Urology Expert Forum
I always feel the need to urinate

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I always feel the need to urinate

I am 16, I have never had sex, which I know can cause cystitis. For nearly two years now I have had a big problem where I feel the need to urinate very often, sometimes every ten minutes. However when I go to the toilet sometimes only a tiny bit of urine comes out, and I still feel as if I need to go. However when I REALLY need to go , as in when I go and lots of urine comes out, I have a different feeling, but it is very annoying. I worry about there being a toilet and I get very worried in exams. I've seen a doctor, and they said it could just be in my mind, please does anyone have and suggestions or things I could so because it's terrible! It's taking over my life, and I've got big exams coming up soon and I don't want to be worried about feeling like I need to go to the toilet! Thanks for any help :/
Tags: feels, worry, urine
HI,  Your problem sounds like overactive bladder.  This is a bladder problem that is driven by urgency.  The constant urge to void causes you to urinate frequently, usually causes you to get up at night to void, and about a third of patients have urge incontinence.  It's not uncommon to see patients complain of this problem happening life long.  The other problem that can cause your symptoms is Interstitial Cystitis (IC).  Patients with IC have pain, pressure or discomfort with bladder filling.  You didn't mention pain symptoms and its rare to get IC at your age.  Roughly 5% of women less than age 24 have overactive bladder.  A urologist or urogynecologist can sort out your problem. I'ts definitely in your head.  There are a number of medications on the market for your problem and your doctor can prescribe one and see how you respond.  A standard medication to try would be Ditropan XL 10mg daily as a start.  If you don't respond to this agent or others in the same class, then you will need specialized testing to sort out the problem.  Eliminate caffein and alcohol frm your diet and don't overdrink or you will make your frequency worse.  and Good Luck.  
Same, i have had it for about a year now, i went to the doctors and they tested me for a bladder infection and it came back neggative. im planning to go back but just to hear that its in my mind will upset me becuase as you say it taking over my life too, i cant drink too much at school becuase i fear of peeing it out :( i have to use the tolet inbetween lessons that sometimes makes me late.i try telling the techers why im late and they get more anrgy for not asking befor i go. i find that taking your mind off it like if your at school realy get into your work or when your out with friend just have a laugh.also repeating to yourself(in your head) "i dont need to pee" sometimes help. im going to the doctors soon so i will see what they say and get back to you, maybe its the same thing.
Find a woman gynecologist or urogynocologist.  Ask to have interstitial cystitis ruled out.
Drink plenty of pure water.  My situation is greatly relieved by drinking distilled water.  The chlorinated tap water brings the pain back every time.  I always have a jug or two of distilled water in my house and in my car.  Read bottled water labels.  A lot of it, both in the gallon size and in the individual sizes, is simply some city's tap water.  Ugh.  Why pay a buck for that?  K-mart usually has the cheapest distilled water in my area.  Some stores have it cheaper in the area where the irons are, but distilled water is distilled water, whether used for ironing (steam) or drinking.  I agree that telling yourself to hold it and that you don't have to go will often work, but I think it helped cause my problem, because I'd go about 13 hrs at a time, (worked 12-hr days and only went at home) and would be about ready to pop!  I found that taking a LOT of Vit C, plus A & D & E, in addition to a regular balanced vitamin-mineral has been helpful for me.  Eliminating dairy and sweets has also been a big help.  Good luck!
Hi, i'm a boy, 18 years old and i have the same problem, i havn't had sex before and it dosn't hurt, just feels like i'm about to **** my pants but i only pee a little bit. Are guy problems diffren to the female problems?

Help me please, i need an answer on whats wrong.
A related discussion, Bladder problem was started.
A related discussion, How to tell if got a bladder infection was started.