Urology Community
How Long Does Epididymitis Take To Go Away?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I got diagnosed with epididymitis a week ago and the pain has just now began to leave. Is this common and how long does it normally take for the pain to go completely away along with the swelling? My scrotum hasn't swollen and i've had a ultrasound, blood test, and urine sample and all came back negitive for cancer or a tumor. I'm really frightened about it and hope that this is just epididymitis. Also, the epididymitis came after working out and I also have pain in my tighs, is it possible that i pulled my groin and also have epididymitis?

I used to come down with this about every 3 to 4 months requiring a hospital admission.
Some of the pain would radiate down into my legs. It usually would take me about a month or so to get over it.

I've had it too and I was on antibiotics for months before it resolved.  I think the antibiotics caused worse problems because I haven't felt the same since so I would go easy on them, especially cipro.  I got it again a few months ago and it still hasn't completely resolved but I'm not taking any antibiotics right now because I'm worried about their side effects.  For me, wearing briefs rather than boxers gives some support and really helps it heal I think.  Also taking warm baths seems to help.

I have had this numerous times and I must say that warm, hot water give comfort but ice packs are better for this condition.

I used to get it about every 3 to 4 months requiring a hospitalization for about a week.

After my wife and I had our 4 children we decided on a vasectomy to see if it would stop the infections of the testicles. I had a complication with it and ended up loosing the left testicle. I have not had any other bouts of epididimitis or orchitis since 2000.

I hoe that you will be able to get this under control. I know the pain it causes.

All the best.

Ron
Ive had epidimitis for bout 2 weeks now and my right testicle still won't go down now I'm taking cipro 750 and taking ibuprofen should I be more patient??
Go easy on the cipro, i was given this a few weeks ago for epi. took it for 5 days then i could'nt walk for a week as all my lower tendons seized up. now been on a different antibiotic and naproxin for 2 weeks but testicle and groin seem to be no better ive got no swelling but very tender area on the left testicle and lots of pain right in the groin near testicles. does this sound familiar to anyone. ive  had this on and off now for 6 months and getting fed up with it as its taking over my life.
I started having pain on the right side of my testicle nerve (epi) and then i took antibiotics and it went to the left side also. Now i have it on both sides and antibiotics dnt calm much the pain i always feel a dull and uncomfortable pain and *****. Ive had this for about 4 months or more and masturbate about 1 a week now
I've taken Batrum for about 5 days so far and the swelling went down alot but the right side is still hard and larger that the left. I still have to walk around holding up my scrotum. It's still better than 3 days ago. I could hardly walk then. Got it by running with boxers. I forgot to put on briefs for a 1/4 mile run (1m30s). hope this helps
Any signs of getting better yet ? I have the same symptoms
I started feeling pain in testicles two weeks back. As I dont rely on doctors anymore. I made a search on internet, matched the symtoms (symptoms) and it turned out i had the epididmytis. I took doxycyline for a week and pain began to go away but then masturabted and pain came back and this time it was worse. Then i took cipro for 10 days. 80% pain went away and now im taking doxycyline. The thing is usually people mess up the treatment by masturabating or something like that. In order to completely get rid of this problem one has to wait till u are complety sure about it. Thats why I suggest you to do be in a hurry. Be patient and take antibiotics. GOOD LUCK
Thanks kyle.. i had a mild pain in the left testicle for more than a week . went to the doc and  diagonised epididymitis and started on Cipro 500 mg from thursday, its 4 days now. and pain transferred from left to right.. left is better now. using ice bags as you suggested and its helping..does doxycycline help better than Cipro?
My doctor diagnosed me with a groin strain at first, but the pain was so bad I was going to go to hospital, I then was diagnosed with epididymitis  and been on cipro 500 mg for 1 week. In day two of cipro, hoping this helps. Working in pain everyday. I have office job, but it hurts no matter what I do. Laying down with ice pack seems to provide the most relief. Any other suggestions? Oh and I was given Tramadol for pain as well. Anyone experience radiating pain from this or localized? Thanks God  bless

Chris
For any newcomers to this website, I had a case of orchitis / epididymitis and went to a quack who put me on the wrong antibiotics (he didn't even bother with a culture the first round), and then several months of Cipro and then Sulfas.

The antibiotics were not making a serious difference until I started giving myself prostate massages, followed by sitz baths (or sitting in a hot bath with your legs lifted out--this draws the blood to your groin). The reason for this is simple. The prostate is encased in a barrier that usually keeps infections out; but once infected, blood flow is limited and antibiotics don't penetrate well. Prostate massages + a hot sitz bath will increase perfusion of the prostate, drawing blood (with antibiotics) into the prostate. This is the only thing that worked for me.

