Urology Expert Forum
Hypospadia

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hypospadia

I am a male, 32 years old. I was born in Europe with a mild hypospadia with a slight, downward curve. Also, I have an urethral duplication. My "real" urethral opening is just beneath the head (about 1/2 inch from the tip) and the head is split on the bottom side. There are 2 more "blind pits," (very tiny openings) just above the real opening (about 1/4 inch apart from the real opening), not connected to the bladder. Surgery was not performed, I guess when it's not necessary, it is not recommended. When I visited an urologist in my home country he said that I don't need a surgery. Since I was born in Europe, I am not circumsized, but my foreskin looks different than on other uncircumsized men. The foreskin is not all the away down covering fully the head, it is covering about a 1/2 half of the head. I don't have any functional problems (so far), I can pee pretty straight forward without splashing around, no need to sit down. I think it is just a mild aesthetic problem. But I have some questions:

1. How could I get hypospadia? When my mom was pregnant first couple of days or weeks and didn't know about that, she was taking antibiotics (tetracykline or penicillin) due to cold and fewer. Could I get it from this? I don't think there is history of hypospadia in our family.

2. Can a different born defect (stomoschisis) from my grandpa be passed on me in form of a different malformation, such as hypospadia?

3. Can I be circumsized or have it corrected (in order to look similar to other men) at my age having this form of hypospadia? Can I have problems from it? What do you recommend?

4. What causes the downward curve (chordee) when erected? When erected, my curve is not very large (like a small banana). I'm actually proud of the curve, my girlfriend says it's cute. And I found it as an excitement for some women.

5. I'm 5'6" tall, when my penis is erected, its size is about 5.5 inches. Can hypospadia be the reason of my small penis size when erected?

6. As any other born defects, I guess my children can get it from me. But what is the chance to pass it to my offsprings (let's assume my wife doesn't have hypospadia)?

7. When in sexual activities, do I have bigger chance to get a STD with hypospadia?

Thank you for your answers.
I appreciate your help.
Michael.
To answer your questions:
1) I am not aware of an association between hypospadias and perinatal antibiotics.  The frequency of hypospadias is about 3 per 1000 births.

2) There may be a congenital component.  I am not specifically aware that stomoschisis in your grandfather can lead to your hypospadia.

3) I cannot make any recommendations regarding treatment without evaluation.  A referral to a urologist, or a urology second opinion (preferably at a major academic medical center), is recommended.

4) One can consider Peyronie's disease (which is a fibrous condition of the penis, leading the curvature).

5) There can be variation of penis size from patient to patient.  Although possible, I am not specifically aware that penis size is related to hypospadia.

6) It may be possible that hypospadias can be passed down.

7) Although possible, I am not aware of a specific association between hypospadias and STDs.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, hypospadia was started.
A related discussion, hypospdias was started.
let share and learn from each other