Urology Community
How long does it take for kidney stones to pass?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Hello, i am a 20 year old student and recently found that i have two kidney stones. I believe they have both moved from my kidney to my bladder and was wondering how long it takes to pass them through my urine once they are already in my bladder. These stones are 1mm and 2mm and also i was wondering to what extent the pain is going to be when i pass them?
The pain of kidney stones are excruciating for some and others feel nothing, depending on the size of the stone. The pain comes from the stone moving down from the kidney to the bladder via the ureter. Once it is in the bladder, usually you shouldn't experience any pain . Drink lots of water!!! This is the only way to flush them out. You will never know if you have passed it out in your urine unless you strain it. If you suspect they have entered your bladder, you may have unknowingly passed them in your urine already.
I agree with you except about never knowing if you have passed them, I've had lots of stones, and with larger stones 3-5mm I can feel them pass though every time, I'm male by the way. With 1-2mm I couldn't feel them like you said strain the urine it's the only way of telling that something has passed. There is a condition in which stones can get stuck in the bladder and have a very hard time coming out, a good thing to do is get out of the bed and walk do some activity, gravity does help with the removal process.
How long it takes to pass a kidney stone depends on how much water you drink also...at the age of 60 I have learned when I feel pain the first thing I think of is to drink some Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water as strong as my taste will allow and as much as my taste will allow...I believe the vinegar makes the stones brittle so they will break down easier...I believe it also removes the stickiness from them so again they break down and don't cluster together...  EXTREMELY Large amounts of water in a SHORT Period of time (about 1/2 GALLON in 30 minutes or so)  it EXPANDS All your urinary track to allow the particles of stones to flow freely... the urinary track is like a rubber band with a hole in the middle....if you try to push a sandspur or thorny sticker through a hole in the center of a rubber band it will be almost impossible or you will tear the rubber band correct?   Now if you fill that rubber band with water it will expand it so the sticker will move through it SO much easier....I also use a Large Heavy Duty Back Massager directly on the painful area.... sometime I'm using the Massager as I drink my Vinegar ...and then a large amount of water....If Pain Returns....GET BACK ON THE WATER and the massager! That's the only way to EXPAND THE URINARY TRACK...unless you want a stint in you....to me that was worse than the stone's....If the stones lodge in the bladder and start obstructing it ....you will know it!  Again....GET BACK ON THE WATER.....believe it or not...having sex at this point will help....lol....or the massager...but the water will flush it out...use a strainer to catch them for at least 2 days as you have broken the stones down to small fragments now....I've had them pass in clusters of 10 - 15 pieces at a time doing this method ... they were in size from sand on the beach to dust partials....I hope this method of mine helps you feel better...it always helps me...Keep in mind this is MY method....and it works for me....I hope it works for you....every body and every stone is different....
I was told a month ago that the pain I was having wasfrom a 2mm kidney ston, that I never saw pass. A month later and in pain again I was told I have a 4mm stone in the same place as the one froma month ago.  Could it be the same ston and growing? Or a diff. Stone?
dude it took my kidney stone almost a month to go from the bladder to the urethra and a weeke to get it out of my urethra i thought it felt like a bladder infection even got anti biotics but it never got better and started blocking my pee till poof i push it out in the bathtub it was bigger than i expected and pretty scary!
i just got through from taking two kinds of antibotic (antibiotic) for urinery tract infection and i hurt in my  feels like i cant pee
ya it takes me about a mouth to pass a stone out of my bladder and it feel like a UTI the hole time -.-
Your kidney stone may not pass if it is too big. My sister had to have lithotripsy at the age of 11 because her stone was stuck and had grown too large to pass through her system.
I'm 20 yrs old and hav a kidney stone they told me nothing about it just that I hav one and I feel like hell I feel like I'm gona throw up and hav the sweats I don't know too much about this but I kno my white blood count is high and no one can giv me exact answers hopefully someone here can
You need to go to the doctor, they can give you something for the pain and the nausea. I went yesterday and they gave me like 4 different medications.
i woke up this morning with pain in my stomach and back. It wasnt as bad as ive read of others but it still hurt. it only lsted 15 to 30 minutes then it was gone. about 6 hours later i pissed out a stone. my question is was 15 to 30 minutes of pain the only thing i needed to worry about? or am i in for a painful suprise in the next few hour?
I had my first attack with a kidney stone. It came on suddenly and was so painful I thought I was going to die. Went to the hospital ER and was taken in immediately. I did not receive any pain medication until the blood tests were evaluated. The pain meds only took the edge off the pain but it was a welcomed relief. My pain was a 10+ and pain management brought it down to a 3 to 4 but what a relief it was. After approximately 3 hours in the ER the pain stopped. The blood test showed I had blood in my urine. The MRI showed it had moved on but I had swelling in the "tube" it travels in. Never do I want to go through this again. How long does it take for this "stone" to leave my system?
How long did it take Jaime?  I had this happen to me the other night,  same thing er and everything,  my first one....I'm worried the intense pain from the uriter part will happen in the urethra part,   By the way if it does happen again I'm gonna try the water vinegar thing,  you sound like you've been around guy!   Thanks,  I feel a little better after reading from you guys!
Hi.. I had severe back pain on Christmas morning & ambulance was called but none available so a friend & her family put off their Christmas dinner to take me to the hospital. There, was discovered after a uring test that I had a 9mm stone that is in my bladder....now wouldnt I feel that pass thru me, because I sure havent yet.
sorry, I m new to all this here & didn't realize this was posted twice. I don't know how to remove this 2nd one I have on here.
i was just diagnosed with a kidney stone this weekend at the age of 19 and i am female, i had a catscan done that is how they found it in the ER, i was vomitting to the point where when i started it was food later went to water and after that it was dry throw up and than it was the medications they gave me through the IV i practically threw up on the doc. so he never returned and i never found out anything else regarding the stone after 8 hours of the ER without the waiting room throwing up on numerous occasions going through repetitive hot flashes and chills, and nausea with lower back and abdominal pain shifting from one to the other on numerous occasions and two different IV's along with pain killers, so i literally didnt get much info. and after reading other comments it seems like for as much  excruciating pain i was in and am still taking nausea meds, and codein pain medications they should have let me have more info on the condition.
Last week I had excruciating back pain that reminded me a lot of back labour (I've given birth twice) but instead of contracting and letting go, it grabbed hold for a few hours and wouldn't let go. My stone is 2.5mm and it took 3 days to go from back pain only to back and lower belly pain to just belly pain. I guess at this point it has moved into my bladder. It's been 6 days and it hasn't left my body yet. For women, a stone that size, would you feel it coming out? How long should it take and at what point if it hasn't should I go back to the Drs?
When my stones were moving, I experienced all the symptoms you describe.  Even green gunge in the wee, sometimes just blood, sometimes diarrhea with sever vomitting and a high fever.  At its worst and on pethedine for the pain (with no relief), the pain was so severe that I was forced into sitting position whilst lying ill in bed.

