good days when I woke up with a hard erection, I masturbated to take the pressure off and it seemed to help for the most part, definitely didn't do any harm. I would go for a short one though, not a 3-hour session. Around day 30 the right testicle went back in its proper place. On day 31, I woke up with no discomfort. Almost no sensitivity. During the day I forgot about it. I never went to the doctor. The next day again I was a little sensitive but nothing that bothered me.  Today is day 35 and I feel fine. Not on my mind at all. Went on the treadmill yesterday for 40mins and walked uphill, ran a little bit and it felt fine. Won't push it for a little while in case it backfires. I am afraid that too much bed rest can have other side effects.

I am sure that this is going to take some time and probably will come back from time to time, hopefully with mild symptoms. That's life I guess. I am 43.

So folks, if you are going through this, just hang in there. Here are my tips (very similar to ramac's list)

1. Rest, rest and rest. Don't take on any stress, physical or mental. Relax your abdomen and groin muscles consciously.
2. Every few hours walk around to stay healthy and moving.
3. Wear moderately tight underwear for constant support.
4. Drink lots of water.
5. Do not go to the doctor unless it goes out of control. Wait at least 30 days in any case if you can manage. It's useless.
6. Take serious fiber foods to keep your stomach and bowels healthy. Inactivity, stress and constipation can make this worse and more painful.
7. Masturbate (max 5-10mins) every few days or when you feel the strong urge, because God only knows what will happen if things get backed up down there. Just keep things nice and normal.
Just got diagnosed with epididymitis and UTI a few days ago after going to the ER for groin pains. Gave me a shot of rocephin through my *** and a super 1g (4 250mg tabs) of z max. It's now Wed night here at home. Still have that weird feeling/very slight pain, but the excruciating pains are gone,  for now. Feels like a slightly pulled groin muscle on the right side. My urologist prescribed me Cipro but I'm not filling it because of the potential permanent side effects. I'm already having nerve issues so I'm not taking that chance. I'm changing my primary in 3/2017 and maybe she can recommend me a better urologist. The one I saw today barely saw me for 8 mins, felt my nuts, said I had epid. Didn't bother to do an ultrasound or a **** test to have a better informed decision. At least the pain is much less now to where I can sit down and not feel like I got hit in the nuts with a 100mph fastball from nail Ryan lol. Im just sitting on my couch playing mass effect 3 as I'm typing this. BTW I'm new here :)
Nolan Ryan I mean lol
I've been having pain in my right testicle for about three weeks. I was on Cipro for two weeks.  It seemed to work and then near the end of the course, the pain returned. It's difficult to sit, move around, etc. I find walking a lot seems to help. I do wear boxers and after reading some comments I realize I should get a more supportive brief.  This is very frustrating and the pain has changed my life for the worse.  The pain does radiate down my leg at times it seems to focus on my knee as well. I am going to try warm baths, as was suggested in this string. I do put ice and it seems to help somewhat.  
Had similar problem few weeks back...i was actually on Ciprofloxacin for two weeks, my experience was really terrible as I felt like I was gradually dieing inside...i couldn't continue taking Cipro because it was like the drug was killing me inside with almost no energy to walk but after several research online I came across some natural remedies to get relief from my left burning testicle....i simply took two clove of garlic chopped into tiny pieces and then make a glass of moringa tea...i would rather have my garlic swallowed than chew.. So I put the garlic in my mouth drink the tea to swallow the garlic. I do this before meal in the morning and also at night, before 5days I started feeling normal.. .now am not feeling any burning down there it feels normal with my energy level gradually coming back to normal...im sharing this piece of info to help others who might have similar problem... It's better you get diagnosed first before attempting any self medication...
Hello, I am suffering from the similar problem since october 14. In my case, symptoms started with pain in groin area in right side at first day and after 3/4 days, there was no pain in groin area but the pain shifted to the right epidymis. I went to the general Surgeon, he took USG test and urine analysis and gave Cipro 500mg for 5 days with Flexon(brufen) and Pantose. And within two days of use, I didnot find any improvements over symptons. Then, I went to the Urosurgeon, but he said to continue the same medicine for 14 days. After full dose of CIpro, no pain in testicle though some sort of discomfort and swelling are still present. I can continue work, walk very comfortably but when I return back to home, I feel uncomfortable and stress in groin area and on base of penis . Let's see what happens next.
Today, it is November 11 and it's been 27 days that I had epididymitis. Now, I am completely fine. Take rest as much as I can and take medicines in time. From my experience, it seems like you can be fine within one month.
I am brand new to Epididymitis - 6 days - and it is very discouraging reading all of your posts - I feel your pain. I spent Saturday in the hospital with pain levels of 9.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. Cipro helped get me to a bearable pain level & supportive Jock Strap helped also. Present pain level = 6. But, it's been at 6 for the past 4 days and if I remove the Jock I'm right back up to an 8. I was hoping for relief in about a week or two but by reading your posts it looks like I could be in for a 2 month ride. This is not good news. So much of what I read refers to STD's as the cause. I am 73 years old and I can 100% guarantee that there is zero chance of that - unless my right hand counts. Has anyone had any experience with something like ultrasound treatments helping?