Urology Expert Forum
Hyperdense Cyst?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hyperdense Cyst?

After recent blood work, it was discovered by my endocrinologist that I had five times the normal amount of aldostrone and renin in my bloodstream. After having ruled out renal artery stenosis vvia a renal scan, he advised that it probably was a renin producing tumor. I just had a CT scan which showed the following: one 1.5x1.5 cm. "nodule" on the lower pole of the L kidney and a 1cm. "hyperdense" lesion also on the lower pole. By the wqy, I had fatty infiltration of the L lobe of the liver, don't know if this has anything to do with the other stuff. My question is, what is a "hyperdense" lesion, and is it usually malignant? Could the nodule also be cancerous.? What is the procedure if they are benign, as I experiance incidents of severe hypertension that is barely controlled with medication. I do have constant lower left back pain, but no hematuria as of yet. Are these guys producing the renin, and is that a sign of malignancy? Thank you for any response and info you might give me, as you might be able to discern, I'm quite worried, as my sister had breast cancer two years ago. Thanks again

_
Dear Bonnie,
There are studies that can localize the amount of renin in each of the renal veins such that a side (right or left) can be determined.  It is important because when you are operating for a specific purpose or goal(hypertension), once the surgery is completed, you want to have accomplished that goal.  In this case it would be normal blood pressure.  It would also be important to examine the adrenal glands on the CT scan since aldosterone producing tumors or hyperplastic tissue that produces aldosterone in the adrenals are usually the source.
It is also important to make sure that the masses in the kidney have been sufficiently work-up.  Make sure the lesion you describe in the kidney doesn