I got to find out in March that I had a stone and the remains of the stone were surgically removed in August (this was 20 years ago) because of the above symptoms.  Ultrasound confirmed that it was stuck in the ureter and had to be removed urgently.  Luckily I have not experienced such a severe kidney stone problem since that time (and never want to go through that ever again).  But occasionally I have found very fine sand in the urine when I have caught it in a container.  I do this to analyse my urine when I feel ill and when I experience twinges in my back where the kidneys are).

I also make an effort to drink more water.

It was found that my stone was calcium based and I was told to avoid all dairy products as well as some fruit and veg.

There are 4 different types of kidney stones.  Unfortunately, once you have had kidney stones the chances of getting another one are much higher.

All the best

Avoid dairy?  Bad advice with regards to stones.  If you take oxalates you need some calcium to bind them in your gut and not your urinary tract.  Instead pound water with lemon juice,  take magnesium citrate and potassium citrate,  vitamin B6, and K2 and green tea makes the stones softer.
Thanks for your input on the vitamins to soften stones.
I will jot that down so that I remember for the next time.

I do not have any stones at present.
My stone was surgically removed 20 years ago, the thinking has probably changed since then.  But at that time, when my stone was analysed I was told to avoid all dairy produce, beetroot and strawberries. and other foods.

They also told me that I had too much calcium in my body at the time.

I do eat some dairy, but I am not a lover of cheese and do have milk in my tea or coffee.

