Urology Expert Forum
Hydroceles

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hydroceles

I noticed my left testicle increasing in size for the last  year.  I went to my Physician and after sending me for an ultrasound he diagnosed me with a Hydrocele.  I met with the Urologist and he explained the outpatient surgery and what to expect after the procedure.

My question is do I have any options besides surgery?  Will the Hydrocele eventually go away or decrease in size?  Is there any medical research or data that shows Hydroceles decreasing in size?  My hydrocele is rather big and very unproportionate compared to my right testicle so it is more than a nuisance than a life-threatening condition.  This Hydrocele has not affected activities such as sports or sex however I would like to look normal again.  Any  replies or comments  would be most beneficial.  Thank you.

To your Health,
Luke
Tags: testicle
Dear Luke,
A hydrocele is simply a fluid collection in the sac (Tunica Vaginalis)surrounding the testicle.  It consists of fluid that is not reabsorbed by the body.  Most hydroceles grow to a certain size and then stabilize.  They are acutely caused by local injury, radiotherapy, acute nonspecific or Tuberculous epididymitis, or orchitis.  It could even occur secondary to a neoplasm.
A chronic hydrocele is more common, it usually occurs in men past the age of 40.  A very tense hydrocele can decrease the circulation to the testicle and cause atrophy(shrinking) and pain.  This later type of hydrocele is more likely your problem.
Your ultrasound result is difficult for me to assess because I cannot see the film.  As long as the testicle could be visualized with good flow and no evidence of any masses, more that not the testicle should be fine.
The only indications for an operation are pain, infection, disabling size, compromised flow to the testicle or cosmetic purposes.  Otherwise a stabilized hydrocele will not cause you a problem.
To eliminate the problem, unfortunately the only durable procedure is surgery.   Some people may advocate sticking a needle in it and draining it, but the hydrocele will usually return.  Talk to your doctor about the different types of surgical procedures.  It is not a big operation and you should go home the same day.
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).

Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-AK
*keyword:Hydrocele

1 Comment
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
I went to my pediatric doctor for a routine check-up. He noticed that my right testicle was larger than my left one. He shown a light through my scrotum and told me i have been diagnosed with Hydroceles. I noticed that it was also, but I thought nothing of it. I was sure that it was just natural. (I did not have an ultrasound.)

My question is will it go away on its own? Will I be needing surgury? Lately, I have been trying to do a little bit of research on the topic, but nothing that answers my questions. I am not quite sure, but I came up with somewhat of a theory on how it happened. I have been doing some pretty lifting around the house helping my father and mother move stuff. Please help. Thank you.