I do massages once or twice a week, as well as hot baths, and so far so good (it's been almost a year).

Lastly, if your infection responds to Cipro it most likely responds to Sulfas. TAKE SULFAS, OR ANY ANTIBIOTIC, OVER CIPRO, due to the likelihood of tendon rupture. Most doctors are lazy and uninformed and will probably prescribe Cipro when something safer works, too.

And if you're urologist says that prostate massages + hot baths won't help, find a new doctor because he doesn't know his physiology and he's taking you for a ride.
I have had eppiditimitis for 45 day now. It started in my right testicle, I was on cipro for 10 days 500mg 2 daily. It then came back to my left testicle 4 days after I was done the meds. I was then put on cipro for 14 days same dose and it did nothing. I was then put on 1000 mg 2 daily of cipro, made it to day 6, my face, scalp and palms of hands broke out with painful lumps that ruptured. I've seen 4 different doctors been to emergency once and have had a ultrasound done. The doctors have yet to determine why this was caused. I am now on doxi and septra ds. I have yet to see relief, I feel like I'm about to lose my ****. Any ideas?  What's worked you you guys?
hey guys i've had most the symptoms u have been pointing out, and im likely to have epididymitis, doxycycline and anti inflamation (inflammation) pills have been helping so far for me, i agree that it takes time and u have to be patient.
My biggest question and worry is i dont have kids yet, am i still going to have children? please answer this for me,  im 29 years old
I am having this problem it is subsiding now but I have weaker erection; you have reassured me with the reduced bloodflow, hope it goes soon so I can be back to normal.  I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. thanks
Hi all, ive been experiencing some mild pain in my right testicle. it also hangs a little lower than my left testicle. its also swollen. I went to the doctor and he put me on a course of antibiotics for 5 days. ive seen no improvement so I went back and he gave me another course. I have two days left to finish my second course and I still don't really see an improvement. Im starting to get a bit worried. im not sure if its epididymitis or a hydrocele. Could anyone please advise me as to what this is.
ive had it for almost six months idk y its not going away but i get pains in my legs kidneys and left testical
Hi I have a urinary tract infection and,This morning I woke up and I saw that both of my testicles were swollen, I was scared so I called my doctor he said that it was because, I have a urinary tract infection I hope the swollen goes away. :(
I've had it since january. I took some antibiotics for 10 days and the pain went away but there has still been swelling ever since. There are days where it is good and the swelling seems down and other days there's a little bit of pain but it goes away and than there are days where it's swollen. I'm 38 years old and married and never ever cheated on my wife. I looked online and there were people saying it can take months to clear up. Should I go back to get it checked?
I started having issues in January as well.  It has been six months and I still have symptoms from the epididymitis.  It took four months just for the doctor to diagnose it.  He thought it was an inguinal hernia.  I had to endure a CT and ultrasound before I was properly diagnosed.  I was placed on doxycycline for four weeks, and although the pain receded, the inflammation remained.  Discomfort returned almost immediately after the drugs had run their course.  The doctor then put my on Cipro for another four weeks.  I just ended my regimen and the pain is starting to creep back again.  The swelling never went away.  I sincerely hope the inflammation dissipates soon, because as others have stated, it is affecting my work and home life.  
I have had bouts of epidydimitis on and off for almost 20 years never fully going away.Never understanding why it was happening. There is always a constant sensation of either a squeezing pressure on my testicle or a dull ache in my lower abdoman like someone hit me in the nads. the first time I had it was the worst,I was initially mis -diagnosed as having irritable bowel syndrome because of the abdominal pain. I had a fever and nausea pretty bad along with left testicle pain and lower abdominal pain which went straight thru to my back  My Doctor finally took me out of work and put me on cipro. That was the one and only time antibiotics worked for me. I was kept out of work for 2 months.I work in a food warehouse and I do heavy lifting all day long. Blood work,sonograms, urine  tests have all been negative over the years.This condition has also affected my work and personal life. I have researched this condition as much as I can and have come to the conclusion that what I do for a living may be the problem. Heavy lifting causes chemical epidydimitis, a back flow of urine into the system caused by straining. I believe my last flair-up came about after I tried to do crunches in the gym. I would feel better and try to get back into shape and the symptoms would return. I'm my own worst enemy. Damned if you do, damned if you dont. I am faithful to my wife and do not have a std as numerous blood tests have confirmed this.I have yet to come across any information on how to stop these flair-ups except a suggestion that if I were to strengthen my pelvic floor muscles it could help.(but wouldn't that consist of more straining) anyway that is my take on this chronic annoying condition. I hope this helps a little and can't wait till they come out with a permanent cure. GLTA