I have been drinking a lot of water with fresh lemon juice and green tea with honey (for my bad throat), was taking magnesium up until 2 weeks ago.  

I have not had a solid stone since the time I had mine surgically removed, but do get a lot of sediment in the urine and feel unwell with urinary infections from time to time.  At this moment in time I am OK, but do know I have a small cyst in the kidney.   It does hurt occasionally probably when I have an infection.

What is pound water?  Do you mean drink a lot?  (I do)

Thanks for the tips.

Best wishes.
Wow ,  thanks so much for everyones information. I am a 44 yr. old female,   I was caught off guard yesterday while walking to work.  I was overcome with severe pain on one side of my back and stomach area. It was very hot here yet I would get chills and was feeling like I needed to vomit.  Some dizziness and hard to even speak. I have given birth 9 times and would much rather do it 100 times more then go thru this pain,  it is relentless !   A friend drove me to ER and urine was taken immediately.  There was blood in urine.  Pain came in waves.  Got to the point that it was much more intense after urination. Doc did xrays and said that all symptoms point to kidney stone/s (which I have had in past)Doc called me a "stone former";) He could not see them ,  but apparently there are many different kinds and not all show up .  Drinking lots of H2O and praying that it passes into my wee fish net soon. I did not feel it when my first stone passed and it seemed large to me .  It was comparable to the eraser on the end of a pencil.  Doc thought it was amazing.    Having it checked at the lab will allow me to make changes to my diet and hopefully avoid this again !
Sorry to hear you are going this "traumatic" experience.  
Yes, I agree, it is much worse than labour, and my labour was pains were bad.

There are 4 common type of kidney stones:

Calcium - too much calcium in the body
Struvite - caused by frequent urinary infections
Cystine - these are usually hereditary and very rare
Uric - too much uric acid in the body

So when you get your stone analysed and know which type it is, you will be able to in most cases avoid getting another one again.

Which ever stone you have, it is important to keep well hydrated.  Drinking 2-3 litres of water is normally recommend, but you may be advised by your doctor or urologist to drink more.  And more so if you sweat a lot or workout.

Keep an eye out on any infections so that you will be able to medical help and an antibiotic to treat the infection.

Depending on which stone you have, they do not all show up on normal xray or scans.  Very small stones, like a grain of sand, will also not show up, but can cause a lot of pain.  Be prepared with pain relief medication, for when you start to feel your next painful episode.

Best wishes.
Had my first kidney stone this weekend. Was relaxing on the couch one minute, felt a weird twinge in my stomach the next, and then whammo... in bed, sweating fericiously, and writhing in pain. Within 20 minutes, I was begging my husband to rush me to the emergency room.  Crazy strong pains in my right side directly under my rib cage that ran down into my hip.  Once at the ER I was quickly moved in but made to sit in a wheelchair. BEGGING them to let me lay down. I mean BEGGING.  Finally got a little relief with morphine after blood scans. I literally thought I might die from the pain. Dripping sweat from every pore, legs shaking, and nearly hyperventalating from the pain. Never experienced anything like that.  Childbirth was far far easier to handle than this.  Went in for a CT scan. The iodine they rush into you is super weird.  Was beyond happy to find out that I would not need surgery when they told me it was a Kidney stone.  Pain subsided later that day to a 3 from a 10+ earlier in the morning, and now, 3 days later, gallons of water, and still no stone. Hoping that it has either passed without me knowing (crazy as I have been straining everything) or more pain to come. Anyone know if the pain is worse from the kidney to the ureter, ureter to bladder, or bladder through urethra?  UGH. Never, ever want this to happen EVER again. So excruciating.
Have had kidney stones regularly now for almost 30 years, have a permanent supply of meds to counter the excruciating pain but one bit of advice that may be useful to other sufferers is that I get into a bath of water that is as hot as I can take it, this just about takes the edge off the pain and allows the meds to work and me to not have to call the ambulance. It is uncomfortable in a bath that hot but nowhere  near the same as the kidney stone pain. Hope this helps someone.
As soon as you realise that you have a kidney stone start having 1tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with a cup of water once or twice a day. The acidity will start dissolving the stone. Depending on size and location of your stone, you can either dissolve it entirely or at least enough to makes is passing a lot less painful.

