Urology Community
How Long Does Epididymitis Take To Go Away?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I got diagnosed with epididymitis a week ago and the pain has just now began to leave. Is this common and how long does it normally take for the pain to go completely away along with the swelling? My scrotum hasn't swollen and i've had a ultrasound, blood test, and urine sample and all came back negitive for cancer or a tumor. I'm really frightened about it and hope that this is just epididymitis. Also, the epididymitis came after working out and I also have pain in my tighs, is it possible that i pulled my groin and also have epididymitis?

I used to come down with this about every 3 to 4 months requiring a hospital admission.
Some of the pain would radiate down into my legs. It usually would take me about a month or so to get over it.

I've had it too and I was on antibiotics for months before it resolved.  I think the antibiotics caused worse problems because I haven't felt the same since so I would go easy on them, especially cipro.  I got it again a few months ago and it still hasn't completely resolved but I'm not taking any antibiotics right now because I'm worried about their side effects.  For me, wearing briefs rather than boxers gives some support and really helps it heal I think.  Also taking warm baths seems to help.

I have had this numerous times and I must say that warm, hot water give comfort but ice packs are better for this condition.

I used to get it about every 3 to 4 months requiring a hospitalization for about a week.

After my wife and I had our 4 children we decided on a vasectomy to see if it would stop the infections of the testicles. I had a complication with it and ended up loosing the left testicle. I have not had any other bouts of epididimitis or orchitis since 2000.

I hoe that you will be able to get this under control. I know the pain it causes.

All the best.

Ron
Ive had epidimitis for bout 2 weeks now and my right testicle still won't go down now I'm taking cipro 750 and taking ibuprofen should I be more patient??
Go easy on the cipro, i was given this a few weeks ago for epi. took it for 5 days then i could'nt walk for a week as all my lower tendons seized up. now been on a different antibiotic and naproxin for 2 weeks but testicle and groin seem to be no better ive got no swelling but very tender area on the left testicle and lots of pain right in the groin near testicles. does this sound familiar to anyone. ive  had this on and off now for 6 months and getting fed up with it as its taking over my life.
I started having pain on the right side of my testicle nerve (epi) and then i took antibiotics and it went to the left side also. Now i have it on both sides and antibiotics dnt calm much the pain i always feel a dull and uncomfortable pain and *****. Ive had this for about 4 months or more and masturbate about 1 a week now
I've taken Batrum for about 5 days so far and the swelling went down alot but the right side is still hard and larger that the left. I still have to walk around holding up my scrotum. It's still better than 3 days ago. I could hardly walk then. Got it by running with boxers. I forgot to put on briefs for a 1/4 mile run (1m30s). hope this helps
Any signs of getting better yet ? I have the same symptoms
I started feeling pain in testicles two weeks back. As I dont rely on doctors anymore. I made a search on internet, matched the symtoms (symptoms) and it turned out i had the epididmytis. I took doxycyline for a week and pain began to go away but then masturabted and pain came back and this time it was worse. Then i took cipro for 10 days. 80% pain went away and now im taking doxycyline. The thing is usually people mess up the treatment by masturabating or something like that. In order to completely get rid of this problem one has to wait till u are complety sure about it. Thats why I suggest you to do be in a hurry. Be patient and take antibiotics. GOOD LUCK
Thanks kyle.. i had a mild pain in the left testicle for more than a week . went to the doc and  diagonised epididymitis and started on Cipro 500 mg from thursday, its 4 days now. and pain transferred from left to right.. left is better now. using ice bags as you suggested and its helping..does doxycycline help better than Cipro?
My doctor diagnosed me with a groin strain at first, but the pain was so bad I was going to go to hospital, I then was diagnosed with epididymitis  and been on cipro 500 mg for 1 week. In day two of cipro, hoping this helps. Working in pain everyday. I have office job, but it hurts no matter what I do. Laying down with ice pack seems to provide the most relief. Any other suggestions? Oh and I was given Tramadol for pain as well. Anyone experience radiating pain from this or localized? Thanks God  bless

Chris