Urology Community
How do I relieve hydronephrosis caused by cronic(chronic) UPJ obstructi...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

How do I relieve hydronephrosis caused by cronic(chronic) UPJ obstruction?

I have had two pyleoplasty operations by neith seems to have worked.  Today is my fourth day with a swollen right kidney, chronic pain in my left back and flank, and the inability to sleep, drink or eat.  I've had these attacks many times before and they usually resolved themselves within 12-24 hours.  This one doesn't seem to be going away and I'm looking for help!
Has your physician raised the possibility of a ureteral stent?
He did mention a stent but said it would have to be replaced every six months for the rest of my life - a most unpleasant thought...  Do you know if these can be put in place permanently?

Thanks,
Rich
Just to correct typo in my original post - the pain is in my RIGHT back and flank, not left.
Rich, they tend to accumulate crystals from the urine so they have to be replaced periodically. This can be done through a cystoscope.
Thanks for the clarification Paul.  I guess this is an option I should really consider.  Thanks again for helping me with this.  Much appreciated!
I've had 6 surgeries on my right kidney, everyone including a stent, I have to go back to Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN on Monday the 27th to see what is going to happen. Does anyone have any ideas of what I may be up against? I am a diabetic with heart and kidney disease that is not connected to my diabetes.  If you can help me ease my mind     I'd really appreciate it.  
Hi mate
I was born with only 1 kidney and some yrs ago was diagnosed with Kidney stones and UPJ obstruction
after 2 pyleoplasty operations my body seems to make more scar tissue that causes UPJ obstructions. As a result I have had stents in place for the last 15 yrs at first it was changed every 6 months but now is changed every 4 months.
I even had whats called endopyleotomy (I hope thats correct spelling) basically thats a small lazer that is passed up the ureter to where the obstruction is and burns away the scar tissue but sadly my body didnt like that idea either so i am back to having the stent changed every 4 months until such time there is a new treatment or my kidney begins to fail then its dialysis and eventually a transplant. Thats what i got to look forward to .
Good Luck anyway and i hope you get better treatment than me
Andyman52