I have managed to dissolve multiple stones this way and have also had a few friends dissolve theirs using this method too.
Thank you guys for sharing your experiences.
I have collaborated all your remedies, and started taking some cranberry juice.

Will start consuming apple cinder vinegar and other stuff too.

I had laproscopy 2 years back and got removal of stone from my left kidney.
Now i am experiencing some blood in urine again, i guess, some stone is stuck in my ureter.

Lets see. thanks.
Get your urine sample analysed to make sure there is not bacteria as well as the blood.  If there is bacteria in the urine, you may need a course of antibiotics.  

Make sure that you drink plenty of water.

Sometimes blood in a man's urine could be from prostate problems.
So it is always best to check with your doctor and not presume that it is due to kidney stones.

Best wishes.
i am on 3rd week of pain. have had 2 shots as well as pipls of antibiotics. finally went t e.r. n got ct scan. my stone is 4mm, but all my pain is on opposite side. drs do not seem concerned. having an ivp kidney exray next week.
im 19 i just found out i have one kidney stone but its 6mm so its pretty big , unlike this post im not wondering how long it takes to go from the kidney thru the tube and into the bladder..cause that is by far the most painful..im missing out on a lot of things these past few days the pain is crippling i cant hardly get out of bed i just want it to be over
my situation is exactly the same im 19 i spent time and money at the hospital got a cat scan found out i have a huge kidney stone and thats all they told me they gave me some weak pain killers and sent me off....such little is done for this being said its the second most painful human experience next to child berth ...i just want some answers and for this thing to be gone
You need to make an appointment with your doctor for stronger pain relief medication and also a referral to a urologist.  

With a big stone, the urologist will take special xrays to find out exactly where it is lodged and if it is too big that it cannot come down on its own, will be able to shatter it so it is broken down into small pieces and then comes down bit by bit on its own.  Sometimes surgical removal has to be done.

Be aware that you can get urinary infections as the stone starts to move.  So look out for bloody, cloudy and very strong smelling urine or any discoloured discharge in your urine, with this you will require an antibiotic from your doctor.

Keep drinking plenty of water. I have heard that drinking water with lemon juice will help to dissolve the stones - I have not tried this, but it would also depend on which type of stone you have.  There are 4 main stones.

Best wishes.
I am a 30 year old Hispanic male --- I found out in July that I had a 4 mm kidney stone. It is now Oct and still haven't passed it. Based on my CT Scan from last week it is pretty low but in an area where the urine is going around it. I have noticed that after a good workout or physical activity there is blood in my urine. That is a sign that the kidney stone is traveling. I got some pills from the Dr to increase my urine flow so along with that I will be hitting the gym, running and doing any physical activity that will help pass this bad boy. I don't want any surgical procedures done i just want mother nature to take its course. I will keep you guys posted on my outcome.
I have a 3mm stone. Dr said it would pass in 24 to 48 hrs. It's been six days with no pain and I don't think I've passed the stone. Dr. also said not to drink a lot of water as that would keep the stone floating in the bladder.
Please comment?
There is no guarantee when a stone will pass on its own.  Sometimes a stone can break up into very small pieces and come out like grains of sand.

I can't understand your doctor telling you not to drink a lot of water, as my urologist told me to drink 2-3 litres of water per day.  Even when I was in the hospital with a blockage I was encouraged to drink a lot of water and had to urinate in a container so that it could be filtered to see if the stone came out.  

I suggest that you urinate into a container so that you can see if a stone or any sediment comes out.  

a 5mm stone is finly moved frm my kidny but it stukd n blndr so what i should do..? how much water i should drink  and hw much time it ll take..?
There is no way of knowing how long it will take to pass a stone.

I was advised my a specialist (urologist) to drink 2-3 litres of water every day.

If you get a lot of pain and discomfort and the stone is too big to pass through the urethra, a urologist has an implement that can remove the stone.  

Urinate in a clean jar and look at your urine.  If you see a lot of sediment that settles on the bottom or looks like grains of sand, then that is the stone that is breaking up.

