Urology Expert Forum
How do I stop bladder stones?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

How do I stop bladder stones?

50 y/o male. Last summer, started passing small (poppy seed sized) stones, 2-3mm.

Ultrasound tests revealed nothing. Was told to drink water. Stones became larger and numerous. CT scan that revealed numerous stones in my bladder. Urologist said stones were forming in bladder. Stones are uric-acid based. My prostate was probably enlarged. Stones continued to grow in size, passing one 1-2 wks. Was given Sodium Citrate. 2 months later, passed 5mm stone. 24-hour urine collection said I hyperexcrete uric acid. Was prescribed 300mg Allopurinol and 10mg of Alfuzosin. Just passed another "giant" stone, but after 5 weeks. Desperate to stop these stones. I do not want the penis probe! HELP!
Tags: bladder stones prostate urine
Dear BrettySpaghetti,

Thanks for posting your query.

Sometimes, renal calculi (stones) are a chronic and recurring condition. You seem to be suffering from one such recurring condition. As far as preventing these stones is concerned, unfortunately till date,  there is no procedure or medicine which can prevent the formation of urinary tract calculi.

The therapy that you are currently receiving is appropriate to treat your condition. You need to continue these drugs as suggested.
I would also suggest the following:
•         Please drink lots of water daily apart from the medicines which you are already taking.
•         Avoid red meat and excess of alcohol (if any)
•         Adopt a healthy lifestyle

I am not sure if you have an enlarged prostate gland. This can be determined by a complete examination and an ultrasonography.  If your prostate is enlarged and uroflow is poor, you can opt for a laser prostatectomy / Transurethral resection of prostrate (TURP). You may discuss these options with your urologist to know about the status of your prostate gland.

I understand that these recurring stones have been bothering you. With the treatment suggested, I hope that you have a better quality of life.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Chandan Choudhary
If there is no medicine that can prevent the formation of urinary tract calculi, why am I taking Allopurinol?
I am still waiting for an answer to my question. You said there was no medicine that could prevent the formation of urinary tract calculi. At the same time, you said that the therapy I was currently receiving is appropriate to treat your condition. My health is at stake here, so I need to know: Why am I taking the medicine? I was prescribed it by a urologist who told me its purpose was to prevent the stones for occurring. Presumably you can see the contradiction here?