Urology Expert Forum
Hydrocele aspiration with sclerotherapy

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hydrocele aspiration with sclerotherapy

I am 34 year old male. This summer I was diagnosed with the hydrocele of the left testicle after ultrasound was complete.  I remember it being larger than the right one for quiet some time. But in July it became too tight and started causing discomfort and some pain. Sleeping in horizontal position was a challenge and I had to sleep while sitting down on the chair. Eventually pain was gone and I started sleeping normally however the hydrocele was still tight and was still very uncomfortable. The urologist that had seen me suggested aspirating the hydrocele claming that new sclerestomy medication is very good. After the procedure was done within 4-5 days hydrocele was back but seems to be smaller and less tight. I waited for two weeks to do a second procedure. This time there was less liquid that came out. About 140 cubic cm vs. almost 250 cubic cm the first time. I feel that t there is some tightness in my left scrotum already however it is much smaller to the original size. My health insurance runs out soon and I nave a bit of a time frame. I need to be up and running for the middle of December – I teach skiing. Here is my question…

1)Should I wait and see if the procedure is working perhaps aspirate it the third time or contact my doctor and schedule the hydrocelectomy as soon as possible.
2)What would be the recovery time after the operation when would I be able to work.
3)What complications may arise from doing the operation shortly after aspiration with sclerectomy
  I am a bit frustrated with this situation since I do not have a constant medical coverage and my income is very limited. What would you suggest to be the best course of action for me? Thank you for your time. Vlad.

I can't give specific advise regarding your condition without evaluation.

1) The time for optimal efficacy of the sclerotherapy may vary.  If the fluid continues to collect, I agree that surgical removal should be considered.

2) Recovery time after the surgery would vary depending on the size of the hydrocele and the patient.  I would estimate anywhere from 2-6 weeks for recovery.

3) Infection and bleeding would be complications of any surgery.  Recurrence of the hydrocele would also be a consideration.

Discussing these questions with your urologist, or in conjunction with another opinion, should be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Thank you for the prompt reply. However I still have some questions. My hydrocele is still getting bigger and is a little tender to touch. What do I need to do? Vlad.
A related discussion, hydrocele was started.