If you get blood or other discharge with urination, make an appointment as soon as possible with your doctor as that would indicate that you have an infection and would need a course of antibiotics.
It started while I was playing xbox online then it hit me like my back hurt so bad I thought it was cause I needed to go poop #2 , but the pain was so bad to where I had to go to the hospital . Once I got there they gave me an I-V an gave me morfine / medicine to block the pain . It took bout 15 mins to kick in . Then they gave me a cat scan an said I had a 5 mm stone in right side , then let me go with a prescription for pain an nausea. I was peeing blood an then it stopped hurting so I thought I was done so 2 weeks go by then the pain worse I missed about a week of work and went to doctor an another X-ray an they  said we just see the left side bladder is backed up that's all they said an now they want me to get a X-ray with die that's where I stand for now 2 more days till X-ray , o an I had gastric bypass sergury 2-1/2 months ago and I'm 25 years old and male/guy from TX!
I'm a 31 yr old female never had a kidney stone the pain was sudden and crippling I thought something had ruptured. After er visit and catscan they told me I had a urinary infection and small kidney stone. The doctors gave me a bunch of meds said drink lots of water and to stay on a easy diet of broth and easy to digestion foods said it helps with the passing. So for 4 days I've drink water cranberry juice and can't get off the couch. I will say a heating pad helps with the discomfort a lot. I hope to never ever experience this again. Good luck everyone
I ended up at Urgent Care yesterday and CT Scan showed a kidney stone 6mm.   They said anything >5 mm one can't pass on one's own and that I would need intervention.   But - the Urgent Care doc had me pull up a YouTube video about drinking lemon juice (8 oz straight up, then an 8-oz glass of water w/ 1 oz lemon juice every hour on the hour for 11 hrs).  

I drank the lemon juice last evening but only got in 2 of the follow-up glasses.  Woke up in the night with pain, but nothing like what I went through yesterday with the stabbing pain and vomiting.    Have been up for 2.5 hours and no pain yet.    Peed into a glass and it's cloudy but not the dark reddish brown it was at Urgent Care yesterday.

Best part?  There was a small stone in the bottom of the glass!   The lemon juice seems to be breaking it up!   Have an appt w/ urologist this afternoon and will take it in to determine size and composition.

Anyway - I'm stoked!   Crossing my fingers because I really didn't want to have to have a procedure to get rid of this thing.
Sorry to hear that you have been through the ordeal of kidney stone problems.  Thanks for sharing what you have been through and how you managed to rid the stone without surgical intervention.  Nice to know that the lemon juice actually does work.

I've been there and had to have mine surgically removed in the end.  Most of it did break up over a number of months that made me very ill, but the last bit got stuck solidly in the ureter and had to be surgically removed.

Unfortunately, once we have had problems with kidney stones, the likely chance of us getting them again is increased.

If you can catch the kidney stone, get it analysed so that you know what its composition is.  Mine was a calcium oxalate stone and I was told to cut out dairy produce and some foods, as well as drink a lot.  
I haven't had a stone again, but do occasionally get an uncomfortable feeling and a lot of very fine sediment in the urine.  I drink freshly squeezed lemon juice mixed with water from time to time.

Keep well and stone free.
Best wishes
I am having my 2nd bout with Kidney stones, I am 36 years old, strong male. I have an extremely high threshold for pain ( ive broken finger playing football and, set them right there and kept playing). Kidney stone make me cry like a little girl scraping her knee.
I knew I was having one a week prior to  to the pain, my pee was the color of Apple Juice (blood in urine). I was hoping that it was just a small one. My last one was 2-3 MM and passed in one day after my ER visit.

I had to go to the ER 2 days ago, I always drive myself ambo costs to much but if you cant stand the pain call an ambo to get seen right away, sat in waiting room an hour, got back they atleast gave me meds before blood work to take the edge off. I was released 4 hours later with a prescription of Diladid (sp. there)... went home, and had to go back within 6 hours of leaving, the pain was even more intense than it was when I went 12 hrs before. This time I was left in waiting room 3 hours before getting back (which was insane). This time they atleast gave me a cat scan. It is a 6-7MM stone. This time they gave me Oxycodone and Flomax ( to break it up). Today I am still feeling pain, but it has moved to the front of the belly which has less pain than in the flank/back area. Other than drinking ALOT of water, there is not much you can do but suck it up and take the pain meds they give you. I drink 4 bottles of water daily on a normal day, with kidney stones I will drink about 16 bottles a day (one an hour). Good luck with your future stones.

