Urology Community
Husband bleeding from penis after urination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I was wondering if anyone can help. My husband has been experiencing quite a lot of bright red blood after urination. Never the first wee of the day but then every one after that. He has had his urine tested and that was fine and the dr has also tested his prostate which he said seemed fine. He said it could be a burst blood vessel? My husbands condition is not getting any better and he is very worried about this. I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same or could shed any light on this. He is also on TRT if that is any help?

Many thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn

If he is passing different-shaped clots in urinary stream, they could represent bleeding from the urethra or prostate (in men). Clots can be wormlike, and if associated with pain it could represent clots coming from your ureters(tubes from your kidneys to your bladder).

When the blood in the urine is at the beginning of urination, it most likely comes from the urethra, (the tube from the bladder to the outside). Blood throughout urination is most likely from the bladder or kidneys or ureters (the tubes connecting the kidneys and the bladder).

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include Urinalysis, Urine culture, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy, IVP, Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen. I suggest you to consult a urologist for your husband.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

thank you so much for responding. He isn't passing clots that we know of. The way he explains it to me is once he has urinated he gets a strange sensation then the blood comes. This morning the blood has been mixed in to the urine. The doctor said it may be a burst blood vessel and to see how it goes but how long do you leave it for? He is worried sick!

Many thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If it is a burst blood vessel then you should wait for atleast 5-6 days. If repeat happens then it needs thorough examination and investigations.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.