*** I had a hard time getting my narcotic prescriptions filled. There is some kind of DEA restriction on the pharmacy giving them out. MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR MEDS FROM THE HOSPITAL PHARMACY YOU WENT TO!
The only places you should feel any pain at all from the kidney stones, is in the ureters, if you're female. (the ureters are the tubes that carry your urine from the kidneys to the bladder). In Females, once the stone(s) reach the bladder, it should be no pain at all, and it doesn't take long at all for the stones to pass when you urinate, the stones will be carried out of the bladder, through the urethra. Females have a short, short urethra, which is why little to no pain is felt once the stones reach the bladder to pass in the urine stream, through the urethra, to the outside of the body.

In Males the stone has to travel through the penis, and is painful to pass because it is a longer trip for the stone to travel once the stone is passed out of the ureters, to the bladder, and through the urethra in the penis, to the outside of the body. Males have two ureters like females. However, the Male urinary tract is slightly different in that the stone(s) pass from the ureters, then to the bladder, then through the urethra (inside the penis), and it is long and narrow, and the stones cause a great deal of discomfort on the way outside the body, in the urine stream.
The only time there would be a restriction placed on a narcotic fill, is if a different fill was done not too long before the next script was written. Doctor's now have to follow a very tight protocol, meaning the diagnosis has to fall under a specific diagnosis for the narcotic prescription to be written. The reason for the prescription cannot be the same, even if it's the same diagnosis as before. The dosing instructions have to be written differently. Sometimes the prescription cannot be for the same drug, or if the dose is different, the doctor must clearly write for a stronger medicine, or a lower strength medicine. Federal Drug Administration keeps record of each patient, and the narcotic prescriptions that the patient has received, and filled on each script written. Restrictions for any patient can be tightly restricted, if the patient has had several within a short window of time. The reason for such stringent rules for narcotic prescription prescribing, is because of people who abuse the use of narcotics, by either recreational use, illegal selling and distribution, and accidental or intentional overdose, which can lead to death. Doctor's are audited each time a narcotic script writing creates a pattern with one, or many patients. A need for pain narcotics diagnosis must be clearly stated in the patients Federal Doppler record for narcotic prescriptions.
Flomax, does NOT break up the stone. Flomax helps relieve the pressure you feel in the bladder, as well as dilates your ureters to help your body pass the stone with less discomfort, and ease of getting it out of the urethra.

Oxycodone is just generic Percocet narcotic. An ER doctor told me it's comparable to the pain relief strength of Dilaudid. I am always given the Dilaudid for my kidney stone attacks in the Emergency Room via intravenous injection. I never had to start the Percocet, until after 14 hours of uninterrupted pain relief with the Dilaudid. It's so much better than Morphine. It never causes a headache like Morphine does.
Sorry DestinedToBeAnRN76, but I cannot agree with your post with regard to the pain and suffering of having a kidney stone.

I am a female and at the age of 38/39 experienced pins and needles in my feet.  Doctors didn't know what the matter was.  I had alternative treatment with a reflexologist and aromatherapist who straight away said that I had a waterworks problem.

Some months later I started to have pains in my back just below the ribs.  I also experienced renal colic (this is felt like uncomfortable wind in the belly depending on which side is ill).  I experienced extremely severe painful back.  

I had lots of infections when the stone started to move.  I would pass pure blood, sometimes green pus, I also had vomiting and diarrhea all at the same time and extremely ill.  I was prescribed with pethedine as normal pain killers had no effect.  This went on for months before I eventually saw a urologist who was under the impression that my stone was in the bladder (which it wasn't).  At one point the pain was so severe that when lay in bed ill, I was thrust into a sitting position.

Parts of my stone must have come out when I was extremely ill and in pain.  But the rest of the stone got stuck in the ureter.  I was sent to the hospital urgently by my doctor who came to visit me at home when I phoned the surgery and said I was too ill to come to my appointment (I did not ask for a home visit).

At hospital I was given pain killing injections on a regular basis and because of that I did not feel any pain.  I had to catch my urine and put it though a sieve to catch the stone in the event it passed out.  But nothing happened.  I was wheeled in a wheelchair to get scanned and it showed that the stone was solidly stuck in the ureter.  The urologist decided that I had to have an urgent operation to remove the stone and was told after the operation that it couldn't have waited any longer because the kidney had built up too much pressure from the blockage in the ureter.  Any more delay would have resulted in the loss of my kidney.

My good kidney also gave me a lot of pain which was felt just below the rib cage at the front and at the back.  

Since that time, I have had some problems when I have passed a lot of sediment with the urine.  

You may already be aware that there are 4 main different types of kidney stones which are caused by different things and the Cystine stone is hereditary.

Someone did tell me to drink lemon juice and also have parsley to help stop the formation or to help dissolve a stone.  I do not know if this works or not, but I have been drinking water with lemon juice and did pass sediment - so who knows!  

As you all will be aware a kidney stone can be any size, some as small as a grain of sand.  Even though a stone can be so small it can still cause a lot of problems as it passes down the urinary tract.  If a kidney stone does not move, you would not know that you have one.

A doctor told me that I did not have textbook symptoms of a kidney stone, and to begin with I had been treated for depression.

And I agree with what people say - that having a kidney stone is worse than being in labour!
I am a 68 year old male and approx 7 years ago I stopped counting how many kidney stones I had after I hit #30. Since then I've had at least 5 more anyway. My first stone was back in 87 and I had to have it surgically removed because of its size. That was not fun and neither was the plastic tube they left in me for a week or more so my ueretha could heal from being cut open during the surgery. Since then, all my other stones have passed on their own, although all of them required a visit to the ER for a shot of demoral to kill the pain. The stones all then passed within a day of going to the ER and upon leaving the ER, I had no more pain.

About 4 weeks ago today, I started getting that pain twinge at 4 AM that I know to be the beginning of a kidney stone. The pain quickly got much worse, but I tried to tough it out at home using prescription pain meds. It lessened the pain somewhat so that it was tolerable. The pain then went away completely within 7.5 hours.

The next day when I woke up, I had no pain but was urinating almost pure dark brown/reddish blood. That continued for most of the morning, but not with a great deal of pain.

Two days later, I was awakened at 3AM with the same old "stone pain", and it again progressively got much worse. Again, I took prescription pain killers and toughed it out..BARELY. That pain lasted again for 7.5 hours and then went away completely.

Two days later I was urinating what looked like almost pure blood again and I did so in the doctor's office. I am a VA patient so my primary care physician scheduled me for a Cat Scan the following day at the VA facility that does Cat Scans, about 50 miles away.

The next morning I was driving to have the Cat Scan done but I had to stop due to the severe pain I was having and I couldn't drive. I got to a nearby hospital emergency room and was seen immediately. They gave me a shot of demoral to ease the pain and did a Cat Scan there. It showed I had a 4.5 stone, that was half way through my kidney at that point.  A second shot of demoral and then they sent me home after my wife picked me up with a prescription for Flomax, an antinausea pill, and hydrocodone pills.. The ER Doctor told me that 85% of stones under 5mm will pass on their own, but to strain my urine when I urinated and to drink plenty of water.

That was two weeks ago yesterday and since then, I have had three more different days where my urine looked almost like pure brownish/red blood and that lasted several hours after waking each time. Of course, I have not yet passed the stone and I'm drinking water,at least 8-12 oz bottles a day.and peeing my little brains out. I can't go out because of all the intake of water and having to strain the urine and basically I'm home bound until this one passes.

With all the kidney stones I've had in the past, with the exception of the first one,I have never had the blood colored urine with any of them and I have never had one not pass within a day of going to the ER and getting a pain shot of demoral. My big concern is the blood colored urine and the number of times I have now had that. Does that mean I have major infection going on at times? In between those times, my urine is not bloody but just clear.

If I don't pass this little baby on my own by next week this time, I am going to ask to see a VA Urologist at the main VA hospital and ask them to do whatever to get it out.

My Dr. said kidney to ureter, because that is the smallest diameter (about the diameter of 3 hairs) is where it is most painful. A little bit before the bladder is where it is the narrowest. When I felt at my worst, the CT scan showed it there.The diameter of your urethra is about 6 mm I read, so that should not be as bad.
First stone past on its own, second stone was huge 14mm.Went nine days before I went to Er.I was septic. Was out in ICU for 4 days. Was told if I waited 6 more hours I'd be dead. 4 years later I'm on my 4 th some 6mm. Looking for a doctor now. Not going to wait.